Has Anyone Ever Changed Their Name?

sloppyschleckonds
sloppyschleckonds Posts: 8,019
edited September 2013 in The bottom bracket
Say for instance you had a bad reputation in Business, would you change you name?
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    After apparent 'misdemeanors' on here recently I've thought of it :wink:

I knew someone who changed his surname before he got married as his fiancee did not want to become Mrs Hogg, she said that as he went to all the effort of changing the surname he could choose a new middle name too so he decided on Texas, he's now divorced!!
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    If I was going to change it, I would choose Deedpole as a surname, or first name.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    A lady I know changed made her husband change his name rather than vice versa, her first name is Jolly and his surname was Rodgers, so he became Mark Kurian rather than her taking the surname.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    simonhead wrote:
    A lady I know changed made her husband change his name rather than vice versa, her first name is Jolly and his surname was Rodgers, so he became Mark Kurian rather than her taking the surname.

Hah! I hope that's true. :D
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • simonhead
    NapoleonD wrote:
    simonhead wrote:

Thats one of the great things about my job, I speak to loads of people each day (mostly in oil and gas) so see a huge range of names and some brilliant things on CV's. We used to keep a file titled Hmmm that had anything that was really funny in it from comments made in the office to stuff on CV's like strange sounding companies and job titles, weird hobbies, odd names and photos on CV;s that the person really shouldnt have put on there. I will try and dig it out and share some of the best bits. One I do remeber is a guy (American) who could eat 14 McDonalds Cheeseburgers in 5 minutes.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    I had to change mine to Clark Kent
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    seanoconn wrote:
    I had to change mine to Clark Kent

-

I wasn't going to give you a positive, but Mikey insisted because you went to the bother of changing the vowel from u to e in respect of his sensibilities.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I am full of gratitude that my sensibilities (and that of my wife) remain unassailed by spelling errors...

It's turning out to be such a good day
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    There was this guy where I worked...

Who went on a big night out, got really steaming drunk and when he got back in at 4 am he went on the internet. He randomly stumbled across the website to change your name. At the time he thought it would be a good idea to change his name to "The right honourable reverend Boutros Boutros-Ghali".
    He went through with it and at work we had to change all the paper work with his name on, all the computer docs and name tags. When he was tasked we now had to shout "reverend, you've a job on"!
    But a few weeks later he soon started to change his mind when he phoned his mum up to tell her what he'd done, there was a silence followed by her busting out crying. He also did not realise how much effort was needed in changing all your bank details, DVLA, passport, bills, etc. So he soon changed his name back again.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Say for instance you had a bad reputation in Business, would you change you name?

So for example, if your name was Tom Wenham?
  • arran77
    ben@31 wrote:
    There was this guy where I worked...

Who went on a big night out, got really steaming drunk and when he got back in at 4 am he went on the internet. He randomly stumbled across the website to change your name. At the time he thought it would be a good idea to change his name to "The right honourable reverend Boutros Boutros-Ghali".
    He went through with it and at work we had to change all the paper work with his name on, all the computer docs and name tags. When he was tasked we now had to shout "reverend, you've a job on"!
    But a few weeks later he soon started to change his mind when he phoned his mum up to tell her what he'd done, there was a silence followed by her busting out crying. He also did not realise how much effort was needed in changing all your bank details, DVLA, passport, bills, etc. So he soon changed his name back again.

:lol:

Proof if ever there was that alcohol and the internet are not a good combination.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My cycling buddy was always called by his nickname rather than his real name at his old job. When he joined this company he asked if his email address could be nickname.surname@company.co.uk but his boss said no as it had to be his real name.

So he walked over to his desk, went online, paid the £10 and got his real name changed to his nickname. His boss called him a tw*t but he got his email address.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • simonhead
    Dug out the file i had, under the "your bleeding parents" section we have (note these are people that in all likelyhood were given these names at birth rather than changing them in later life

Victor Ray
    Eimar Dalek
    Enus Pupenis (pronounced poo penis)
    Hans in T' Veld - hes got the whole world in his hands
    Dirk Bauer - coolest dude on the planet
    Rick W@nk

My personal favourite

Richard Stroker his job Erection Supervisor
  • arran77
    simonhead wrote:
    Dug out the file i had, under the "your bleeding parents" section we have (note these are people that in all likelyhood were given these names at birth rather than changing them in later life

Victor Ray
    Eimar Dalek
    Enus Pupenis (pronounced poo penis)
    Hans in T' Veld - hes got the whole world in his hands
    Dirk Bauer - coolest dude on the planet
    Rick W@nk

My personal favourite

Richard Stroker his job Erection Supervisor

Dick Stroker hey :lol:

seanoconn
  • mrfpb wrote:

Thats a good example, start a new company and add a middle name or even use your wifes maiden name.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    mrfpb wrote:

Thats a good example, start a new company and add a middle name or even use your wifes maiden name.
    Used to know a Tom Wenham, works in the sporting arena.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I changed mine.

I wasn't always Captain Slog.

The older I get, the better I was.

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    poppit wrote:
    SloppySchleckonds wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    SloppySchleckonds wrote:

Was he the hate figure currently starring in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12937910&start=20
  • arran77
    mrfpb wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    SloppySchleckonds wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    SloppySchleckonds wrote:

Was he the hate figure currently starring in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12937910&start=20

Good work Miss Marple :lol:

seanoconn
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    mrfpb wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    SloppySchleckonds wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    SloppySchleckonds wrote:

Got a feeling it could be.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    simonhead wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    simonhead wrote:

Thats one of the great things about my job, I speak to loads of people each day (mostly in oil and gas) so see a huge range of names and some brilliant things on CV's. We used to keep a file titled Hmmm that had anything that was really funny in it from comments made in the office to stuff on CV's like strange sounding companies and job titles, weird hobbies, odd names and photos on CV;s that the person really shouldnt have put on there. I will try and dig it out and share some of the best bits. One I do remeber is a guy (American) who could eat 14 McDonalds Cheeseburgers in 5 minutes.

Oil & gas headhunter?
  • simonhead
    simonhead wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    simonhead wrote:

Oil & gas headhunter?

Headhunter is the most overused phrase in recruitment. There are people that are headhunters and it is cloak and dagger to some extent but most people use it as an ego rub for the candidates. Probably 70% of people recruited through an agent respond to an advert, post their CV on a job board or get a recomendation from a friend or colleague. A lot of the work i do is contract which requires a different approach to staff.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    So no then.
  • simonhead
    So no then.

Sorry, didnt meen to sound flippant, I have occasional headhunt assignments but in the most part no. Not sure where you are based but the phrase has different meanings in different places as well, in the US almost anyone in recruitment calls themselves a headhunter, its getting that way in the UK and I think its important for candidates when working with a recruiter to understand the difference between a headhunt and a standard assignment.
  • I have a friend in the NHS, who works in the records section for Dentists in an area of kent, and she said the best name they have on file is a toss up between...Philip McCracken and a Dwayne Pipe.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I changed mine following success with the song in the early 90's.
    and when I painted my box black.