Which wheels

mingles
mingles Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in Road general
I have a pair of Fulcrum Racing 5's and a pair of Open Pro's on Miche Primato's. For some reason I find that the Racing 5's just roll and climb so much better, although they are a cheaper wheelset. Am I paying the price of the extra strength in the open pro's or is it the hubs? TheOpen Pro/Primato's came highly recommended and hand built for me.

Comments

• triban
    triban Posts: 149
    Do you know the weights for each wheelset? i think the FR5's are around 1760g

Maybe your handbuilts are heavier? that could account for the improved performance on the Fulcrums - the Fulcrums are Hand Built as well btw.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Same tyres? There may also be a psychological effect - the real world differences between those sets will be tiny.
  • mingles
    mingles Posts: 3
    Yes guys, both on Ultremo ZX's with Michelin lightweight tubes. The open Pro's are on an Ultegra 12-25 block and the Fulcrums were on a 105 12-25 block, but I have this week changed the 5's to a Sram Red 11-23, but that doesn't affect my question as it was with the old blocks on.

Drivertrain is a SRAM Red 53/39 chainset, Red front changer and Force rear mech with a Red chain.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    The handbuilts will be more reliable and longer lasting. If you snap a spoke in the middle of nowhere on your Fulcrums you're probably looking at a taxi ride home

Absolute rubbish.
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    The handbuilts will be more reliable and longer lasting. If you snap a spoke in the middle of nowhere on your Fulcrums you're probably looking at a taxi ride home

nonsense..had a pair of fulcrum 5s that got me through 2 winters...cleared a good 9000 miles on them. in that time I experienced 2 snapped spokes, both times the wheels where still good to ride..indeed one time, I had no choice but to commute a couple of extra days with the broke spoke taped to a good spoke as I had no time to get it repaired. If two went at once I reckon you would be struggling mind!
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    Why do you bother riding on your RS80's if every time u snap a spoke they become unrideable, you suggest it's happened a few times, so maybe bin them if they are so bad. Also would you not need a taxi home if you snapped a spoke on your other wheels in the middle of nowhere?
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    It can be a matter of spoke count. A 20 spoke wheel will go badly out of true (and potentially become unridable) if a single spoke breaks. A 28 or a 32, not so much.