Strava Stelvio in March 2013

dsoutar
dsoutar Posts: 1,746
edited September 2013 in Road general
Far be it for me to criticise or question other people's Strava times as I'm certainly never going to trouble any KOM efforts, but there's a (exceptional) time in Strava for one of the routes on the Stelvio for the beginning of March this year. Given the fact that there were still 8 foot drifts on it in May - it this not somewhat questionable ? Was there a period where it all melted or something ? Or could it just be that the date on their GPS was wrong (but surely it gets it from the satellite anyway)

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Linky ?

Does sound very dodgy to me - as you say May had 8 foot of snow at the side - but they had cleared it for the Giro to ride through. That said - they closed the Prato approach even to cyclists - such was the risk of avalanches. I'd be very surprised if it was passable in March. I think he's set up his Garmin date wrong or something.
  • dsoutar
    Here's the link http://www.strava.com/activities/43539120#1247093932

However I still don't get the date thing as surely the date comes off the GPS data. I could imagine the time being wrong because you've maybe not set up the timezone
  • If you look at the comments on his page at the bottom he says:

Guy P to do in the summer.

I have a feeling that he saves rides he wants to do by putting times in, and then simply putting to do in summer or something so noone can say he is cheating.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Flag the ride if you think the ride is not valid?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    As stated above, doesn't look like a done ride to me but a holiday itinerary.. 400 plus miles in 45 hours across the alps doesn't seem all that likely, the guys overall mileage is about half my own
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bizarre. Why would you put that into strava ?

Has he planned it off line and somehow transferred all of his data into Strava and forgotten about the planned one ? Its a hell of a ride ! :-)
  • dsoutar
    If you look at the comments on his page at the bottom he says:

Guy P to do in the summer.

I have a feeling that he saves rides he wants to do by putting times in, and then simply putting to do in summer or something so noone can say he is cheating.

Ahh - hadn't spotted that. RTFM I guess. However still a rather odd thing to do. Each to his own I guess

Bit naughty nicking the KOM though (if you're into that sort of thing)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    KOM has been flagged... Not sure if result of this thread or by a disgruntled European type person
  • i imagine he has planned it on something like http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx then exported the gpx file and uploaded it to strava.

No danger he did 400+ miles over the alps, non stop at that time of the year!