setup advice sorry

Comments

• Right, dropped my saddle to 74 cm, which is roughly what it should be it was at 76cm so potentially a big drop. But can either move it back or move up in increments.
    Flipped the stem to raise bars up, although am definitely of the opinion that the frame is small. But cost me too much money to change right now. Unless someone wants to buy it.
    Going to try it out tomorrow night will let you know how it goes.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    This is all well and good and it's worth your time playing around with the position of your contact points.

But I've told you what you need to do already - rotate your pelvis, then you wont be sitting so upright!
  • Styxd, I appreciate everyones advice and comments. I really do, however
    HOW THE HELL DO I ROTATE MY PELVIS?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    For the moment don't worry about your body position just go for a test ride and see if it feels better. Better to have your saddle a slightly too low than too high. You should start to get a better idea of what you want then.
  • styxd
    Have a look here http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2 ... sture.html

Bascially, push your arse out. Moving your saddle rearwards may help with this aswell
  • Just moved the saddle back, as tried on the rollers and it felt odd with knee way too far forward.
    Also very conscious that my shoulders are up, so like a peaking turtle! So consciously tried to relax/drop them which bent my arms and appeared to feel lighter on the bars.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Better to have your saddle a slightly too low than too high

+1
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Just moved the saddle back, as tried on the rollers and it felt odd with knee way too far forward.
    Also very conscious that my shoulders are up, so like a peaking turtle! So consciously tried to relax/drop them which bent my arms and appeared to feel lighter on the bars.

That's you taking the weight off your hands and - I suspect if we saw photos - lowering your whole back a little. It feels better, right?

But the bike looks too small mate, if I am totally honest.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben, I am of the same conclusion, and unfortunately am not in the financial situation to buy a new frame. So stuck with this unfortunately, as wont get enough for this one if I sell it.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If the front is still too low you could buy a long adjustable stem and set it to a steeper angle. This will raise the handle bars but reduce the reach to them.

Try this website out first as it will estimate the effect of changing stem lengths and angles

http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx

I used it before flipping my 10 degree 110mm stem to the higher position. You can buy fixed stems up to about 35 degrees if you look around so that will give you an idea of what you can achieve. Just be a bit careful as going too steep is likely to affect your steering but with an adjustable stem you can always move it down again.

Out of interest what is the drop measured vertically from the top of your saddle to the top of your handle bars ?
  • Approx 6.5cm.
  • styxd wrote:
    Have a look here http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2 ... sture.html

Bascially, push your ars* out. Moving your saddle rearwards may help with this aswell

Ok went for a little ride, first opportunity to do so with new settings. Saddle height felt better, spent a lot of time consciously relaxing my shoulders which helped although need to get that to a point where it just happens. Oddly when I thought about it shoulders tensed so had to relax. Position felt better, but hard to explain. Styxd I did what you said, rotate your pelvis, now if I got this right, which feels like my bike was arching hut wasnt it felt good. On the small ride I did when I did that I felt more powerful (possible placebo) it felt lighter on my hands however still started to get pain in the ball of my hand if you like where the thumb is.
    Im guessing this pain will get better as I get more used to it.
    Styxd going to constantly have to think about this although whem you do it you do think that you must look a right tit to passers by.v
  • styxd
    Yeah, you do have to think about doing it, until you eventually just do it automatically.

When you rotated your pelvis, did you notice that your reach to the bars was much improved?

Moving your saddle back can help with this position aswell.
  • Styxd forget reading hogg or cobb you4 advice was spot on. Reach was greatly improved, and arms weren't locked they had a good bend.
    The only issue I now have is weightloss, as rotating my pelvis lowered my position I could really feel my legs on my stomach. They weren't hitting it its hard to explain.
    And again although only a short ride no back pain or neck pain, just got to get the hands used to it and all will be good.
    Cheers styxd
  • styxd
    Good to hear things are improving, stick at it. It's still worth having a play about with saddle tilt and for/aft position to get your optimum.

Generally Steve Hoggs advice is pretty good, althoguh he does sometimes seem to contradict himself. I've a read blog post of his with regards to rotating your pelvis, it was quite interesting but I cant seem to find it again.
  • I really appreciate your help. Felt loads better. I will continue to play a bit as may have the bars set too low, so the hoods lean away but otherwise cheers.
  • styxd
    Try rotating your bars back slightly in the stem, to bring your hoods up, just to see what it feels like.

You may need to play about with hood position and retape your bars. I tend to set my bars/hoods/stem all "inline" with each other, which always works out comfortably on a regualr road bike with a regular 6 degree stem. Like this:

Canyon.jpg
  • Nice bike, retaping bars uh oh. Not sure about that but sure ican learn. Thanks again, ash
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Taping your bars is not as hard as you think just take your time. Look on youtube lots of vids on there about it.
  • styxd
    Nice bike, retaping bars uh oh. Not sure about that but sure ican learn. Thanks again, ash

It aint my bike, i just used it as an example.

Taping bars is quite satisfying if you're in the mood and you take your time
  • Styxd when on the drops and trying to use the levers that your wrists are too angled? Sorry to annoy you
  • Nice bike, retaping bars uh oh. Not sure about that but sure ican learn. Thanks again, ash

Good luck Ashley. Taping, re-taping is easy once you have done it a few times. Getting an aero position where you are comfortable will be easier if you drop a bit of weight. A bit of an incentive if you like. You could always fit a longer stem if the bike feels a bit too small. Practice tilting from the pelvis when stood up. Push your arse out and tilt forwards. Might look a bit strange but it worked for me when I was struggling with my position on the bike.
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    Can't really add anything to this thread but sounds like ashleydwsmith is having similar problems to me getting comfy on the bike, going to try a few of the tips in this thread myself once I get my bike back.
  • Land ash is fine :-)

I do need to lose weight, just need to do it. Its the whole salad thing that does me. Trying to find the right foods and when to eat is my problem. If I have a routine im usually pretty disciplined I just need to fine the right things to eat.
  • Land ash is fine :-)

I do need to lose weight, just need to do it. Its the whole salad thing that does me. Trying to find the right foods and when to eat is my problem. If I have a routine im usually pretty disciplined I just need to fine the right things to eat.

Routine for me includes a 16h fast. No breakfast. Normal lunch at 12 (no need to just eat salad) afternoon snack and dinner before 8. Repeat. Been 75kgs for the last 10 yrs with an athletic rather than skinny build (39 now). Try it for a month. I predict you will lose about a stone. This is a lifestyle, not a diet. Google intermittant fasting if you want more info.
  • But do you not get to apoint where you feel so hungry you feel sick?
  • But do you not get to apoint where you feel so hungry you feel sick?

No, not really. It's a slightly strange feeling, you sort of feel a bit hyper. It helps me keep alert in the mornings. when I used to eat breakfast I always felt lethargic mid morning. Now I feel more alert and productive. I start work early so have 6 hours fasting in the morning to contend with. If you don't get up until 8am or so that is only 4 hours with no food, not exactly hard!

It might take a week to adapt but once you have it's the easiest weight loss/maintenance tool I have ever used.

You can drink black coffee/tea and drink water during the fasting period, just nothing with calories.

Don't go stupid with food intake just because you have been fasting. eat a sensible, healthy diet and the weight will fall off, especially if you combine with some cycling.

I commute to work fasted (not far) which also helps to burn some extra fat.

The best thing about it is the simplicity. no calorie counting, no restricted foods (just a sensible approach to high calorie foods). If you think about it we have not evolved to eat lots of small meals at regular intervals. The body is very adaptable and will not shut down just because you don't eat for 16 hours. It will simply fuel itself with what reserves you have (plenty in most cases) before reaching equilibrium.

Give it a try, what do you have to lose (except for your gut!)

How is the bike fit going by the way?

P.S. hope this does not come over too preachy, just trying to help. Feel free to ignore my advice totally!
  • I will take your advice. I think I need to be more disciplined with what I eat. I never have breakfast, so already there, but go and spoil it by having stupid food intake.
    Bike fit is ok, changed the level of the bars as per the pic and felt great, may need to raise the saddle slightly as felt a bit low today. But getting there!
  • Did 30miles today. Saddle slightly higher. Felt good apart from the wind. However im now concerned im going to jave to move the levers as they are unreachable in the drops. Styxd whats your thoughts?
  • styxd
    Did 30miles today. Saddle slightly higher. Felt good apart from the wind. However im now concerned im going to jave to move the levers as they are unreachable in the drops. Styxd whats your thoughts?

I cant see your photos at the moment, can't understand why your lever's are unreachable though. What do you think the problem is? How comfortable do you feel when in the drops?