Lynskey Sportive Disc

wastegate86
wastegate86 Posts: 158
edited June 2018 in Your road bikes
Been ridding my 2011 genesis equilibrium for the past year but due to the terrible roads I commute on I decided to upgrade. Decided to stick to metal as carbon makes me uneasy over crap roads plus I wanted discs!
Spoke to a company called South West Bike Builders and they persuaded me to go for the Lynskey.
The guys and girls there gave me a fantastic service and a great price on a frameset which included the frame, Lynskey cx fork and Chris King headset.
Massive thumbs up to these guys for their help, can highly recommend them :D

28023555148_2a1232f81f_z.jpg

40086095500_4bb3a3f1ef_z.jpg

40086097550_66babc339d_z.jpg

28023555808_52bbe1d624_z.jpg

41176126204_97a4b2e7b3_z.jpg

Comments

• wastegate86
    edited May 2018
    I then proceeded to build the bike up

41850437072_db0109b3cc_z.jpg

Frame: Lynskey Sportive Disc
    Forks: Lynskey CX
    Bars: Ritchey WCS
    Stem: Deda Zero
    Headset: Chris King
    Bar Tape: Fizik Soft Touch

Shifters: Ultegra 6700
    Cables: Jagwire
    Front Mech: Ultegra 6700
    Rear Mech: Ultegra 6700
    Brakes: Avid BB7

Seat: Charge Knife
    Seat Post: Ritchey WCS
    Seat Post Clamp: Lynskey

Crank: Ultegra 6700
    Chain: KMC
    Cassette: Ultegra 6700
    Pedals: Speedplay Zero Stainless
    Bottom Bracket: Ultegra 6700

Wheels:
    Handbuilt by Ugo
    Rim: Velocity A23
    Spokes: double butted Alpina spokes
    Hubs: Novatec 711/712
    Tube: Vittoria
    Tire: Vittoria Rubino Pro

40086100010_5b21ddf259_z.jpg

41850442362_4f133a0d8a_z.jpg

Accessories:
    Mio 305
    Blackburn Chicane Stainless Bottle cages

Weight: 10kg

40086098680_00101fd04e_z.jpg

40086099460_269c219d0a_z.jpg

41176123414_04660d6e83_z.jpg

41850446432_6ac27b988a_z.jpg

41850445892_70edc02cf4_z.jpg

41176125884_55b812579d_z.jpg
  • wastegate86
    edited May 2018
    28023551718_d145091042_z.jpg

28023557718_7549ddf7c4_z.jpg

41850445522_f1b9c338f0_z.jpg

27025073227_ce1777e502_z.jpg

41176123404_41425f3550_z.jpg

40086094670_9cdd457130_z.jpg

28023551548_21cde5b081_z.jpg

Also invested in a Bike shed for the Garden plus tools

28023553728_7a669d1cd2_z.jpg
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Surprised it is so heavy, where did the extra two kilos come from! Seriously I thought it'd be about 8 kilos. Seems a good build apart form the tyres (I find them very slippy in the wet), if I were to go disc I'd go for something similar.

A warning - that shed offers no security whatsoever so I hope you've put in a ground anchor and alarm. I was looking at that shed model and you could pull the hinges off stupidly easily. I'm impressed with the OCD tidiness!
  • Very nice, I need one of those shed door organisers...
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Im going through another one of my , I want One bike and I want it to last a life time phases.

I keep coming back to the Lynskey Sportive with this kind of build, but personally I still struggle with the aesthetics of disc brakes on road bikes.

I saw a Lynskey built up in Fat Birds last month and I Still cant get over the size (160mm/ maybe they should have used a 140mm) of the rotor on a road wheelset.

However as I want this to be a bike for life (Hence titanium) I also want it to be future proof and I think the onset of Electronic groupsets and disc brakes is inevitable.

I wouldn't want to invest in a titanium frame at this point for it to become "outdated" with new groupset compatibility and improvements.

I must say however yours really does look well considered and put together.

I think the one I saw in fat birds had ambriosio rims the same hubs, I think the deeper section of your rims improves the appearance.

Did UGO recommend the wheelset based on the flange spacing with the Novatecs and Velocities or can he do the same sort of build with hopes and H Sons?

Any way Very nice bike enjoy.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Decided to stick to metal as carbon makes me uneasy over crap roads

Nice bike

but I don't understand comments like this, if you are using a carbon fork - I would have thought that a broken fork is going to put you in worse position than a broken frame!
  • tim_wand
    Having looked at you Piccies again I can see that the rear Caliper bridge is still drilled and in place.

No reason then why I couldn't run with a different fork and my current road set up , until I am happy to change over.

Will be looking extensively at road disc systems at NEC this month as I am sure they are more refined than in the past.

I m 90kg and having toured for many years kitted up on my Kaffenbach with Canti's then I am seriously interested in upgrading braking performance.

The more I see of your build the more I m tempted.

I would Imagine the disc sportive frames have uprated butting around the headset/downtube and none driveside chainstay to cope with braking forces.
  • Surprised it is so heavy, where did the extra two kilos come from! Seriously I thought it'd be about 8 kilos. Seems a good build apart form the tyres (I find them very slippy in the wet), if I were to go disc I'd go for something similar.

A warning - that shed offers no security whatsoever so I hope you've put in a ground anchor and alarm. I was looking at that shed model and you could pull the hinges off stupidly easily. I'm impressed with the OCD tidiness!

Why would you say 8kg?
    Weight doesn't bother me much at the moment as its mostly for commuting
    Bear in mind the CX fork is built for strength and is heavy, its not all carbon either.
    Also the wheels and groupset are'nt the lightest
    In the future I'll buy a set of light summer wheels plus may upgrade to a SRAM hyd setup, that should save about a kilo
  • Crozza wrote:
    Decided to stick to metal as carbon makes me uneasy over crap roads

Nice bike

but I don't understand comments like this, if you are using a carbon fork - I would have thought that a broken fork is going to put you in worse position than a broken frame!

Its just the way I think they feel, personally find metal frames feel more planted on rough terrain
    And in my defence on the fork its built for strength and only a small centre section is carbon, top and bottom is metal. Will keep you up dated if that goes to pot and it breaks though lol

I built the bike and chose 160mm rotors, I guess 140's would fit
    And yes Ugo can build a set with hope pro2's and H Son rims
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Re: The weight. A typical titanium road bike with ultegra level kit would come in under 8 kilos (I have an Enigma Esprit) I know discs add weight but was surprised at the 25% increase. I suppose it is in the hub, rotor, fork and calipers. Maybe the frame is heavier than the non disc version too for extra bracing? Your wheels are pretty sturdy too I suppose.

The weight seemed a lot to me after reading down the build (which has a number of nice parts)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    tim wand wrote:
    Did UGO recommend the wheelset based on the flange spacing with the Novatecs and Velocities or can he do the same sort of build with hopes and H Sons?

Hi, I did recommend the Novatec as they are the best road/disc hubset for the money. Hope are a valid alternative, but twice the price.
    I can't recall why we went for A 23 and not Archetype... they are lighter and the availability of Archetype is always patchy... there was a period in spring when there was none available in the country. The A 23 non machined are also a lot cheaper and can be ran tubeless very easily.

BTW: I want a Lynskey disc... :twisted:
    left the forum March 2023
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Like the bike, like the batcave, like the idea of discs on road bikes :D
  • Surprised it is so heavy, where did the extra two kilos come from! Seriously I thought it'd be about 8 kilos. Seems a good build apart form the tyres (I find them very slippy in the wet), if I were to go disc I'd go for something similar.

Why would you say 8kg?
    I am pretty suse it's less than 10 Kg... my Croix de Fer modified is 10.7 Kg, but I have a Brooks saddle which is over a pound, I have touring tyres which are 420 grams each and the frame + fork is 3.3 Kg... wheels weigh the same as yours... yours should be well over 1 Kg lighter than mine... 9 Kg seems more likely... check again... :wink:
  • To be fair he weighed it at our work where the scales are not that accurate.
    It is a lovely looking bike and a massive upgrade from the Equilibrium! Oh and wheres the pic of the new speedplays Tom?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    some good shots...
  • Mark__gti wrote:
    To be fair he weighed it at our work where the scales are not that accurate.
    It is a lovely looking bike and a massive upgrade from the Equilibrium! Oh and wheres the pic of the new speedplays Tom?

ha they're only pedals you big queen
    just bought some stainless zeros in grey
    speedplay_zero_pedal_stainless_grey.jpg?width=458&height=358

were a bit of a faf to set up but they feel great now....already busted out a KOM on them in the first few days of use :lol:

And yes iv only weighed the bike on some crappy analog work scales so far and that was with a large full saddle bag and some other bits fitted.
    without any accessories and some decent 23c's rather than my rubino 28c's its probably very close to 9kg

Think people are getting a little too hung up on weight so far
    To me the bike feels and looks great and the extra disc braking just finishes it off great

Parts that will be upgraded in the coming months will be:
    Thompson seatpost
    TRP Hydr brakes

Then next year maybe:
    summer carbon wheels
    carbon stem and bars
  • Mark__gti wrote:
    To be fair he weighed it at our work where the scales are not that accurate.

ha they're only pedals you big queen
    just bought some stainless zeros in grey
    speedplay_zero_pedal_stainless_grey.jpg?width=458&height=358

were a bit of a faf to set up but they feel great now....already busted out a KOM on them in the first few days of use :lol:

And yes iv only weighed the bike on some crappy analog work scales so far and that was with a large full saddle bag and some other bits fitted.
    without any accessories and some decent 23c's rather than my rubino 28c's its probably very close to 9kg

Think people are getting a little too hung up on weight so far
    To me the bike feels and looks great and the extra disc braking just finishes it off great

Parts that will be upgraded in the coming months will be:
    Thompson seatpost
    TRP Hydr brakes

Then next year maybe:
    summer carbon wheels
    carbon stem and bars

I have tried the Hope cable to hydraulic conversion and didn't like it, so I am in no rush to replace my cable discs.
    As for the wheels, I am fitting new rims on my bike, I had Open PRO CD on, but as I do more and more off road, I wanted something a bit wider and lighter at the same time, so I ordered a couple of Stans Crest, which weigh in line with 29er carbon rims (just under 400 grams). With disc brakes you really want to have 28 spokes and there is near nothing in the carbon market. On-One were supposed to import some carbon 29er rims but I have not seen them. Enve are very nice, but can you get a decent drilling for disc brakes? 24 is pushing it a bit
  • Watching this with interest. My sort of bike. Very nice indeed.

I have a focus Mares AX4 which has had a kinesis carbon fork and kinesis disc light wheels thrown at it ,but not sure the frame is worth any more upgrades adding.

I have the hdr brakes on order as I find the mud just kills the pads on the lyra brake. I can't make on the fly adjustment with the mech discs.

I had the vittoria tyres as well, but after a small downpour on a long downhill I was physically shaking for 10 minutes afterwards with fear!

Whats the mud clearance like or is this road only? Those that have the Croix how do you find the mud clearance in the front fork as there appears to be none!
  • ill be honest Ugo i dont know jack about wheels at the moment. Will read up on it more before i decide on a summer carbon set.
    With the market being flooded with disc frames next year im hoping for more choice on disc wheels but we'll see!

And yeah iv read the reviews on the parabox stem systems but the trp's new hydaulic calipers look like a massive step up

The clearance on the lynskey is massive
    need to fit my sks gaurds and then ill post photo up
  • ill be honest Ugo i dont know jack about wheels at the moment. Will read up on it more before i decide on a summer carbon set.
    With the market being flooded with disc frames next year im hoping for more choice on disc wheels but we'll see!

And yeah iv read the reviews on the parabox stem systems but the trp's new hydaulic calipers look like a massive step up

The clearance on the lynskey is massive
    need to fit my sks gaurds and then ill post photo up

Please don't fit the mudguards... or if you dfo, then please don't post the photos... :lol:

Carbon rims... see, the problem is a disc wheel cannot be built with a radial pattern, or it will shatter under braking... at the same time a 20 hole rim cannot be built crossed, at least a deep one can't... 24 is the very smallest number of holes you can lace with a 2 cross pattern and for disc brakes 3 cross is much better than 2 cross. That leaves 32 as ideal and 28 as possible alternative. Are there many carbon rims drilled to take 28-32 spokes?
    I am only aware of BLB Notorious and Broby Carbon available in this country and only the former being regularly available... Then I am sure the big players will come up with packaged products, but they will be horrendously expensive, no doubt...
  • tim_wand
    This is the dilemma I am having. (at least in my mind at the moment).

I know my next frame is going to be titanium, its going to have to cover a multitude of disciplines and last a lifetime.

The Lynskey sportive seems the ideal choice for the riding I will be doing and my expectations of longevity.

However because of the length of time I want to own this frame I also want some future proofing

i.e the ability to fit a disc wheelset and even an electric gruppo further down the line.

Having been an early adopter of technologies in the past I ve learnt that its usually better to hold back and wait until these thing are on their second or third incarnation in the mainstream, and I feel this is particularly true of disc set ups on road bikes. I intend to have a good look at all options at the NEC this month.

Im 90 kg and do a fair bit of all up touring, so as UGO has pointed out I would defo want a minimum of 32 spokes and optimally 36 in the rear, I m not bothered about carbon rims so therefore have a fair rim choice (?)
    my question is about hub spacing?

I was thinking of getting the Lynskey disc frame and just running it with standard fork and long drop calipers as the drilling is there on the seatstay bridge for a road caliper. (then switching to disc at a later date)

However I believe this would create a problem with chain alignment as the hub spacing on the disc frame is a 135mm as apposed to 130mm of most road hubs.

Maybe UGO you could advice me if there is a 135mm hub (or spacer) which can be built into a decent 36 spoke rear or would I still need to run a dedicated disc hub without the rotor?

Or to put it an easier way is there a 135mm ,36 hole, non disc hub on the market (im sure there must be)
  • tim wand wrote:
    This is the dilemma I am having. (at least in my mind at the moment).

I know my next frame is going to be titanium, its going to have to cover a multitude of disciplines and last a lifetime.

The Lynskey sportive seems the ideal choice for the riding I will be doing and my expectations of longevity.

However because of the length of time I want to own this frame I also want some future proofing

i.e the ability to fit a disc wheelset and even an electric gruppo further down the line.

Having been an early adopter of technologies in the past I ve learnt that its usually better to hold back and wait until these thing are on their second or third incarnation in the mainstream, and I feel this is particularly true of disc set ups on road bikes. I intend to have a good look at all options at the NEC this month.

Im 90 kg and do a fair bit of all up touring, so as UGO has pointed out I would defo want a minimum of 32 spokes and optimally 36 in the rear, I m not bothered about carbon rims so therefore have a fair rim choice (?)
    my question is about hub spacing?

I was thinking of getting the Lynskey disc frame and just running it with standard fork and long drop calipers as the drilling is there on the seatstay bridge for a road caliper. (then switching to disc at a later date)

However I believe this would create a problem with chain alignment as the hub spacing on the disc frame is a 135mm as apposed to 130mm of most road hubs.

Maybe UGO you could advice me if there is a 135mm hub (or spacer) which can be built into a decent 36 spoke rear or would I still need to run a dedicated disc hub without the rotor?

Or to put it an easier way is there a 135mm ,36 hole, non disc hub on the market (im sure there must be)

I think you are getting lost, when the problem doesn't really exist... firstly, you can use 135 mm hubs for discs even if you don't want to use discs... you simply don't attach a disc to them. Secondly, I don't really understand why you don't want to go for discs, when they are clearly superior in any possible way to cantilevers. The investment in two calipers (that typically coms with the discs) is around 100 pounds, so not a lot. I have been on discs for 4 years now (one of the pioneers on drops) and I still have to find a drawback. It's a no brainer, really, the technology was mature 4 years ago and now you have a lot more choice than I had back then, when they were NOT UCI legal.

• I have been on discs for 4 years now (one of the pioneers on drops) and I still have to find a drawback.

And so modest about it :lol:

Ugo's right why wouldn't you want discs on a disc frame???
    For me the BB7 setup has been great so far but im confident the new TRP Hydr calipers will be even better
    Then ill be happy to run those brakes with Ultegra for the considerable future
    Will give me a chance to see how the full Hyd systems develope
  • tim_wand
    I m not yet wholly convinced by discs in terms of aesthetics and integration on road frames, but I am convinced of the benefits it terms of performance and I am sure this will ultimately be the consideration that wins out.

I am not overly familiar with all options on the market, but what I have seen (On line from Eurobike) and what I hope to see in person at the NEC will probably result in the purchase and running of a disc frame.

I ve ran hydro discs on MTB s for over a decade, and Cantis on my touring bikes for over two decades, I know which I d rather be braking on fully loaded up in the wet.

I don't however want to run a disc hub without the rotor on a rim with a braking surface so it looks like if I am going to commit than it will be the whole hog.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    How are you getting on with the bike wastegate?

I read the thread with interest, - earlier in the year I decided I wanted to put a winter bike together with the emphasis on comfort and decent braking and handling in the wet, but I didn't want to lose out too much on speed. It looks like I came up with a very similar spec as you:

I've gone for the same frame (but have removed the decals)
    6700 Grey Ultegra, compact with a 12-25
    Jagwire cables
    BB7 brakes, - the slightly different Road SL version. 160 rotor on the front, 140 rear.
    Lynskey TI 2013 seatpost
    Selle Italia Carbonio Team Flow saddle
    Archetype H+Son wheels (black)/Novatec hubs/CXray spokes
    Conti 4 seasons, 25s.
    3T Ergonova Carbon Bars/3T ARX stem
    Ultegra carbon pedals
    Black Lizardskin tape

I've slowly been buying one item at a time, and the final piece arrived last week. Everything is still in bags and boxes, and as soon as I get free Saturday or Sunday I'll crack open an early cold one, and put it all together.
  • Christ i thought i had a decent spec lol

The bike has been fantastic so far very comfortable and responsive plus looks amazing in person

Did the exact same as you pieced the bike together over a few months.
    Where did you get the frame from by the way?
    Personally had one reserved back in March but took forever to get stock in the UK :evil:

just a heads up with the jagwire cableset
    if you've got the same set i had then the brake cables arnt long enough to do both front and back...... :roll:
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Good to hear you're impressed with your build, - I hope mine goes together as well.
    Yeah, - I thought the stock cables might be turn up short seeing as they've further to go. I've got the Shimano cables that came with the groupset so should be able to use those as well, - I doubt whether there's any performance difference, - just a little bit twitchy about getting the brakes to work as well as possible, and Jagwire seems to be everyones fave.

I got the frame from Fatbirds, - but like you had to wait a few weeks, they kept putting back the delivery date from the US. Same with the seatpost, - I'm guessing that Lynskey don't really send too much to the UK.

I'll post up the finished weight, it'll be interesting to compare it with my carbon framed bike. With a slightly heavier frame, bigger tyres and heavier wheels it's not going to be lighter, - but winter bikes aren't meant to be!
  • Very nice indeed. A bike for life :¬)
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • blinddrew wrote:
    Very nice indeed. A bike for life :¬)

Thats the hope 8)
    Harry-S wrote:
    Yeah, - I thought the stock cables might be turn up short seeing as they've further to go. I've got the Shimano cables that came with the groupset so should be able to use those as well, - I doubt whether there's any performance difference, - just a little bit twitchy about getting the brakes to work as well as possible, and Jagwire seems to be everyones fave.

I'll post up the finished weight, it'll be interesting to compare it with my carbon framed bike. With a slightly heavier frame, bigger tyres and heavier wheels it's not going to be lighter, - but winter bikes aren't meant to be!

Ended up using stainless clarks cables on the front brake.....was actually more impressed with that than the jagwires :|
    As said earlier without any accessories mines a tad over 9kg
    Id say 8kg is obtainable but you're looking at alot more expensive wheels and groupset
    Possibly a bit of a waste for a winter bike