2nd Bike (Upgrading from Hybrid)

fredatkinson
fredatkinson Posts: 18
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi guys. So firstly I just want to start this by apologising. I know there a like a million other threads asking the same as this on, but I couldn't quite find an answer to my question within them- so sorry for starting another "which road bike" thread, but if you can bear with me I'd really appreciate it.

So basically I bought a 2011 Specialized Sirrus Comp a couple of years back when I started cycling. Since then have really got into it and now do a 60 mile ride most weekends on it, and have started doing shorter sportives etc. I've upgraded the tyres to 23mm and the pedals to clipless ones, but I'm now getting to the stage where I'm thinking about replacing with a road bike. My reasoning for it is not really for speed (although that would be a bonus), but more I would like to upgrade to something to enable me to head towards sort of 100+ mile rides. As it stands now I tend to find that after the sort of 60 mile mark my hands are like jelly- and although I have bar-ends, it doesn't really give me the options of position that drops might have.

Obviously I've done a bit of reading through other posts, and the upshot tends to be- go to the bike shop and have a look. I've been down to CycleSurgery and Evans here in London, and although the guys were helpful in both, they both said it helps to narrow down your search a little bit. Basically as I'm upgrading I want something that is going to warrant upgrading to- so my budget is the sort of £1.5-£2k mark. I'm looking for something that I can use all year round and I mainly cycle in and around the home counties so the roads are okay-ish.

As it's what I know, I've looked at the Specialized Tarmac and Roubaix Sport models which come in at about £1600 and the Elite versions come in at £1900 (for the 2014 models, 2013 are slightly cheaper)- not sure if people have any thoughts? Alternatively I've been looking at the Pinarello FPDue 2013 which comes in around £1950. Again not sure if anyone has any experience of it? It could well be not that great- but as I'm fairly new to road bikes, I'm a bit of a sucker for a brand- and also I personally think it looks decent.... but that's definitely not the best reason to buy it! :D

Anyway thanks in advance all, any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• The Roubaix is an excellent bike. Along similar lines is the Trek Domane 4.5 (Ultegra) which you should be able to pick up for £2k.
  • Thanks for your reply- the guy in one of the shops suggested the Domane. Not that I know that much about it- but alot of the ones I looked at were 105s, so to get Ultegra would be pretty decent?
  • Thanks for your reply- the guy in one of the shops suggested the Domane. Not that I know that much about it- but alot of the ones I looked at were 105s, so to get Ultegra would be pretty decent?

I think for £2k you should probably be aiming for Ultegra sort of level.