Do serious riders use Bromptons?

racingt
racingt Posts: 108
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all,
Always loved cycling and have quality bikes but live too close to use them for work. (1 mile)
Not far enough to wear Lycra and I'm not riding any of my favourite bikes whilst wearing a suit, cos it looks and feels stupid. Plus it turns a leisure bike into something associated with work.
Is a Brompton more appropriate to ride? Are they awful to ride in comparison to a 'normal' bike (enigma stainless, campy chorus, Enve wheels)?
I'm guessing not, but would appreciate confirmation. I don't need the folding function, yet, but can see a future need, so I'm thinking Cyclescheme purchase of one.
I guess this mail may offend some, apologies if it does, all advice appreciated, thanks!
Racingt

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are so many ways and bikes to commute. If it works for you then it is the right solution. Personally I think they are way overpriced.
  • Bromptons are excellent and really nippy. They are brilliant in the city and a great ride. I wear a suit to work pretty often. Mine has the higher third gear option which is useful. I know some people who go touring on them as well...
    Thanks, that's great feedback popular name. Got several bikes so not short of a tourer, but a folder could be very useful. And quality remains long after price is forgotten!
  • If you like the bike it is just fine to use it. And Bromptons are not awful to ride at all. In fact they are one of the most convenient and nice to ride bikes.

But I really don't get why don't you want to wear your suit for riding your Enigma steel bike to your work, unless of course there is not a safe enough place to store it while you are there.
    I use my roadie for any jobs or bike rides of any kind, (commuting and recreational and audax ) and I just don't care about any dress codes. I like it and I ride it. Why stick with the idea that each kind of bike needs its own specific outfit after all?

If I can ride it with my lycras, I can ride with my jeans as well and with my dresses. Not for long distances of course, if I wear not specific cycling clothes, but its ok for short distances and I do it.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    It's a fantastic bike but it won't ride exactly like a "normal" "Enigma stainless, campy chorus, Enve wheels" bike.
    You'll look very cool and serious on it in a suit though, if that's what you're mainly concerned about.

Frankly speaking anything will do on a 1m long commute, even feet... :wink:
  • racingt
    Thank Alitogata, to be honest, more concerned about wrecking my suits on the bike! I have a history of oily chain marks on trouser legs:-( guess I could be more disciplined on a Brompton. And riding the best bike is a great stress reliever for me; my short commute makes it into a working bike, which I don't want!
    Thanks Barteus, yep, kinda guessed it wouldn't ride the same ;-) actually don't want it too. And feet, I hate walking, and have you seen the price of Church's shoes? You don't want to walk in them:-)
  • I get the impression form the title of the thread and some of your comments you're more worried about what you'll look like than anything else. I would say walk if the distance is a mile, but I presume you'd rather have the extra hassle and ride a bike after all it's cool to be a cyclist these days. If you wanna be cool, different, original or whatever else then get a penny farthing.
  • racingt
    Keith, its not about being cool. I'm not worried about image, rode in the Pyrenees in July on my own so I actually enjoy the ride for its own sake. And I'm equally happy on an iaudax,racing, tandem bike or a Honda, ktm, or BMW. It's just about having the right tool for the job, which is a short distance in a suit!
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Bromptons aren't the only folding bike option.

I've got road bikes, hybrid, mountain bikes and a Tern Verge P18 for going in the boot and with studs fitted it is my winter commuter.

I ride it distances from less than a mile up to 30 miles and wear work clothes or my mountain bikes baggies.

Still has a twitchy ride, but easily cruises at 16+ and I've descended at 30 without any worries. Just takes a bit of getting used to and a bit more care with the road surfaces.

In winter it is ideal for ice and slippery surfaces with studded Schwalbe Marathons. Lower centre of gravity, step through frame and flat pedals mean it is ideal. Much happier on it rather than being clipped in on my hybrid even with studs or winter tyres.
  • racingt
    Thanks Ian, will check that out.
  • I have a Brompton that's about 7 years old, rather battered, not really looked after that well and love it.

If I'm training it to work or elsewhere it's far better at the other end than tube, bus, taxi or Boris bike. Plus it goes on Eurostar as free luggage without booking (if you fork out a few quid for the basic bag).

It has it's role and I would be very reluctant to part with it.

They are a bit pricey, but they fold down small and very quickly and the quality is top notch.

If you're looking at buying one, I have the 6 speed with a rear rack. If I did it again I'd go for the 2 speed and no rack - cheaper and lighter.

Am I a serious cyclist? Dunno.

I'm serious about cycling. But do I have a £10k Pinarello with all the gear (helmet, road shoes, replica kit, etc) that would mark me as a "serious cyclist"? Nope.

Is a Brompton cool? I don't give a stuff.
  • racingt
    Andrew, that's just the answer I needed. I love cycling, owned bikes 75% of my life, but prob not serious.
    I just think I need a folder and it sounds like the brompton is good.
    Just a shame its not belt drive!
  • racingt
    Oh, and the 2speed, no rack is the one I'm thinking of.
  • S2LX all the way. 2 speed. Light. Titanium.
    It's got the most aggressive riding position (which isn't saying much though).

Pimp it out with short carbon bar ends, a nice road saddle and you're good to go.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    In my stable of 5 bikes, my battered old brompton s2l is probably the one that puts the biggest smile on my face. I use it everyday, shirt, shorts, lyrca whatever. Folds smaller than all the other folders, compact and stable on the train, handles great and is pretty nippy with Kojak tyres and firm suspension. The price seems ridiculous until you ride one, then it doesn't seem like they're charging enough. Not all folders are the same, believe me.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • There's an old geezer round our way has some ancient old folding thing from the 70's with drop bars, he has blown more than a few "proper" bikes into the weeds and looks cool in a sort of nutty professor type of way.

As for Bromptons, plenty of serious chaps ride them, you'd have to be pretty darn serious to fork out the wedge they command.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2013
    Another Brompton rider here, and yes hey are a damn good bike and ride well, especially on the straight S bars. Different to a road be or mountain bike, but not inferior, an date suspension block soaks up the bumps well.

Yes they are expensive, but hold their value well and are well screwed together. Mine is 8 years and all have had to replace is stuff like tyres chains sprockets cables from normal wear and tear. Plus, given it was bought under cycle to work, it's still probably worth what I paid (net) for it. They hold their value well.

Plus nothing else folds as well. If you do a cycle train cycle commute as I do, nothing comes close.

EDIT agree will below vvvvvv I have some stubby bar ends which are useful on longer rides to give you a different hand position
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Second the bar ends - I have them on mine and it makes a massive difference - although my Brompton is about ten years old and therefore before these new fangled different bar shapes... :-)

A Brompton's a great investment & very enjoyable to ride. I work by contract so never quite sure what's coming up - the Brompton has been so useful when I've commuted on the train (but the office was a long walk from destination) or worked away, travelling by car & the Brompton provided great recreational exercise.

You won't break speed records on it, but it IS nippy, stable & has really good resale value. Thing is, get a good lock - (New York Cryptonite ? ) my first Brompton was stolen within 4 hours of setting foot in London, even though secured by two thick, but ultimately useless cable locks.

Only if you want to cover long hilly distances would I say the Brompton is not well suited - basic dynamics of small wheels, but on the flat, I would say the performance is good (perhaps 5mph down on my racer).

Overall 100% recommend & love the product - after 5+ years of use, it's the best thing I own.

Peter.
  • racingt
    Wow guys, that's some pretty positive response.
    I can see they are popular, and, to be honest, that many people will not be wrong.
    Looks like a S2l X for me.
    Ditto comments on holding value; one guy on Gumtree selling one for +£100 versus new, he says you can miss the build time! Plus cycle to work scheme saves 40%, spreads the cost over months.
    Was considering Moulton TSR2, like the belt drive, but heavy & poor folding.
    So Brompton for me.
    Thanks!!
  • Quick note on the Brompton economics.
    My first S2LX December 2007 was £1015 all in (raw lacquer) on the C2W scheme. Net to me £580 after the tax benefits.

Sold it Dec 2011 £790 (I hadn't used it in a long while) - so 4 years of ownership and I "made" £210

Granted they are a lot more expensive now, but the basic retained value calcs should be pretty similar.
    (I too do contract work now, and never know where I'll be. I live out of the S bag during the week and cycle everywhere on it. It will have paid for itself shortly, after 6 months of ownership)
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Brommies are fine bikes and may future-proof your cycling lifestyle, should it go foldy, but they are overkill for a 1 mile suit ride.

The bike you need is a non suspension 3 speed with carbon gates drive for clean running, rack, mudguards, dynamo-hub lights and Marathon Plus tyres. Gates drive requires a split rear triangle.
    Who makes this for thew UK market?
  • racingt
    Not overkill Michael, saving wear on one of my motorcycles:-)
  • Why a folder specifically? Sound like you need a pub / shopping / commute bike. Nothing against Bromptons but I don't see your need for a folding bike. Maybe get a Dutch bike or a cheap hybrid, maybe a utility bike.

Something I'd say about cycling in a suit - the Dutch bike style is good - wider and lower seat puts less stress on the trouser crotch. Upright means some airflow between shirt and back, plus good visibility. Also the different position makes you feel like you want to cycle more leisurely!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    racingt wrote:
    Not overkill Michael, saving wear on one of my motorcycles:-)

A bike is a great idea but with the Brommie you are paying a premium for some great features that you don't need.
    This Breezer Beltway 8 was the kind of clean-riding, grab-and-go urban bike I was suggesting.
  • Now that's more like it - if only it was about 1/4 of the price.

I've come full circle on this - I have a Condor Fratello which I've been using for a 6-7 mile each way commute but it seems crazy putting on padded shorts and special shoes for that. Dutch bikes are the way forward - I'm feeling all evangelical about it after a trip to the Netherlands recently. This place: http://www.amsterdammers.co.uk

Having said that, I do have a Brompton (an S3L with reduced gearing - the top gear is 72 inches, the same as my fixie, which feels just perfect, a slightly smaller gear for setting off and a granny gear for big hills). A key advantage of a Brompton is that you can fold it up and take it inside with you easily - much more secure than leaving on the street.

n+1 ...
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • racingt
    Michaelw, I'm totally with you on the belt drive. I wish I could convert my Rohloff tandem. A Moulton TSR2 is another beltdrive option, won't fold like a Brompton, or hold its value, but will be a clean ride and fun.
    100rdth idiot, Dutchbikes are also an option, then buy a folder when or if I need one. I travel to Holland regularly, could buy 2nd hand, ride it to Hoek and ferry home :-) Agree the riding position point, that's why I don't use a racer/MTb in a suit.
    My LBS has 2 demo Bromptons, going to test ride them, and if they make me smile, I will probably go for one. Buying on Ride to Work scheme so there is a good saving. Thanks for all the tips, guys, great advice!!
  • I just had my first week with a Brompton M3L and am impressed. Really nice riding position for traffic and quite nippy. Really well built and the folding mechanism is just genius. Worth the money for sure. Plus anyone can use it as you just adjust saddle accordingly which is handy if you are trusting!

I used to go on a road bike there and back to work but have no shower at the new place so the Brompton is my solution. I scoot down to the tube in the morning (1.8 miles) and cycle all the way home (12 miles) and have had no problem. And this is following a long break off the bike, so once legs are back should be even easier.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......