Want a light for the winter?

2»

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Torches?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Oddly, I don't go for the one steady, one flash option as I find having two bright steady lights confuses drivers enough for them to take note and give me more room / consideration. (usually manifesting itself when they are overtaking parked cars on their side when I am oncoming)

A flashing lights = pushbike
    Steady lights = motorised something.

If you 'break' the norm then active thought is required and people stop operating on auto-pilot. This is the same front and rear btw

Of course: YMMV

I suppose it depends how far apart your two fixed lights are ... my view is that with a fixed light on, drivers looking in your direction may mistake you for the vehicle behind. If that vehicle behind is indicating left (into the road that the driver looking in your direction is coming out of) then the driver may think it is safe to proceed.
    So that's why I had the light on low constant, high flash last night ....

Anyway - should have an Ultrafire 1200 on its way ... hopefully today ... should be interesting to compare against the Cateye Nanoshot+ ... if it's any good I'll get a second one for the wifes bike ...
  • okgo wrote:
    Torches?

Yes like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TrusTfire-A8-26 ... 0391090286

You can get mounting brackets from Dealextreme for a few quid and you've got a seriously good light for around £20
  • Just got myself an Exposure Diablo mk4, to compliment the Lezyne mini drive and power drive XL lights that I already have.
    The handlebar mount unfortunately doesn't have any side-to-side or vertical adjustment once secured so it's fixed pointing straight ahead. I reckon you could probably get away with using it with the helmet mount - though you'd either have to tilt your head to point it away from traffic or adjust the mount in such scenarios, easily done though.

Not familiar with the diablo but on my exposure light you can adjust the side to side angle by repositioning the mount on the bottom of the light for handlebar mounting. Just loosen the bolt adjust the angle and re-tighten.

Mike
  • okgo
    okgo wrote:
    Torches?

Yes like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TrusTfire-A8-26 ... 0391090286

You can get mounting brackets from Dealextreme for a few quid and you've got a seriously good light for around £20

Ah right. I can't be doing with mucking around on shoddy sites like deal extreme, just want everything from an english source sent quickly. Think the exposure is the way.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Just a thought - dont most people on here commute in towns?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • okgo
    Yes, I'd imagine the vast majority of users of this forum commute into London.
  • rubertoe wrote:

maybe, but mine is from town into the (very dark) countryside :)
  • rubertoe
    Silly bright lights arent really a requirement then or we'd all be using this
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• That's just ridiculous!
  • slowbike
    rubertoe wrote:

maybe, but mine is from town into the (very dark) countryside :)

Mines from a village, through country side, including single track lanes, to a country town ...

It's alright for those town commuters with plenty of other cyclists/traffic to give them a tow ... I hardly ever see another rider - and usually they're going the other way ... :(
  • My commute is so countrified the map has "here be dragons" written across it.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • My usual 12 mile commute has a fairly even spread of:

forest tracks (unlit)
    country roads (unlit)
    residential roads / cycle paths (lit)
    riverside path (unlit)

I don't usually see any dragons either (until I get home that is...)

Chinese touches do give fantastic bang for you buck, I pair mine with magicshine 808 and 818 (front and rear) for commuting.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rubertoe
    Chinese touches do give fantastic bang for you buck,

Oh er...

:lol:

• rubertoe wrote:

Oh er...

Whoops - sorry Mr Rogers. :oops:
  • rubertoe wrote:

Oh er...

Whoops - sorry Mr Rogers. :oops:

Does anyone apart from buck get a good touch? I think this is dashed unfair.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I was watching "The Gadget Man" last night, and he was demonstrating a torch so powerful that you could use it to start fires just by pointing it at the ground.

Surely that's the ultimate! What I want is a light so bright that it actually makes the eyes of oncoming motorists explode!

http://www.wickedlasers.com/torch
  • slowbike
    What I want is a light so bright that it actually makes the eyes of oncoming motorists explode!
    Not quite had that - but did make a driver stop - single track road - left hand bend up a rise so my light swept across the car - lady driver stopped and put her hands out to shield her eyes ... ! Oh well ...

I don't normally do that sort of thing, this time it was practically unavoidable really...
  • I'm indifferent to the undiscerning or illegal use of these super bright lights, but then my French teacher always said I had a laser fair attitude.....

IGMC
  • My approach is a very bright after market LED DRL unit for a car, powered from a small 12v SLA battery (until I find something more suitable), controlled with a lights/horn/indicator switch from a moped.

I reckon it's cost me all of £30 in total.

I think it's possible to spend stupid money on fancy bike lights, i've just used spare parts I had lying around from old projects.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I was watching "The Gadget Man" last night, and he was demonstrating a torch so powerful that you could use it to start fires just by pointing it at the ground.

Surely that's the ultimate! What I want is a light so bright that it actually makes the eyes of oncoming motorists explode!

Battery life 5-10 minutes.

Useful.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rubertoe
    supersonic wrote:

That my friend, is madness.

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I've seen torches with NINE XML leds in them! 9000 lumens!
  • rubertoe
    supersonic wrote:
    I've seen torches with NINE XML leds in them! 9000 lumens!

WTF are they trying to illuminate? The Northern lights?

• Asprilla wrote:
    I was watching "The Gadget Man" last night, and he was demonstrating a torch so powerful that you could use it to start fires just by pointing it at the ground.

Battery life 5-10 minutes.

Useful.

Yeah, but, that's 5-10 minutes of toasting marshmallows!
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    all this reminds me I've a wf-502b to fettle.. with u2 led if i remembered rightly :? looks like a T6..
    really flakey on the road constantly changing modes & flickering, batteries slightly looser in chasis

my wf-501b with xml-t6 runs like a trooper, kinda just keep them both pointed at the ground in front. Hoping that the randomness of the 502b keeps drivers guessing, having to look and decide whether they want to rave or not, noticed I get more room from drivers though :lol: