Cassette replacement choice

jamestinker
jamestinker Posts: 12
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone

I have the following:

Shimano RD-M510-L 9 speed (Super long cage)
Shimano FC-M442/443: 22/32/44
Front Mech - unknown, has no label.

I previously had a Shimano HG 8 speed 11-30T cassette which has just broken. Again, no label, so not sure what it was. The whole system has been ok up till now.

I gather that thickness of chainrings and sprockets are the same for 8 or 9 speed, it's just the spacing that varies, so the crankset I was using should be fine (there are no specs online to suggest what speed to use it with)

And I believe the 9 speed derailleur is fine to use with an 9 speed chain and 8 speed cassette. Well it has been anyway.

My top sprocket broke. I could just replace it with a similar cassette, but I've always found the bike maxes out at 44-11 too low. i.e. it isn't hard enough to pedal, and I cannot go fast enough.

As you see I'm a bit of a heath robinson, so I'd like to use my existing equipment. Is there a cassette ratio which would increase the difficulty with 8 speed? I gather I need to decrease the number of cassette teeth i.e. less than 11T, or increase the chainring teeth i.e. more than 44T, but I don't really want to change it over.

I am a general purpose commuter, with 26" wheels on a mountain bike sized frame. It is the Tern Joe P24.

Thanks

Comments