Pompetamine Wheels Advice

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
I have decided,whether rightly or wrongly, to build myself a single speed winter bike.

And to further the right or wrong, I am thinking of building up an On-One Pompetamine: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPO135/o ... mine_frame

However, I am not sure what wheels I need for this. It looks as though the wheels I would need to get are 29ers? Any help please!? Thanks
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Yes, 29ers for disc... or you can go all the way, get a pair of MTB hubs and build yourself the wheels too... :wink:

If you want some 135 mm disc specific single speed wheels you need to look at Planet X/On one site... I recall they did have some hubs for that
    left the forum March 2023
  • Mine came with Mavic Open 700c's.

Has seen me through a few winters now with no bother.
  • brettjmcc
    Yes, 29ers for disc... or you can go all the way, get a pair of MTB hubs and build yourself the wheels too... :wink:

If you want some 135 mm disc specific single speed wheels you need to look at Planet X/On one site... I recall they did have some hubs for that

I'd love to be able to do that ugo! Can't see anything on the PX or On-One sites. Could you recommend anywhere else to look oh wheel building guru? 8)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • ugo.santalucia
    This is the hub I would use

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... tAodL2wAXw

As for fully built wheels, you are right, there isn't much... only expensive ones. It depends what your budget is. I'd say if you have just over 200 pounds to spend, you can probably look at having them built for you.
  • brettjmcc
    Ugo, worst case, I am not too bothered about it being fixed. Could I get a spacer on standard factory 29 wheels to convert to a single speed?

Also, apologies for the ignorance, but I assume I can use something like a 700x28c on a 29er? Thanks
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • ugo.santalucia
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Ugo, worst case, I am not too bothered about it being fixed. Could I get a spacer on standard factory 29 wheels to convert to a single speed?

Also, apologies for the ignorance, but I assume I can use something like a 700x28c on a 29er? Thanks

You can convert it that way. 28 should be OK, narrower tyres might prove hard to fit and might not sit on well. For commuting can I advise you Vittoria Randonneur PRO 32 mm? Half price at Planet X... I have had them on for 7 months now... using them every day on dirt and glass... never a puncture, not a cut... they have a 120 dpi thread, so they really ride well and they are fast... best tyre I have ever had

BTW: Fixed and disc... is it a good idea? If it's fixed you don't need a rear brake... if you want the disc, then get it single speed