11 speed upgrade Q's

johnnymcg259
johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
edited September 2013 in Workshop
I'm thinking of upgrading for 2014 season to 11 speed Ultegra 6800 (mechanical). Can I get away with just upgrading to STI's, rear mech, front mech, cassette and chain? I currently have a 2012 Sram Red gxp chainset and wasn't sure if this is compatible? (I already have an 11 speed compatible rear hubbed wheel). Thanks, J

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Yes, but you still need to sort out your wheels... the freehub most likely won't take an 11 speed cassette
    left the forum March 2023
  • don't get you ugo?...... i have a recently purchased 11speed d/ace 9000 c24 rear wheel now, which is running 10 speed+spacer at the mo..... until i swap over and go 11 speed next year?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Are you trying to ask whether the chainset is compatible with an 11 speed chain?

I presume so. I doubt it would make any difference at all.
    Although I am on Campag, I have a selection of TA chainrings which are all 10 speed and there is no compatibility problems with my 11 speed set up. The difference between 10 speed chain width and 11 speed is tiny.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Yes, that's what I was meaning. Many thanks.........I'll look to stick with the SRAM Red 10 speed chainset and run 11 speed then when I go 11 speed next year. J
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Your welcome. Don't ask that ugo.santalucia bloke about anything again. He knows nothing. He's still riding his trusty rusty penny farthing. :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!