Back after 4 years what Bike help

tobamory
tobamory Posts: 101
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys im Rob live in Leeds and have been away from the scene for about 3 to 4 years due to working away.
Back in the day I had an Orange E8 pro which I still own but wife now uses it, and an Orange 5 Pro, of which I sold to my brother.

Im now looking again at a new bike and wanted a general steer. FYI I like the 5 pro and the way you say more upright the feel and general ride was great too, but im thinking of steering away from Orange this time and trying something new.

Ive rung around and get general advice on Scott/Cannondale etc but im slowly leaning towards 3 makes

Cannondale
lapierre
Santa Cruz

Can anybody whos been on the scene forever and generally keeps up to date with the Bikes advise me, My budget will be around 3k, I will be doing XC and Trail no downhill really.
im drawing the line at Alli, not too fussed about Carbon as this will up the price, and gear wise XT is good enough don't want XTR really,

nice to have would be locking rear shock from handle bars, or I heard some are intelligent now and know when im going up-hill ?

Also the old sant cruz debate are they good as I read, don't seem to read many bad reviews on them. Id like to get a 650b (27.5) but unsure if they do it yet on the Cruz range.

Whats the views on the other 2 makes also. thanks guys

Rob

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Santa Cruz are stunning bikes and get good write ups

The new Solo is 650b and 125mm rear and 130mm front (could probably use 140mm) review for the carbon so I doubt Ali will be much different http://m.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categor ... -13-47352/
    The frame is £1750 which is quite expensive but you could build it with SLX and XT for £3k

Personally I wouldn't bother with cannondale
    Lapierre are fine and slightly better value than Santa Cruz

For Trails I'd check out the new Transition bandit, it's a proper ripper (Although I am bias as I've just ordered a new Transition Covert)

Also check out the age old spesh Stumpjumper

Also for gear I'd say get SLX, the difference between SLX and XT is minimal and I would get full SLX (inc brakes) and just get XT shifters and maybe cassette and rear mech purely for weight, then spend the change on good suspension and wheels

As for the shock lockout, Lapierre are pretty much the only brand that have the intelligent shock system, lockout on the bars aren't too common and on the fox CTD it's very easy just to flick the switch on the shock
  • Thanks

better Value is key.

I wondered if you paid for the name with Santa Cruz, like buying a car BMW MERC at a premium.

Im drawing towards the Tallboy 2 LTC or Bronson. or Lapierre, just taking a look at your covert, which did you go for and why ?
  • ej2320
    edited September 2013
    Not really, you don't pay for the brand as such, it's more to do with the various import taxes the they have to pay to get the bikes over here.. they then slap that on to the overall price

My dream bike is a Bronson but I just can't afford it, are you sure you need 150mm? if you're just riding XC and trails the Solo would be better suited..?

The tallboy is a 29er, again, it's a very desirable bike and rated highly by the various magazines. IMO Santa Cruz bikes are the best looking on the market.

The Lapierre 2014 bikes launch soon (In fact most brands are) so the websites are outdated..
    This should give you a flavor http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Lapierre-2 ... cked-.html

The Santa Cruz website is regularly updated and all the bikes you see on there are mainly new for the 2014 season.

I went for this covert 27.5 2014 http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/tra ... 14-/246944

Several reasons.. I think it's respectable pricing, they are a really friendly company and good to deal with, I wanted a 2013 one but they sold out almost everywhere, they're not that common on the trails and it just looks like a very fun bike to ride. (I also got a pre order offer from my LBS)

for the riding you describe I'd say the bandit is better and it has 140mm rear and 150mm front this year. I went for the covert as I plan on taking it to enduro events and some downhill runs as well as my regular trail riding.

This is very good value and if you're keen on a long travel bike I'd check out this http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/fullsuspens ... pa-tm-275/ Handle bar lockout and the gear ect. It may be slightly over your budget but you'd struggle to match it on value unless you used Canyon mail order bikes. Although for the riding you describe I think 160mm is too much.
  • ej2320
    Also if you wanted a burly 29er, Cube make the stereo HPC super 140.. whatever it is. Transiton also make a Covert 29 which I think is 140mm for 2014.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shouldn't you ride them before recommending them?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:
    Shouldn't you ride them before recommending them?

I'm just suggesting, not recommending, it's up to him to ride them
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd be looking at the Canyon offerings. So much more spec for your money.
  • ej2320
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd be looking at the Canyon offerings. So much more spec for your money.

2014 bikes look very well designed
  • i appreciate the input EJ,

FYI i plan to test them, but i was like Rabbit in the Headlights when i picked up the MTB mag again, i just wanted some steer towards my next purchase.

I have specced up a bronson, as well as the tallboy 2 650B.....

Ive also just checked out that Video for the lapierre, looks good but i wonder how strong all that relay stuff is, one face plant and i reakon itll break....

where did you get the convert, looks nice. Might save me a few bob
  • ej2320
    The Transitions don't ship till November so depends how urgent you are..

I'm ordering it from a local shop, really nice people and would recommend them http://www.plushhillcycles.co.uk/

But it will be too far for you in Leeds however but I'm sure you can get Transition online, like supersonic said if you're going down the online order route check out https://www.canyon.com/_en/eurobike2013 ... bikes.html probably the best value you'll find
  • FYI guys I ordered a Santa Cruz solo , in orange alloy with upgraded forks and shocks to the kashima ones, and DMR v12.

I may add a dropper seat post when I get the call their building it, but as of yet the solos are awaiting delivery I'm hoping October ISh but not holding my breath.

I went to my brothers today and test drove all his

Titus X ...... Very light XC nice bike, but a bit too much like my Orange E8
    Cove .... Nice bike this but hard tail and I want full sus
    Orange Blood... Very nice like riding a sofa, super damping but not what I need for XC and trail, but good to have a go lol
    Orange 5 ( my old one I sold him ) as always a great ride, new bomber forks on it felt nice.

Anyway thanks for the replies

Rob