9 Speed Campag Mirage Drivetrain

dav_safc
dav_safc Posts: 59
edited September 2013 in Workshop
Hoping someone can save me from this seriuosly irriatating clicking.
This has been troubling me for some months. I sequence, I have tried:
- new spd pedals (the old ones were goosed anyway)
- new bottom bracket (my first experience of changing but it seemed easy enough)
- new chain & cassette
- cleaned & greased jockey wheels

All to no avail. It is not the front changer, nor creaky bars or saddle.
The click does not seem to appear when you first start a ride but appears after say 5 miles.
The click gets worse as you apply more pressure to the pedals.
The click exists on all 3 of the chainrings.

Hope someone can save me the embarrassment of trip to LBS

Thanks, David

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Have a look at this link.

http://sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html
  • dav_safc
    dav_safc Posts: 59
    Thanks Owen. I will book mark this. Plus scan through the long post on scraping & whirring noises. David
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    One thing to try: Clean and grease the fulcrum on the wheel quick release levers - and make sure the wheels are seated properly.

I'm guessing it's a square-taper bottom bracket - so also make sure the cranks are tightened up properly.

I know you've said it happens on all chainrings. but make sure the chainring bolts are tight.

Finally, if that doesn't help - what is the click in sync with? Is it pedal rotation or wheel rotation? If it turns out to be wheel, ride with the brake calliper quick-releases open at the brake levers (on Campag) - in case it's flex, bearing wear or out-of-true rims causing the rim to catch somewhere?
  • I think the cause was a bit more basic. The 10 yr old steel frame has a big crack in head tube. I think this was the root. The creak appeared when you pedalled hard. So regardless of anything else I need to source a new frame.
    When the existing kit is transferred, if the creak is still there, I will be seriously vexed!
    David