not feeling the urge to wear lycra!

2»

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    iamcami wrote:
    :P what's the advantage? less sweat? im a man, sweat doesn't bother me... more streamlined? well im just geting a better workout with the wind against me. soon they'll be selling cycling tooth paste, cycling deodorant, cycling water and you'll all buy it right up

Its not about less sweat, more about letting your sweating do its job to cool your body by being wicked away, which does result in less sweat because your body temp is not so hot in the summer (as the cooling is now working better), which means you dont lose so much fluid that needs to be replaced. Is also about not getting sticky and uncomfortable with clothes sticking to you, not getting cold in the winter because your wet clothes are now freezing but dont dry out.

All that, plus the aero benefits if you go tight(ish) arent just about less effort but also more comfort because things arent flapping around.
  • apreading wrote:
    Actually, the goodie bag at the end of the Wiggle sportive I did had some toothpaste in it...!

Plus the guide to prostate health, don't forget that!
  • apreading wrote:
    iamcami wrote:
    iamcami wrote:
    :P what's the advantage? less sweat? im a man, sweat doesn't bother me... more streamlined? well im just geting a better workout with the wind against me. soon they'll be selling cycling tooth paste, cycling deodorant, cycling water and you'll all buy it right up

Dont mess around here....were can we get the cycling tooth paste?? :P
    blame wiggle

Actually, the goodie bag at the end of the Wiggle sportive I did had some toothpaste in it...!

dammit, thought i was on to something there
  • I've just got into road biking too and I'm fat. I started out with tight shorts for the crotch padding and have just picked full kit up of bibshorts and top. Just go for it.
  • very overweight so went for bib shorts but wear them under normal shorts and a t shirt at the moment
  • iamcami wrote:
    :P what's the advantage?

The big advantages -
    - Better sweat wicking resulting in less friction,
    - Moving the padding to you (where it moves with you rather than you rubbing against it) resulting in less friction,
    - more aero,
    - nothing digging in (hence bibshorts etc, a real boon in winter especially if you're in more than one layer),

Why's that a benefit? If you spend a lot of time on the bike without then you'll almost certainly start developing saddle sores, not a lesson you want to learn first hand...

EDIT - For most people wearing some under normal shorts will work pretty well, might be hot on a warm day but it'll still help.
  • Tiny cock? :D .... well someone had to say it :oops:

Makes a change for the girls to have something to ogle at.

Seriously though cycling long distance in non cycling specific shorts means the seams will bring on saddle sores which are no fun.

And leg shaving in case of serious off's??? LOLS, get off, unless you are a pro and getting a pro massage everyday it is nothing but total wannabe vanity :lol:
  • ha, woah forum auto word change, I did'nt write 'fool', it rhymed with sock and but began with a 'c' :D
  • Navrig wrote:
    Once you realise the comfort factor of Lycra you won't go back. Just try it.

How about a compromise? Plain bib shorts (Endura / Altura / whatever) and a t-shirt?
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    I'd say a regular tec-T (as runners & gym-bunnies wear) would be perfectly comfortable over your bibs. No back pockets though, which would put me off.
  • Ridiculous not to wear proper bibs. And make sure the straps go over the jersey.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Kerguelen wrote:
    Navrig wrote:
    Once you realise the comfort factor of Lycra you won't go back. Just try it.

How about a compromise? Plain bib shorts (Endura / Altura / whatever) and a t-shirt?

Yes but the three pockets are very useful.

Make sure the t-shirt wickes away sweat.

Or get a larger than you need, plain, cycling jersey.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    You might feel a little self-conscious but as has been pointed above no-one is looking.

Also, no-one goes back to wearing baggy clothes having tried proper cycling shorts and a jersey and there is a good reason for that. They are the right clothes for the job.