Paris - Roubaix Challenge

djhermer
djhermer Posts: 328
I'm on the verge of going for this next year. The proper 170km route which takes place the day before the pro race rather than one of the Sportive routes that take in some of the course.

I believe there are several companies offering tour packages to include travel, bike transport, hotels and also take in the pro race before returning.

Does anyone have any experience of any operators of such tours? Any recommendations / avoids?

Any comments on the event as an experience all welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• Actually the event which takes in the official route is held in June and organised by the Roubaix Velo club, while the ASO one you mention is a watered down version (or at least it was over the past two years). The one in June is also a lot cheaper and you don't need to buy a whole package... but then again, your call
    left the forum March 2023
  • Actually the event which takes in the official route is held in June and organised by the Roubaix Velo club, while the ASO one you mention is a watered down version (or at least it was over the past two years). The one in June is also a lot cheaper and you don't need to buy a whole package... but then again, your call

Thanks Ugo. Of course you're right. What I meant was of the events that take place around the time of the pro race its the one which takes in more of the actual route and more of the pave.

I guess the attraction of tying it in with watching the pro race is part of the draw for me.

Am I correct in thinking you've done the June event? Ive done some searching in the forums and seem to recall you mentioning it somewhere. If so, thoughts?

Cheers
  • djhermer wrote:
    Actually the event which takes in the official route is held in June and organised by the Roubaix Velo club, while the ASO one you mention is a watered down version (or at least it was over the past two years). The one in June is also a lot cheaper and you don't need to buy a whole package... but then again, your call

Thanks Ugo. Of course you're right. What I meant was of the events that take place around the time of the pro race its the one which takes in more of the actual route and more of the pave.

I guess the attraction of tying it in with watching the pro race is part of the draw for me.

Am I correct in thinking you've done the June event? Ive done some searching in the forums and seem to recall you mentioning it somewhere. If so, thoughts?

Cheers
    I've done the June one in 2010, a famously wet edition... we rode for nearly two hours under a storm... then cleared to leave a nice summer day. It is tough... my fingers did ache for a couple of months after. It is an experience and one you should do if you like the spring classics... The only problem is the logistics of an event that starts at A and finished at B, miles away...
  • I am presuming that the Paris Roubaix is a lot harder on the bike and rider than the Tour of Flanders.

The cobbles sections on Paris Roubaix look like they are harder than Flanders due to the fact that they are longer. Paris Roubaix looks flatter by a long shot but gravity isn't the issue if you have much more cobble sections on the route. Flanders cobbles look smaller and less bumpy and kinder on the bike..... although still a massive test of your strength.

I wonder if there is anybody on this forum that has done both the Tour of Flanders Cyclosportive and the Paris Roubaix.

It's horses for courses but I would say Roubaix looks harder . What do you think ?
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I am thinking on signing up for the June event next year.

I would likely d it on a steel framed cyclocross bike to try to take some of the sting out of the cobbles - accepting a weight/speed penalty of course.

Any tips welcome! How easy is it to enter? Does anyone know when entries become available?
  • clanton wrote:
    I am thinking on signing up for the June event next year.

I would likely d it on a steel framed cyclocross bike to try to take some of the sting out of the cobbles - accepting a weight/speed penalty of course.

Any tips welcome! How easy is it to enter? Does anyone know when entries become available?

Very easy, you can enter on the day or the day before, if you wish so
  • I am presuming that the Paris Roubaix is a lot harder on the bike and rider than the Tour of Flanders.

The cobbles sections on Paris Roubaix look like they are harder than Flanders due to the fact that they are longer. Paris Roubaix looks flatter by a long shot but gravity isn't the issue if you have much more cobble sections on the route. Flanders cobbles look smaller and less bumpy and kinder on the bike..... although still a massive test of your strength.

I wonder if there is anybody on this forum that has done both the Tour of Flanders Cyclosportive and the Paris Roubaix.

It's horses for courses but I would say Roubaix looks harder . What do you think ?

I've done both - 1x Roubaix (the 210k Roubaix Velo Club version last year) and 3x Flanders (although only the 135k for logistical reasons).

The cobbles in Roubaix are much, much worse. It is the most physically draining day I have ever had on a bike. The vibration from the cobbles is unreal and every fibre of your body will ache for days afterwards.

The stones in Flanders are 'easy' by comparison. Hands on the tops or the drops, turn a big gear and keep your speed up works for me. I actually enjoy the short but steep climbs and of course Belgium is God's country when it comes to apres-ride refreshments :)
    Alex
  • JSS
    JSS Posts: 55
    Everyone I have talked to says that P-R is one of the toughest days they have ever had on a bike.

Saving the experience up for the future!