SPD show advice for beginner

Darkeeboy1
Darkeeboy1 Posts: 17
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Hello

Ive recently started road cycling and want to upgrade to SPD pedals from normal flats. Im planning on entering a sportive @ Worcester in a couple of weeks time and therefore would like to get the shoes and pedals now to give me at least a week or so's practice! Does anyone have any good recommendations for value-for-money shoes, preferably white!
TIA

Comments

• shimano ro88 £60 most places but you will need converter plates.
  • Cheers will take a look..
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Shoes are a very personal thing but your number one priority should be that they have the stiffest soles you can afford.

Avoid Road shoes if wanting to use SPD cleats. You will need conversion plates and it all gets messy. Look for a high quality MTB shoe. These will often be the same construction as the road equivalent, but with tread blocks on the bottom that will allow you to walk a tiled cafe floor... without braking anything.

I have just bought some white Sidi Dragon 3 shoes. My third pair of SPD shoes, each pair better than the last. These are something else.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • I bought the specialized Sport touring shoes (the Body Geometry ones) - the basic one's are fine for me, done a 42 miler in them and no problems. They look much like a road shoe but fit spd's only (not SL's etc)

I got them from cycle surgery ( http://www.cyclesurgery.com/specialized ... sting=true ) at a good discount.

Certainly stiff enough for me for road use - though I'm only starting back on the road after 25 years MTB. The cleats are almost completely recessed so ok for walking.

May graduate to pucca road soles sometime but for now both the bike and shoes are better than I am :D

cheers
    And
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I wear the Shimano M087 shoe - SPDs only - no hotspots for me and have ridden >80 miles in one hit. They've given me around 6000 miles riding so far (2 years) and no issue.
    One huge benefit (for me) is that when you get off you don't have to walk like a duck ... quite nice if you're walking along Brighton seafront.
  • Specialized Tahoe Sport for me.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/product_tit ... duct/41214

Had them nearly a year, did a 100 miler in them recently, comfy as.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    I have Keo Classic pedals (in my fave biking colour & Specializes Comp Road shoes,

Fairly easy on the pocket for the pedals and getting in and out is not to much hastle.

Wife not happy on the cost of the shoes but hey hoo cannot win em all

1508095_1.jpg

specialized-comp-road-black-red-shoes-2013.jpg
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • Got the sports today, just going to practice clicking in and out!
  • I just grabbed these. Absolutely fantastic!
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lou ... 66#reviews