Wheel truing - bike shop asking for £42?!

mikelunnparsons
mikelunnparsons Posts: 6
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I tried to true my back wheel and messed it up quite badly and took it to the shops to see if they could do it and were asking for £42. How much should wheel truing cost normally?

The wheel isn't buckled - but is very out of true because I don't have a truing stand or V brakes.

I would like to know why the shop would be asking for £42 for truing.

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Don't ask us, ask them. - Are they maybe planning on rebuilding the wheel from scratch? New spokes, etc? If you're not happy with the answers, go elsewhere.
  • There's one spoke which is loose which I don't think they noticed. Other than that, it was simply just straightening the wheel.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My 2 LBS both charge £20 for a truing......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    My 2 LBS both charge £20 for a truing......

I'm planning to visit another bike shop.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    I paid £15 to get a pretty mullered (I thought it was a goner) wheel trued last month - that's London prices too.

As above though - maybe there's materials costs, mine didn't need new spokes or anything.
  • It only needs one spoke as far I know. It's quite mullered indeed but £42 is out of the question. A new wheel is probably £50-£60
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A pair of decent wheels from Merlin is £60, obviously not sure what you have now!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • £10 a true here, £15 if they have to unwind all the spokes
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    £15 to do 2 completely detensioned wheels, including putting that spoke lock stuff on each.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    £8 per wheel !

£20 for a rebuild (plus the rim price) so basically their ripping you off ! even London prices arent that expensive !
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Spoke key for about £3 and watch some youtube videos, you can flip the bike over and use the frame/forks as a wheel jig and a couple of zip ties as indicators. Its not as hard as many think as long as you do things in the right order. If you get it miles out what have you lost, a shop will still charge you the same as long as the wheel doesnt resemble a well known brand of potato snack.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • he's already had a go himself! hence why he's now paying someone to correct his attempt!
  • stubs
    he's already had a go himself! hence why he's now paying someone to correct his attempt!

Sorry didnt word it right meant watch some videos to see how its done then have a go. Just diving in without knowing how its done can be nasty. Probably advice too late for OP but worth it for someone else in the same situation.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    Spoke key for about £3 and watch some youtube videos, you can flip the bike over and use the frame/forks as a wheel jig and a couple of zip ties as indicators. Its not as hard as many think as long as you do things in the right order. If you get it miles out what have you lost, a shop will still charge you the same as long as the wheel doesnt resemble a well known brand of potato snack.

Yes. I didn't simply dive in. I bought myself a multi-head spoke key / circle and used that and watched several videos on how to do it thinking "This doesn't look so hard." You're right in it not being too difficult just it's really messed up and the spoke needs replacing regardless.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I normally pay around £12-£15 a wheel to be trued and they are normally really all over the place by the time they need to go to a shop as i do my own if it's just a bit out or a spoke or 2 loose.
    I think i'd be asking why they want £42 for a pretty routine job.
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:

Yes. I didn't simply dive in. I bought myself a multi-head spoke key / circle and used that and watched several videos on how to do it thinking "This doesn't look so hard." You're right in it not being too difficult just it's really messed up and the spoke needs replacing regardless.

If you have had a go then it is time for a wheelbuilder to have a go. Ask around whats the best locally maybe join a regional forum to get some advice. I have 2 shops in the area that will do wheels one I wouldnt trust with a pram wheel and the other is very good but your wheel can disappear for two weeks as he is often snowed under with work.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Commonly known as a 'price you out'. They don't want to do it.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    £42 does sound like a full rebuild with new spokes.

My lbs - £8 true. £30 rebuild.

Maybe you have killed it? Either way why didn't you ask them?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    supersonic wrote:
    Commonly known as a 'price you out'. They don't want to do it.

This. I'll be honest i've done it a few times when someone has come in with an absolute rust pile that really isn't worth fixing!
  • Rutland cycles charged me £8.99 to replace a broken spoke and true my wheel. They did it immediately so I didn't have to drive back another day. LBS wanted £20 upwards depending how difficult it was to do.