Bloody dangerous this road riding lark.

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited August 2013 in Road general
So, had a week off as I twinged a muscle in my back last week so thought I'd rest it up. Tonight it felt loads better and I couldn't refrain any longer so off I go for my 17mile hilly ride through Rusper.

I set off aggressively and equalled a KOM I have on a local road just 2 miles from my house. I get to the end of the road and am waiting at the junction to turn right, left foot clipped in as always. A car pulls up behind me and I feel that slight anxiety of the pressure from the car, thinking am I going to get clipped in first time and pull away looking like a pro. With my mind distracted I slightly lose my balance and am about to have a clipless moment but I managed to rescue the situation, just, and in doing so my right calf caught the chainring which literally gauged my leg open. However, I didn't really feel much pain so I cycled off about 150 yards and then noticed the blood gushing down my leg!
I pulled up on the side of the road and looked down to see an inch long chunk of flesh and skin flapping about! It was gross. I pulled in to a random house and a very kind lady helped me to dress the wound, and undeterred I set off again determined to beat my time up Rusper Hill.

With that and the Tower Hill climbs in the bag I'm flying back along the Pease Pottage road when my left calf cramps and yelping in pain I fall onto the top tube and crush my left bollock! I'm now on the side of the road rubbing my nuts trying to stretch my calf muscle! Thankfully only 2 cars went past!

All in all, a right bloody disaster, but I'm laughing about it now.

Comments

• I am sort of laughing and crying at the same time but to be honest if it happened to me it would be just the crying...
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Lol, please video your next outing and post it on here thanks.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Sorry but I laughed quite loud at this!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Road cycling isn't dangerous, it's hazardous.

Practically all accidents, injuries, crashes etc. are preventable by choices made by the rider.

Here's the more constructive part of my post: you can easily clip one foot in and cycle one footed until you're moving and out of danger, before clipping in. Or even pedal with one foot clipped in and the other gently pedalling with the arch of your foot on the pedal until you're out of danger (but be careful it doesn't slip off)
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Unclip your left foot so you aren't going to risk hitting the chain ring.
  • ct8282
    edited August 2013
    Stevie_gee wrote:
    Road cycling isn't dangerous, it's hazardous.

Practically all accidents, injuries, crashes etc. are preventable by choices made by the rider.

Here's the more constructive part of my post: you can easily clip one foot in and cycle one footed until you're moving and out of danger, before clipping in. Or even pedal with one foot clipped in and the other gently pedalling with the arch of your foot on the pedal until you're out of danger (but be careful it doesn't slip off)

My post title was tongue in cheek and the details were to give you all a chuckle at my expense.

I really struggle pedalling with one foot unclipped, damn slippery pedals.

Anyway, I'll survive. The bleeding hasn't stopped so a new dressing is needed this morning. Other calf feels fine today but my nuts are really sore. Ouch.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Just be grateful it wasn't the other way round, i.e. you hit your calf on the top tube and your nuts on the chainring
  • ct8282
    dsoutar wrote:
    Just be grateful it wasn't the other way round, i.e. you hit your calf on the top tube and your nuts on the chainring

Ha ha ha ha ha ha
  • ct8282 wrote:
    My post title was tongue in cheek and the details were to give you all a chuckle at my expense.

"Most" of us got that!

I for one hope you feel better soon.

NP
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    Can't quite remember what the term is but Peter sellers was famous for it. Escalating comedy or something like that ie in trying to rectify one action it just keeps getting worse.

Anyway, well done, you certainly made me laugh.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevie_gee wrote:
    Road cycling isn't dangerous, it's hazardous.

haz·ard·ous (hzr-ds)
    adj.
    1. Marked by danger; perilous.
    2. Depending on chance; risky

Yep - it's hazardous. Not dangerous! :lol:

And there is a limit to how preventable, for example, being taken out by an oncoming right turner can be unless you virtually stop at every cross junction. You might change your view when it happens to you......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sounds like the storyline for the next episode of casualty!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Always keep the right foot clipped in. That way you lean to your left - away from traffic and you won't gash yourself either.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    ct8282 wrote:
    [
    Anyway, I'll survive. The bleeding hasn't stopped so a new dressing is needed this morning.

Get yourself to A&E or a minor injuries unit for a stich or two I suggest.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I think there have been lengthy "which foot" threads and the consensus seems to be"whichever one is most comfortable" and that it's very difficult to change once you're used to one particular foot being clipped in.

As for the OP, thanks for sharing. It has brightened my morning.
  • Out last week on a hilly ride in the Peak District.....climbed a tough section stood up at the end...as i crested the hill i sat back down...STRAIGHT onto my right testickal!!!!! The pain was unreal....like an electric shock to my gonads!!
    Then that dull dull deep ache for the remaining 20miles..that never went away!!!!
    No wonder the "pros" tuck everything away...and look like women!!! they clearly know !!!!!
    I have been kicked in the unmentionables once or twice but this was my own doing!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x
  • A pro would have been trackstanding anyway :)

never really thought about which foot to unclip, I guess I just always go with left because that's what I learnt when riding a motorbike, so you can keep your right on the back brake.
  • cougie
    mrfpb wrote:
    I think there have been lengthy "which foot" threads and the consensus seems to be"whichever one is most comfortable" and that it's very difficult to change once you're used to one particular foot being clipped in.

I'd always advocate leaving the right foot in - you want to lean away from traffic rather than unclip and lean out into the road - and I reckon if it goes tits up - falling left is better than falling right.
  • Coffee sprayed all over keyboard :lol:
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    I always unclip with my left so I can put it on the curb. I sure hope after all this you cleaned the chainring, can't imagine blood being a very good lubricant
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • ct8282
    cougie wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

I'd always advocate leaving the right foot in - you want to lean away from traffic rather than unclip and lean out into the road - and I reckon if it goes tits up - falling left is better than falling right.

Well I'd argue that you are always more likely to fall towards the clipped in foot. I'm not going to fall right as that foot is on the floor. Am I missing something?

Anyway, whatever. My natural way is to unclipped the right foot. I just got unlucky, but the gash I can live with right now. The pain in my left testicle however.... Ouch!
  • cougie
    I think the point is that you'll lean the bike over toward the foot that you expect to be unclipping. Obviously if you're foot is down then its unlikely that you'll actually fall - but if you can't get the foot out...
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I didn't want to start a "which foot" debate, as the OP clearly isn't seeking our advice, just sharing his pain for our amusement.

But, hey-ho, my problem starting out with cleats was that when putting pressure on the foot I was releasing, I tended to lean the other way to compensate, then when the foot got unclipped, I'd be leaning the wrong way and start falling (and in the early days, finish falling).
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    The trouble with unclipping your left foot is if you're going too slowly when you unclip, the sideways momentum can send you into the traffic. I've managed to do just that once, fortunately I had the ASL box to myself.
  • ct8282
    Wear a helmet peeps!!

Oh, sorry, wrong thread. :lol:

Look, clearly the lesson here is not about which foot to unclip.... Its about going back again to the nice ladies house who helped sort out the cut after you've squashed your balls.... :shock:
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    ct8282 wrote:

With that and the Tower Hill climbs in the bag I'm flying back along the Pease Pottage road when my left calf cramps and yelping in pain I fall onto the top tube and crush my left bollock! I'm now on the side of the road rubbing my nuts trying to stretch my calf muscle! Thankfully only 2 cars went past!

I know you where in pain and i feel for you,but i laughed my ass off reading this. :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • ct8282
    Davdandy wrote:
    ct8282 wrote:

I know you where in pain and i feel for you,but i laughed my ass off reading this. :mrgreen:

He he. Its ok, go ahead and laugh. I can only imagine the site of me in a calf stretch pose on the side of the ride, both hands down my bib shorts and blood pouring out my other leg. That's how I roll. :D