Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Track pumps

DavdandyDavdandy Posts: 571
edited August 2013 in Workshop
I know this has probably been mentioned many times but here goes anyways.

I currently use this Halfords track pump.And although it pumps up to 100psi to reach the 100 mark is a real effort.I use all my strength to achieve this,great is i want a work out but not ideal.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165661

So i was thinking about an upgrade.This one caught my eye but what are your thoughts without paying too much.£40 seems a good price to me.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65661#tab3
Cannondale CAAD 8 105
Rockrider 8.1

Posts

  • diamonddogdiamonddog Posts: 3,411
    Have a look at Planet X site for track pumps, I have one of the Phaart ones from there great vfm. :)
  • DavdandyDavdandy Posts: 571
    Phaart ,the follow through track pumps.Hahahaha,i thought it was a joke at first. :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • gozzygozzy Posts: 640
    Joe Blows are excellent and you'll not struggle to reach 120 psi.
  • diamonddogdiamonddog Posts: 3,411
    Davdandy wrote:
    Phaart ,the follow through track pumps.Hahahaha,i thought it was a joke at first. :mrgreen:
    It really blows well mate :lol:
  • t4tomot4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I have a halfords one an its absolutley fine to 100psi and beyond.

    Are you sure you are slackening off the valves enough when you pump?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • diamonddogdiamonddog Posts: 3,411
    Davdandy wrote:
    I know this has probably been mentioned many times but here goes anyways.

    I currently use this Halfords track pump.And although it pumps up to 100psi to reach the 100 mark is a real effort.I use all my strength to achieve this,great is i want a work out but not ideal.

    Don't forget that you have a certain amount of pressure pushing back against the air you are trying to put in so it will get a bit harder at the higher pressures.
  • gozzygozzy Posts: 640
    Difficulty inflating is usually solved by pressing the valve, after unscrewing, to release pressure. Even with a small hand pump achieving 100psi shouldn't be too difficult.
  • arlowoodarlowood Posts: 2,519
    My vote would be for the Lezyne Floor Drive

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-steel-fl ... 5360458158

    Have used one for a couple of years now - can't fault it.

    Main advantage IMO is that it uses a threaded connector to secure the hose to the valve which avoids potential leakage problems with some of the friction/lever attachments on other pumps.
  • chrisaonabikechrisaonabike Posts: 1,912
    arlowood wrote:
    My vote would be for the Lezyne Floor Drive
    +1
    Main advantage IMO is that it uses a threaded connector to secure the hose to the valve which avoids potential leakage problems with some of the friction/lever attachments on other pumps.
    Yes, this is a brilliant feature.

    Top tip with it: press the little black button to release the pressure in the line after pumping. Otherwise it's impossible to get the connector off without releasing all the air in the tyre as well.

    Took me a few goes to figure that out :oops: :oops:
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • DavdandyDavdandy Posts: 571
    t4tomo wrote:
    I have a halfords one an its absolutley fine to 100psi and beyond.

    Are you sure you are slackening off the valves enough when you pump?

    I thought about that but even pumping the mountain bikes to 60 psi with schrader and presta valves takes some doing.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • t4tomot4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Davdandy wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    I have a halfords one an its absolutley fine to 100psi and beyond.

    Are you sure you are slackening off the valves enough when you pump?

    I thought about that but even pumping the mountain bikes to 60 psi with schrader and presta valves takes some doing.

    Ok so either you've got a duff / damaged one or I've got a good one - or both.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
Sign In or Register to comment.