clipless pedals

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking to upgrade my current tow clip/normal trainers to clipless and road shoes, mainly cycle to commute though town so some stopping/starting only a short distance 4 mile each way and I have Trek 2.1 2013 which is 105 throughout, so was looking at the 105 pedals as I was looking at DHB 1 or 2 not sure if the pedals and shoes are compatable (don't want have mess with adaptors) whilst I don't need to be able to walk far in the shoes I was also thinking of mtb style shoes just in case need to walk and also have pedals that are flat one sided so could use normal shoes when just jumping on the bike to go to shops, would it make any difference if the pedals arn't "designed/marketed to go with the particular group set?
Thanks
Andy

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Most pedals will fit any groupset, they usually come with the cleats. You just need to make sure the shoes you get will take the cleats, they are either two hole or three hole attachment.
    I have used my pedals with trainers but not for very long distances, but some as you say are flat on one side and are quite usable in trainers. Good luck. :)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Sorry just to add, I think the DHB shoes are a three bolt cleat fitting.
  • AndyH01 wrote:
    Lo I have Trek 2.1 2013 which is 105 throughout

Apart from the chainset which isn't and the rear cassette which isn't. ;)
    would it make any difference if the pedals arn't "designed/marketed to go with the particular group set?

No, all pedals fit into standard screw holes into the cranks so you can fit any pedals you please.

If road then then 105 pedals are a good as choice as any. If 'MTB', I have M980 on the same crank as you're using or M520 are an excellent choice too.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Thanks for the replies, whilst I kniow any pedal will fit I just wondered if any advantage in matching it all up but as I stand correct that I haven't got a true 105 bike (that the lbs said it was) now got me thinking whether to upgrade the breaks, chainset and rear cassette but as it's main purpose is only used as a short (4 mile each way) commuting bike and therefore difficult to justify to the mrs oh and was tempted with some new wheels
  • AndyH01 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, whilst I kniow any pedal will fit I just wondered if any advantage in matching it all up but as I stand correct that I haven't got a true 105 bike (that the lbs said it was) now got me thinking whether to upgrade the breaks, chainset and rear cassette but as it's main purpose is only used as a short (4 mile each way) commuting bike and therefore difficult to justify to the mrs oh and was tempted with some new wheels

The brake calipers - yes. They are Tektro crap and one of the first things I did with my 2.1 was swap them for proper 105 calipers, instant massive difference. The chainset and cassette, nah, they're grand.

Wheels would indeed be a good upgrade as the supplied are heavy.