charity XC event.(fork upgrade)

fredblob
fredblob Posts: 196
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
so ive apllied/registered interest do a local charity XC/cross country event on 13th October

http://www.stedmundswheel.org.uk/newride.html

just wondering if it was worth me considering a possible upgrade to my current forks before entering im not mega competitive but i would like to win or least finish in the top 5.

currently forks are

SR SUNTOUR XCR-LO, COIL, 100MM, LOCKOUT, 1-1/8"

jus wondering what people would recommend and how easy they are to fit if any upgrade is needed thanks or advice.

Comments

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    You do realise it's just a charity ride not a race? Where you finish doesn't matter, I wouldn't bother upgrading just for that event.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    I would not bother upgrading.

On another topic, glad to note they state that all of the proceeds go to charity. A 'mate' of mine once set up a company to run charity bike rides. All good and noble except that down in the colonies at least (Australia), he only needed to donate 4% of gross revenue to charity to market it as a charity event, and that was tax deductible. I always felt that was a little wrong...
  • raldat wrote:
    I would not bother upgrading.

On another topic, glad to note they state that all of the proceeds go to charity. A 'mate' of mine once set up a company to run charity bike rides. All good and noble except that down in the colonies at least (Australia), he only needed to donate 4% of gross revenue to charity to market it as a charity event, and that was tax deductible. I always felt that was a little wrong...

sounds a little wrong should donate atleast 50% sounds as your mate was doing it to make quick money rather then help a charity out not very good of him :( .

@windyG oops my bad guess its pretty hard to win some thing with no positions :lol::lol::lol::lol:

ill guess ill save my money for a drink or two after the event then : :P

thanks for the advice
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Or donate some of it to charity...

Even if it was a race you wouldn't lose because of your forks!
  • fredblob wrote:
    im not mega competitive but i would like to win or least finish in the top 5.
    er...

That's like when someone starts a sentence with "now, I'm no racist, but..."
  • fredblob wrote:
    er...

ive started many a sentence like that the key is to be very careful with what you say after that :D
  • njee20 wrote:
    Or donate some of it to charity...

Even if it was a race you wouldn't lose because of your forks!

yeah but always good to have better forks jus incase.
  • fredblob wrote:
    fredblob wrote:
    er...

ive started many a sentence like that the key is to be very careful with what you say after that :D
    You mean, like...
    "Now, I'm not a racist, but I do prefer the taste of white chocolate"? :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or brown sugar.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I agree, sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to upgrade. Just do it. I am fairly sure it will make next to no difference in your overal speed, but it will make you feel better.
  • Russyh wrote:
    I agree, sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to upgrade. Just do it. I am fairly sure it will make next to no difference in your overal speed, but it will make you feel better.

probably true thou im a bit skint atm
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    with the greatest respect, if you are skint then looking for a replacement fork should be the last thing you should be doing. Just enjoy your bike for what it is and when you find yourself a little flush, upgrade your fork then. Change for changes sake is fine if you have the wedge, change for neccesity is fine if you dont.