Mech Length

1340jas
1340jas Posts: 217
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.
Can I run a medium length rear derailleur on a bike which normally has a long one.
The bike is a Banta Cruz Bronson. I know that the difference in cage length is only about 10mm and is I shorten the chain taking into account rear end travel what problems could I encounter.
the reason I ask is because I got a new XT rear and it was a medium and I cant return it.
Many Thanks.

Jas'

Comments

• 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    I should have added I'm running an 11-32 cassette with a triple chain ring the largest being 42 tooth.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to check the capacity of the mech - will be on the instructions or Shimano website, and check that against what you need - (big-small chainring) + (big-small cog).

The chain length is measured without the mech so is immaterial.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Mech won't have enough capacity, medium cage shimano is something like 33. If you're running 11-32 at the back that's 21 already, with a triple up front you'll be well over.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep, figures are something like that so it won't work. Unless you lose the big ring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools