Faint clicking

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Recently built up my dartmoor hornet. About 3 weeks old, ridden every day, about 10 heavy day sessions and a daily commute.

Over the last week, I've noticed a "click" every now and again. I've tried to isolate the click and failed. I can't feel any play in the headset by rocking the bike forward with brakes on. Chainring bolts are tight, crank arms are tightened. It appears to happen when standing and applying presure, but I think I've heard it just after I've stopped pedalling and started freewheeling.

It's not a really loud noise as such, but is annoying as its a new build and surely shouldn't be clicking? The BB came with the ZEE crankset and is new. I didnt grease the threads however on the BB, but it is tight. Any suggestions?

Comments

• pesky_jones
    The BB also came with three spacers, I used one on each side of the bb shell, so one is spare, although this one has grooves on the inside, and is different from the other two.

The spacer between the BB sheel and the BB cup.

Also, whats the difference between a band type and a bracket type BB?
  • pesky_jones
    http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50rparsys-0017-downloadFile.html/11)%20Crankset%20Installation.pdf
    I think that is the relevant doc for my ZEE crankset,

Going by the diagram, apparently I shouldnt have any spacers in if my BB shell is 73mm, which I think it is. Could these be a cause?
  • pesky_jones
    anybody?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you have anything fitted on the BB - chain device or mech, then no spacers. If you have a band on mech you need one on the drive side.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    A bracket BB fits around the BB, a band on one fits around the seat tube.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But the doc you have linked to is for an XTR, which I'm sure is different to a Zee.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Hi first post on here But i am having the exact same problems a yourself. I have just finished building an on one 456 evo 2 custom build with full shimano slx groupset and am getting the same faint clicking noise every nown again and it's really bugging me! Thought it was the new superstar pedals so swapped them for my nukeproof ones and I am still getting the same noise. My bb is also tight and am running 2 x 10 cranks so have one spacer on the drive side as per the instructions.
    Did u get to the bottom of the problem?

Thanks Jamie
  • pesky_jones
    Nope, still not solved it. bugger
  • Nope, still not solved it. bugger
    Me either I was out today for a ride and it was doing it again I am thinking about buying a new bb although the one that's in is brand new and replacing it to see if its faulty it's the only thing I can think of that would make the noise in that area!
    Keep me posted if u get to the cause of the problem.

Cheers Jamie
  • pesky_jones
    I was thinking about doing the same thing mate. Mines got worse now. Maybe a new chainring aswell. I dont like just throwing cash at it, but I am literally baffled by it
  • Fitted a new bb yesterday and it seems to have cured it for now! So I will be sending the old(new) one back as it shouldn't be doing that after 3 rides. Will see how I get on only cost about 25 but the money is better in my pocket.
  • Good to hear that mate, I wonder why it was doing it? Sounds like both mine and yours started when reasoonably new. I might swap mine out in that case
  • The new one is a shimano saint one which is better than the xt/slx one that was fitted. Don't know if it was just a faulty one or not! But the noise had disappeared now been out again this morning and its silent no clicking or tinging noises. The saint one is much better so will probably stick with these in the future. I am still going to send the faulty one back though as it shouldn't be doing that after only a couple of rides.
    Hope u get yours sorted as well keep me posted on how you get on!

Jamie
  • Nice one. Got any pics of you build jamie it sounds cool
  • I will try and get some up later on of both my bikes been meaning to do it for a couple of days. I am currently running after a 1 year old just now so when I get some rest bite I will get them up! The 456 was my first ever build so it was all new to me but turned out pretty good for a first attempt!

Jamie
  • Jones, it could be quite a lot of things. Ive read something about ferrules creaking and stuff, read that loads of people have had that problem.

An example: after lots and lots of looking and listening i was totally convinced that the clicking i was experiencing was coming from the headtube area. I later found out that it was the overtightening of my seatpost clamp. I never would have guessed it, it was the fact that the sound disappeared when i was standing up that made me think of it, otherwise that would be the last place i would have checked.

I doubt its the seat for you as you describe the problem is occurring when standing up. How thin is your frame? It may even be the frame. My uncles Zaskar sounds like a coke can when you flick it as its quite thin, and it makes a hefty amount of noise when you ride it apparently, creaking and cracking
  • What so, just wrap all the ferrules in insulation tape? Might as well give it a go, worst case scenario all my ferrules are taped up, and I know that they're not the problem.

Just realised I dont have the packing plate in the left crank arm, anyone know if this is serious?

If I dont find it soon I reckon it might be new BB time :evil:
  • Meh I bit the bullet and ordered a new BB. Hopefully it works!
  • Good luck mate! We all know how much clicks and sounds can ruin the enjoyment.
  • BB wasn't the problem :/

I also farked a clamp bolt in the LH crank arm tightening it too much, It just won't get tight now. It's my fault, I didnt have the plate spacer in the gap. I think it's just the bolt and not the thread in the crank arm, ordered both a new bolt and a new clamp plate. It's still rideable though right? The bolt is still in, it just won't tighten - and the other bolt is obviously fine.

But back to the clicking, its not faint anymore and now it is more periodic - I'm at a loss.
  • When mechanic was looking over the bike, he saw that the rear hub had completely loosened, with no explanation as to why. He tightened it back up and told me to keep an eye on it. I think this might have somehting to do with the clicking. Although it happens when I'm standing and applying pressure, I think the cassettte could be acting strangely on it.
  • Did you not know that your hub was loose? I thought you may have felt it while riding or putting the bike down/picking it up.

Did the clicking change in any way after the hub was tightened back up?
  • http://www.pinkbike.com/video/332309/

Anyone recgonise that clicking? You can hear it better towards the end of the vid. I'm pretty sure I tried everything. Chainring bolts are tight, pedals are tight, crank arms are on tight, bb is greased and tight, spokes in rear wheel are properley tensioned. I'm at a loss
  • My only advance is the discovery that one of the chainring bolts isnt as tight as it could be, it keeps spinning the nut.

It isn't however loose, so I dont see how the loud clicking could come from this "loose" chainring bolt. It is pretty solid.
  • cooldad
    So tighten it up and see.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Yeah i'll have to get a specific spanner to do it. I'm not confident that that's even the problem though.
  • I cleaned the bike yesterday, cant remember doing anything specific, but today the clicking has disappeared! This has happened before however so I'm still dubious...hmm