Cracking coming from headtube area

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, i have had this problem of a cracking headset for ages now, and i just cant get it to stop. I am 100% sure i have fitted the headset correctly and got all the parts in the correct order. I have tried loosening the headset and the stem then tightening the headset and tightening the stem up after, to make sure its all tight and snug, and i am tightening the headset up quite tight, so i am adamant that the problem isnt a loose fork.

I have also taken the fork off and greased every single part of the headset and fork steerer. I also greased inside the headtube. The only part of the headset i havent greased is in between the headset cups and the headtube. There wont be any grease in there anyway even if i tried because it would just get pushed out when i put the cups back in.

I have read on another forum that it could be ferrules causing the noise, which i doubt but it could be a possibility. I have also read that it could be the cables slapping against the frame but im sure it is not that, it doesnt sound anything like cable slap but i will give it a go anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this creaking/cracking noise? It really ruins the ride D:

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Can you actually feel play in the headset? If you hold on the front brake and rock the bike forward ever so slightly you should feel a small amount of play if there is any - it will be tiny n you'll have to concentrate. Dont get it confused with the fork travelling
  • gt-arrowhead
    i dont have a front brake at the minute :oops:, otherwise i would do that, thats the best way to check. Instead I get the bike up on the rear wheel and lift it up a couple of inches, then drop it. Usually you can feel the play and hear the fork moving around in the headset but it is not as accurate. I dont feel anything, and the headset is properly tight anyway.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep. On rear end with front wheel in the air and bounce with your fingers around the headset to feel for any movement and listen out for any vibration.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    i dont have a front brake at the minute :oops:, .
    Death ruins the ride more.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fredblob
    fredblob Posts: 196
    i dont have a front brake at the minute :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

thats brave :P :P :P :P

rather you then me
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    My mate rides the same bike as me without a front brake. He used to ride with no brakes, and no chain at one point believe it or not. Granted, he was a lot more into street stuff then
  • gt-arrowhead
    When i read no brakes i instantly thought of a fixie type bike, like the ones where you back pedal to slow down. But then i read "no chain" and i was like :shock: :shock: :shock: Thats like trying to drive a car with no driveshaft.

I think i may have just got to the bottom of the click/cracking noise. I realised that the sound stopped when standing up, no matter what i did (push down on the forks hard, lift the front wheel up etc) the sound wasnt happening. Then as soon as i sat down it started making the cracking. Turns out that i had the seat clamp really tight. I loosened it off a bit and re tightened it and a quick trip up and down the road shows positive results. Im going for a bike ride up in the forest with mates tomorrow so that will be a good enough test to see if it all holds up without any cracking.

fredblob wrote:
    thats brave :P :P :P :P

rather you then me

You think thats brave? I was messing about in the skate park today and i had a very very bad off...all because of my bravery. I took a long run up to go up the ramp and clear the flat bit at the top and go back down the ramp on the other side...doing a wheelie. I bloody did it alright! :lol: when i got to the bottom of the ramp the bike lifted away from under me and i landed quite heavily on my back. I was so winded i couldnt reply to my mate asking me if i was alright. My mate was laughing at me because i was scrambling to put the chain back on when i couldnt even speak! Bike comes first, always!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably the shonky fork making the noise which is a presume a creaking not a cracking!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gt-arrowhead
    When you say shonky i take it you mean the dual crown zooms? They are gone. I now have an RST Deuce.

I dont really know which of the two suits the sound best really, so i said both :)