Stiff Steering

johnmcsorley
johnmcsorley Posts: 42
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
This may seem like an odd thing to ask but is there anyway to make your bike steering stiffer? The reason I ask is that my Cube Agree GTC SLT has very light steering, twitchy even and I was wondering if it was possible to make it a bit stiffer and easier to control.

Is there pro's and con's to light or stiffer steering on a bike?

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,515
    Do you mean stiffer steering (ie harder to move the handlebars) or slower steering (ie larger movement of your hands required to steer the bike)?
  • CSDGC
    CSDGC Posts: 8
    edited August 2013
    A shorter stem/handlebars would give less leverage on the steering. Movements affect the wheel more. The steering is 'stiffer'.
    A longer stem/wider handlebars would give more leverage. Movements affect the wheel less. The steering is 'slower'.
    Other than that I'm not sure what you mean. Making it physically harder would require more friction in the headset. Regrease your bearings with glue.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    This may seem like an odd thing to ask but is there anyway to make your bike steering stiffer? The reason I ask is that my Cube Agree GTC SLT has very light steering, twitchy even and I was wondering if it was possible to make it a bit stiffer and easier to control.

Is there pro's and con's to light or stiffer steering on a bike?

Are you putting any weight on your hands when riding? If the bike is set up properly you shouldn't be able to make steering stiffer. However, if the feeling is the headset is loose then that needs to be looked at.

Is this a new bike? Are you new to dropped bars.

It's possible that the stem needs to be dropped or you may need a longer stem or both. You may be too upright, the bike may well feel light then.

It may also be that the bike is not the right style for you, I think this is meant to be a sporty, quick reacting bike.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • This isn't my first road bike, having had a Giant Defy 1 for a year and did a few Sportives and a Century on it, I went for a lighter faster bike but just find the steering really light, twitchy in fact.

I've been for a bike fit and know it's not my position. I think it's probably because this is my first proper race bike and I think I'm going to try a shorter stem on it.
  • I've just changed to a shorter stem on mine (100mm down to 60mm) to help my ride position. Shortening the stem makes the bike feel twitchier. I'm still getting used to it but it definitely feels more reactive to any input on the bars.
  • Htron
    Htron Posts: 47
    I've just changed to a shorter stem on mine (100mm down to 60mm) to help my ride position. Shortening the stem makes the bike feel twitchier. I'm still getting used to it but it definitely feels more reactive to any input on the bars.

Did you buy your bike new from an LBS? Sounds like it is much too big for you if you need a 60mm stem?
  • Htron wrote:
    I've just changed to a shorter stem on mine (100mm down to 60mm) to help my ride position. Shortening the stem makes the bike feel twitchier. I'm still getting used to it but it definitely feels more reactive to any input on the bars.

Did you buy your bike new from an LBS? Sounds like it is much too big for you if you need a 60mm stem?

Htron - bought new from Wiggle. Yes a tad on the big side. Ride position has felt fine for the first 3 months or so. I just feel happier being a bit more upright when on the hoods. In hindsight I'd have been better off at an LBS but hadn't found a good one around here until after making the purchase.