castelli, rapha, gore, giordana or other winter kit

brearley
brearley Posts: 165
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
So as it is coming up to winter season again I am looking for some winter clothing.
I have had my Assos kit for around 6 years now so is showing signs of wear and will be demoted to when my new kit is dirty or in the wash.
My question is what should I be replacing it with?
I don't like the idea of full black winter kit so any upper body clothing should be high vis or a colour which can be seen.
current top spot for me is rapha pro team jacket, rapha deep winter tights and rapha high vis gillet
alternatively I could go for the castelli san remo thermosuit. or separate tights and jacket ( don't know which one )

If there are any others please let me know.
I don't want to mix and match.
I'd also like a buff type thing which will probably end up being the rapha one which is tailored fit.
final piece I would like is a headband type ear cover (don't want a full hat as I always wear a helmet.

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    It may just be me, but I can't wear those tights, just look too silly. Never seem to get that cold legs anyway.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • brearley
    which tights? the rapha ones?
    looking at castelli can anybody advise what size i'd need.

I'm 5ft 9/ 177cm tall weigh 70kg (fluctuates a lot and should be around 65kg by next season) with a 30-32inch waist. 34inch chest.
    I have large assos kit but this is slightly on the baggy side so if I was buying again I'd go for medium in those, would I need to do the same for castelli?
    In Rapha sizing I should be a small
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME if you want products that last, then get ones made from Gore fabrics i.e. Gore Bike Wear, Castelli, Sportful or ExteOndo, amongst other - they are the best quality fabrics that will outlast all the others despite their often higher pricetags. I have a Castelli winter jacket with white panels that still comes up gleaming white after 4 years - I've had light-coloured Assos kit look cr@p having stained permanently after one dirty ride.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Go with whatever you want - but I'd go with a cheap fluo gilet over the top in winter. Keeps the crap off the nice stuff and all it has to do is be bright. You can do the ninja look underneath.

Castelli kit comes up small on the legs. I'm a 32" waist and need an XL.
  • It may just be me, but winter is 4 months away
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • You might want to take a look at the DHB Vaeon Roubaix. They also do tights which go to lower temperatures, but I was riding on the road with snow at the road side last year at 7pm in the evening, so I am guessing below zero temperatures, and they were fine. Good value. They do some more expensive ones too. Not all DHB kit is great as I sent back some overshoes which were badly designed, but these Vaeon tights are good performers and I would recommend them.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Aye. If you can the correct fit you cannot beat the Vaeon Roubaix.

For other layers I've gone a different direction this year and picked up Madison Genesis Team Kit. The softshell in particular, for £129, is bloody brilliant.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got the Endura Equipe bib longs, they're fantastic !!!
    http://www.enduraequipe.com/products/legwear/thermo_windshield_biblongs.aspx

Wind proof, waterproof shins and backside, fleecy lining, faultless IMO.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    It may just be me, but winter is 4 months away

In the UK it'll be here in a week or so.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • Another vote for Endura winter kit. British firm as well ..... more importantly Scottish, so they know a thing or two about dealing with winter weather.

I have a couple of their shell jackets and I swear by their mitts and gloves.
  • calmx5
    calmx5 Posts: 230
    If you are thinking of going the Rapha route, just wait until their sale is out of the way, and all the winter items will be stocked
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Pro Team Jacket only available in black, Rain Jacket in the sale with an extra 10% off
    Castelli Espresso Duo probably a better jacket than the Rapha offerings, the Zips on the chest and arms allow
    a greater range of temperatures. The Gabba is an alternative loved by some.
  • brearley
    I think with the Castelli sale on at ribble this weekend the best VFM option seems to be the castelli sanremo thermosuit.
    Basically getting a quality pair of leggings and jacket for under £200 plus it has some good high vis sections.
    I will probably get a sotile gillet down the line.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    It may just be me, but winter is 4 months away

Which is why he's planning ahead
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    brearley wrote:
    which tights? the rapha ones?
    looking at castelli can anybody advise what size i'd need.

I'm 5ft 9/ 177cm tall weigh 70kg (fluctuates a lot and should be around 65kg by next season) with a 30-32inch waist. 34inch chest.
    I have large assos kit but this is slightly on the baggy side so if I was buying again I'd go for medium in those, would I need to do the same for castelli?
    In Rapha sizing I should be a small

All tights.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Brearley,
    Last winter i invested in some new castelli, an espresso jacket and their deep winter tigths (can't remember the exact name).
    First few rides i was worried i was too warm! However when January came round and we had 3 months of bl**dy freezing they were fantastic. I just needed a rapha ( others available) long sleeve marino underneath the jacket and i was toasty even of 4 or 5 hour rides.
    I am 5' 10 - 32 waist, 40 chest/shoulders. I use large legs, and jackett. for me the fit is perfect.

I would suggest they may not last quite as well as gore or Rapha, but no worse than assos, and perhaps the finishing detail is not upto rapha, but then with a bit of well sorted discount they are very cost effective and i am sure i'll get another 3 or 4 winters out of them.
    Agree with the comment above about buying rapha in the sales. i have just picked up Grand tour shoes @ £225!
    Hope that helps?

Sniff.