Shimano Pick and Mix

2»

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    cooldad wrote:
    The world needs more crash test dummies.

haha, I'll report back when I've tried it
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ej2320 wrote:
    Can't go wrong with any of that. Personally I'd go (have gone twice) for an XT cassette (can be got for the same price as SLX if you look around and weighs a fair bit less) and would go for an XT rear mech

I'm guessing those extra XT pieces are mainly weight saving?

Yes.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:
    Can't go wrong with any of that. Personally I'd go (have gone twice) for an XT cassette (can be got for the same price as SLX if you look around and weighs a fair bit less) and would go for an XT rear mech

I'm guessing those extra XT pieces are mainly weight saving?

Yes.

I'm thinking about getting the SLX cassette to save £12 odd pounds and spend the change on a thomson stem
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pointless spending silly money on a stem when just as good and light is a fraction of the price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    All I know is a few years ago I upgraded from a Deore cassette to an XT and the weight difference was ridiculous...since then it's been XT cassettes on 2 other bikes. I guess the difference between a new SLX and XT isn't as extreme but like I say, I'm sold on the XT

A mate bought a new SLX rear mech a few of weeks back and it certainly looks solid and worked well (he's since smashed it to pieces but that's just down to bad luck rather than any fault with the mech) - again if I wasn't trying to get my latest build the right side of the 13.5kg mark I'd probably go SLX on the back but I'm going for one of these XT M786 new-fangled-clutch-shenanegans (even though I'm pretty sure the Alps isn't the place for these mechs I'm gonna give one a try)

shifters - XT all day for me. The SLX just feel cheaper - build quality and shifting performance (and hey..they are cheaper so no complaints there.)

Brakes - SLX for me. Although I've gone Magura's on the new build, again to save some weight (but kinda wishing I'd just stuck with Shimano's tbh)

Cranks - SLX, good choice. Have abused mine on my hardtail for 3 seasons now in the Alps and they are rock solid...although gone for Saints on the new build :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    cooldad wrote:
    Pointless spending silly money on a stem when just as good and light is a fraction of the price.

+1

Nowt wrong with Superstar stems. £20 odd, light, strong, loads of colours...what's not to like?

Trek Session 8
  • ej2320
    Ok I take the point about the stem and I'll check out other options

I agree with everything you say but I can get the SLX with the clutch and an SLX cassette for the £30 - £40 cheaper

But XT shifters
    SLX crankset
    SLX brakes
  • ej2320
    I know this says 3 x 10 but would it work with 2 x 10?
    http://www.probikeshop.com/shimano-slx- ... 84534.html
  • cooldad
    Yes providing everything else is right, mounting, swing and pull.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ej2320
    it's definitley direct mount, I have never really understood the swing and pull but there only seems to be one type with the direct mount
  • ej2320 wrote:
    I know this says 3 x 10 but would it work with 2 x 10?
    http://www.probikeshop.com/shimano-slx- ... 84534.html

If you're getting a 2x10 set-up then why not get the correct mech?

http://www.probikeshop.com/shimano-xt-2x10-speed-front-derailleur-direct-mount-fd-m786-d/71738.html

...XT, stronger, lighter, double specific and it's only another £6

Trek Session 8
  • ej2320
    good point, I've found them cheaper on bike discount since but was wondering if you can use a 3 x 10 or if the limit screw wouldn't let it but it seems it's possible. Thanks anyway Felix, you've been helpful on this topic.
  • cooldad
    Triple works fine using the limit screw. But if you're buying nrew might as well get the right stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:
    Triple works fine using the limit screw. But if you're buying nrew might as well get the right stuff.

Yea It would make sense to spend a few pounds more to get the right kit, I just wondered in case I got a good deal on a 3 x 10