Big climbs with big bikes: who boasts the most?

2»

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I rode the Dragon this year on my alu winter bike with 53/39 12-25 as my 'best' bike was out of action and I was flying past loads of people with cervelos and s-works...its not about the bike. Did it in 7 hours 44 min and the bike weighs easy 9 1/2 KG. Had I been on my race bike I'd have probably only shaved 10-15 minutes off of that time with a similar effort level.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dodgy wrote:
    +1

In my opinion, Hardknot followed by Wrynose is harder than any HC alpine climb that I've done. I was in the Alps in July (also climbed Joux Plane, Joux Verte, Ramaz, L'Encrenaz, Colombiere while I was there), and while they're tough, the gradient is well, errr - graded.

Did you do Col du Romme as well? TBF, that is a pig in hot temperatures (just goes on and on and on) but I still never thought I'd have to get off!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Rolf F wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    +1

In my opinion, Hardknot followed by Wrynose is harder than any HC alpine climb that I've done. I was in the Alps in July (also climbed Joux Plane, Joux Verte, Ramaz, L'Encrenaz, Colombiere while I was there), and while they're tough, the gradient is well, errr - graded.

Did you do Col du Romme as well? TBF, that is a pig in hot temperatures (just goes on and on and on) but I still never thought I'd have to get off!

Col de Romme is the alternative way up to Le Reposoir isn't it? Nope, never been up that way, I'm back in the same area next year so it sounds like another one to chalk up!

PS - Descent into Morzine from Avoriaz is epic!
  • 12kg isn't that bad!
  • rolf_f
    dodgy wrote:
    Col de Romme is the alternative way up to Le Reposoir isn't it? Nope, never been up that way, I'm back in the same area next year so it sounds like another one to chalk up!

Yes - TDF did it in 2009. It makes the whole Columbiere experience somewhat more trying! This is what it looks like from the road up to Col du Pierre Carre. Romme goes diagonally up the cliff in the centre, into the shadowy bit and then across to the col towards the left and there is a lot of 12% in the first half! Then you lose half of it again descending to Le Reposoir! The traditional route is the valley to the right of the cliff.

Photo0374_zpsdb9ac5bd.jpg

You get a nice view of Le Reposoir and Columbiere in the distance though.

Photo0363_zpsb3a03bb7.jpg

Incidentally, Col du Pierre Carre from Chatillon is well worth a look. Highest climb in the area. A lovely set of hairpins at the top which make up for the fact that there's nowt to do but come back down again the same way!
    dodgy wrote:
    PS - Descent into Morzine from Avoriaz is epic!

That'll be the one where I overtook a UK reg Discovery on the inside of one of the last hairpins above Morzine! I knew he wouldn't let me past like a local so I didn't give him the chance to get in my way and spoil a perfect descent! 8)
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Rolf F wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    even on really tough climbs. (which we don't actually have in Great Britain anyway)

:lol:

Indeed! I think Simon may have received a knock to his noggin!

Oops, I forgot about the British alps. Silly me. ;)

There are many climbs in the UK that would be physically more demanding than a long Alpine climb. Not as long obviously but from a gradient point of view far tougher.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Thanks for the info Rolf F, it's my favourite area for alpine cycling. We stay near Samoens at the foot of the Joux Plane. Will definitely try the alternatives you mentioned above.
  • I have changed the title of the thread to reflect the new discussion... I hope you like it... :mrgreen:

I've done this with my big 11 Kg bike...

obj12geo4pg2p9.png
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    dodgy wrote:
    Thanks for the info Rolf F, it's my favourite area for alpine cycling. We stay near Samoens at the foot of the Joux Plane. Will definitely try the alternatives you mentioned above.

Same here! Try Chalet 365 on the edge of Samoens- it's really very good. Food superb (I mean, really superb - best I've had probably!) and Chris, one of the couple who run it, is a keen cyclist with useful advice and he'll come out with you if he can and you want! The only downside is the steep climb to the chalet at the end of the day!
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Same here! Try Chalet 365 on the edge of Samoens- it's really very good. Food superb (I mean, really superb - best I've had probably!)

Superb food in the french Alps... mmmhhh, I can tell you come from Leeds... :wink::wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I have changed the title of the thread to reflect the new discussion... I hope you like it... :mrgreen:

I've done this with my big 11 Kg bike...

obj12geo4pg2p9.png

Ah ... hotlinking ... god I love hotlinking on my 16Kg bike ...
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    Same here! Try Chalet 365 on the edge of Samoens- it's really very good. Food superb (I mean, really superb - best I've had probably!)

Superb food in the french Alps... mmmhhh, I can tell you come from Leeds... :wink::wink:

The people who run the place are from West Yorkshire too! :lol:
  • Is a sh*t (ish) rider on a good bike better than a good rider on a sh*t bike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THpxtR717wY
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    That's fine about changing the title. I thought somebody hacked in to my account and posted a thread lol.

I appreciate the response that somepeople have given and thanks to all the sarcastic comments made too. Nice to see people riding heavy bikes. Lol.
  • nochekmate wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    even on really tough climbs. (which we don't actually have in Great Britain anyway)

:lol:

Indeed! I think Simon may have received a knock to his noggin!

Oops, I forgot about the British alps. Silly me. ;)

There are many climbs in the UK that would be physically more demanding than a long Alpine climb. Not as long obviously but from a gradient point of view far tougher.

You are of course correct. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm not being entirely serious; just making the point that mountainous racing for 6 hours in sweltering heat is a more appropriate context than an amateur sportive event for concern about the weight of the bike. ;)
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Mechanism wrote:
    Is a sh*t (ish) rider on a good bike better than a good rider on a sh*t bike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THpxtR717wY

Pinnacle versus BMC huh? Nice exposure for Evans' merchandise if nothing else ;)
  • I swapped with my son the other day, I got the MTB, he got my road bike, definitely leveled the playing field and we both got more of a workout than we'd usually get when riding together.

The OP can lose a kilo and loads of rolling resistance by swapping out the tyres for Gators or Duranos
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.