Just Typical

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
For the last 8 years, all the bike gear I've owned has clearly been biased towards riding on the right hand side of the road whilst I ride on the left. A typical example is my old Kona waterproof gilet - big reflective stripe on the left. Same goes for my Nike LiveStrong jersey (yellow visibility stripe on the left) and lots of other bits of kit from European & US companies.

So finally I'm going to be a proper urban cyclist so I can buy Rapha "city" clothes. But now I'm going to be riding on the right. And what do I find? All the "visibility" bits (reflective/hi-viz details) on Rapha are on the right..... :roll:
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Turn it inside out, durr.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ride backwards
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • meanredspider
    Ride backwards

It's Amsterdam - I think anything goes......

....oh, you mean cycle backwards.... :wink::lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've never got that about Rapha. They started as a UK only company, but clearly the Euro look was more important than safety... it's always irritated me, but not enough to stop me buying some of their stuff!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've never got that about Rapha. They started as a UK only company, but clearly the Euro look was more important than safety... it's always irritated me, but not enough to stop me buying some of their stuff!
    If the price won't put you off, nothing will!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Ride backwards

It's Amsterdam - I think anything goes......

....oh, you mean cycle backwards.... :wink::lol:
    Rapha and a road bike in Amsterdam? Might as well go for hi viz and a helmet just to really cement the 'out of towner' look :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    bails87 wrote:
    Rapha and a road bike in Amsterdam? Might as well go for hi viz and a helmet just to really cement the 'out of towner' look :wink:

No :lol: The road bike will be for cross-country road rides to other parts of NL. I'm actually looking forward to Granny Bike shopping (N+1 is N+1 after all ;-)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,327
    bails87 wrote:

No :lol: The road bike will be for cross-country road rides to other parts of NL. I'm actually looking forward to Granny Bike shopping (N+1 is N+1 after all ;-)
    You should get something old and British. Something like this or this. Or if you want to look a bit more racy.
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    You should get something old and British. Something like this or this. Or if you want to look a bit more racy.

Love that last BSA - it's very tempting as I'm down to Glasgow in a couple of weeks. They all look a bit lightweight for Amsterdam :wink: I particularly like it because my Grandfather had a 1930's BSA Scout 4-wheeler car which I helped him restore - oh, and my first air rifle (which I still have 34 years later) is a BSA Meteor.

Make take a punt on it!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:

:lol:
    I'm only jealous! I wish I lived somewhere where I could trundle around on a 'town' bike in relative safety.

By 'relative safety' I obviously mean 'the red light district'.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • veronese68
    Make take a punt on it!
    Do it, I think it's lovely.
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Make take a punt on it!

Only concern is that, as a ladies bike, it'll be too small. I'm 6'
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Make take a punt on it!

Where would she sit?
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Make take a punt on it!

Only concern is that, as a ladies bike, it'll be too small. I'm 6'
    You won't be going far so it should be fine. I sometimes ride the EPO's station hack if I'm bumbling about and need to carry stuff.
    BSA.jpg
    Contrary to the cranks it's not a BSA but a Hercules or Henderson or something. I can ride that and I'm over 6', although it could use a longer stem.
  • meanredspider
  • meanredspider
    Or I could take coals to Newcastle

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Gorge ... 5707883%26
  • veronese68
    I like the Enfield, not so keen on the Raleigh. Rod brakes may be a disadvantage though. If you get something old but with side pull calipers they can be massively improved with these. Stuck a set on our hack and they are bolt on and a huge improvement.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    that enfield looks very similar to my one....

IMG_0137_2.jpg

GB brakes, stem & bars

i keep intending to spray the old girl (1963 its from!!)

its just a frame now...

the name badge went from

IMG_0146.jpg

to

IMG_1269.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I like the Enfield, not so keen on the Raleigh. Rod brakes may be a disadvantage though. If you get something old but with side pull calipers they can be massively improved with these. Stuck a set on our hack and they are bolt on and a huge improvement.

I assume it is a fixie though so brakes less important. I believe quite a few Amsterdam granny bikes are fixies