Cross Bike Restrictions??

Caller
Caller Posts: 124
edited August 2013 in Amateur race
I'm quite fancy giving cyclocross a try this winter but can't really justify buying a 'cross bike just to try out when I've already got a garage full of MTB's.

One of my current bikes is a steel framed rigid singlespeed 29er. If I were to fit my 29x2.0 mud tyres to the bike along with some drop bars and cable disc brakes, would there be anything stopping me from entering some of the local cross races at Hillingdon?

Obviously I would be racing in whatever novice category they have and wouldn't be bothering the riders at the sharp end!

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    You can ride a MTB in all its glory at many local small-time events (London League for example). Just not at National Trophy races and higher level stuff.
  • Caller
    maryka wrote:
    You can ride a MTB in all its glory at many local small-time events (London League for example). Just not at National Trophy races and higher level stuff.

Great, thanks for that.

I somehow think I won't be anywhere near National Trophy races!
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Fit some cross tyres and a bigger gear:-)
    There is often only one race, so the riders at the sharp end may start overtaking you after a while. Try to get them the fast line when they're coming past:-)
  • Caller
    16mm wrote:
    There is often only one race, so the riders at the sharp end may start overtaking you after a while. Try to get them the fast line when they're coming past:-)

I'll definitely be changing the gearing, the current 32/18 won't get me much above 15mph on the flat :lol:
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Caller wrote:
    16mm wrote:

I'll definitely be changing the gearing, the current 32/18 won't get me much above 15mph on the flat :lol:
    Cross race courses are designed for cross bikes. You'll not need mtb tyres.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    MTBs are usually fine but the organisers may have a website with rules, entry procedure etc. and you may be able to enter online (this is one less headache for organisers).
    16mm wrote:
    Cross race courses are designed for cross bikes. You'll not need mtb tyres.
    Sometimes 'cross races can be a mudfest and you might be better off with a MTB and knobbly tyres!

3568.jpg
    This as the WMCCL round at Sundorne, Nov 2009. A friend rode/pushed/carried his new Genesis Day One Cross, which was somewhat overgeared and after an hour of racing it was totally clogged with mud and grass, even on a relatively flat course.

However, if it's dry some lightweight Ralphs or other low profile racing tyre will be quicker. My club ran some evening events one summer and even in the dry, dusty conditions the MTBs still gave the 'cross bikes a good run for their money, particularly in the woods and the tight stuff.

As for gearing, this thread of interest.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.