Evans cycles and Pashley

Delta 65
Delta 65 Posts: 5
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
A couple of weeks ago I bought my wife a Pashley Princess Sovereign from Evans Cycles online. Evans were extremely helpful and the bike is absolutely fantastic. I decided to save up for and buy a Pashley Parabike for myself. I phoned Evans (about the only place in England to have the Parabike in stock) today to order the bike with next day delivery but was told that they can only send Pashley bikes to one of their shops for the customer to collect. Living in Norfolk, that would mean in excess of five hours train travel to achieve. The reason for this (they said) was because Pashley felt that straightening and tightening a quill stem is something that only a bike shop mechanic can do. I got the distinct impression that they wanted me to go away. I got straight on the phone to Pashley who told me that they were unaware of any such restriction. I also called several other bike shops who knew nothing of it. I got back to Evans who were adamant that they would not send me a Pashley bike. To get one from another bike shop involves a three week wait. I have the week off next week and, simply put, I want the damn bike now. :x
I've ordered the bike from Evans online, where no mention was made of being unable to send it to me. I shall probably get a phone call tomorrow telling me they can't deliver it. I'm stressed and fed up. What about a bit of good old customer service? What about someone senior making a command decision to help the customer? Perhaps I should offer to email a disclaimer exonerating them in the event of me putting the bike together wrongly and injuring myself.
Watch this space. :(

Comments

• Hmmm ....
  • Well, the bike was delivered today. Just exactly what all that nonsense was about at Evan's is beyond me. I've never had problems with them before. The lesson learned is: If buying a Pashley from Evans, do it online, not over the phone.

Chuffed to bits with my new Parabike.