Boardman noise since service

tonyhogg
tonyhogg Posts: 115
edited August 2013 in Workshop
Just had a yearly service done on my boardman road team carbon and the first 150miles were fine, but now the drivetrain is so noisy, like a horrible scraping type sound, hard to explain so I've uploaded a video to YouTube, it's had some cables replaced on its yearly service so halfords guessed these needed retightening, but it's made no difference, still really loud in the small cog at the front, granny gears at the back for climbing hills, hope someone could help me out with suggestions what it could be or I'll have a lot of trips to halfords to sort it
http://youtu.be/5rm2tbOT_80

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Could be rubbing on dérailleur. If might just be the cable tension, try adjusting it in eighth or quarter turns max.
    Clockwise to tighten , anti to loosen. Halfords are not renowned for their bike mechanic skills it seems. :shock:
  • tonyhogg
    The chain doesn't appear to be rubbing, its louder underload, pretty quiet on a work stand, only time I get chain rub noise is in the big ring last 2 gears but I can trim this out
  • diamonddog
    Take it to your LBS and let them have a look at it but I would avoid Halfords as since they did your service you have the problem. Some Halfords are better than others for servicing but none are great or so I have heard.
  • diamonddog
    edited August 2013
    Sorry when you say last two gears do you mean high gears?
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    Sounds like the bottom bracket. I had this on my last boardman and had it replaced twice in 1000 miles under warranty.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • tonyhogg
    I'm not cross chaining, I get a small amount of chain rub going flat out down hills last 2 gears, hardest ones to pedal, I'm doubtful it's the bb got my heart set on another problem, replace the bb30 regrease it, torque it up blah blah I want it to be something more exotic to be honest
  • tonyhogg
    Does anyone have any more suggestions what could be causing this loud drivetrain noise please? http://youtu.be/5rm2tbOT_80 I'm at a loss to explain it
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just sounds like chainrub on the front derallieur to me ... what happens when you've got it in the big ring?
  • tonyhogg
    It gets a bit quieter in the big ring, very noisy in the small chain ring, I wish I could explain it better, you can't really hear any problem on a workstand either
  • Bottom bracket. I had this on a hybrid team. Known issue on boardmans
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sounds like it wants to change gear at the back. Does it always change gear when you upshift and downshift on the rear derailleur?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Have you got a photo close up of the front derailleur in the 'suspect gear' from directly above?

Also, a picture of the rear derailleur and cassette from directly behind?

Might help to see anything obvious.

PP
  • tonyhogg
    Yep it always changes gear perfectly on the rear up shift or downshift no probs, I've left it with my local hellfrauds sorry halfords with their boardman "gold" mechanic, I'll take some close up pics when I get it back, I'm certain they won't have fixed it, thanks for the help and advice so far
  • It could be that they have removed the chainset and missed out/added some spacers so that the chainset isn't correctly aligned with the rear sprockets any more.