BB, Crank and Pedal upgrade options for '05 GT Avalanche 3?

dazzer1975
dazzer1975 Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

So, I am about to embark on the 3rd stage of my weight loss plan and as a result I have dug out my practically unused 2004/2005? gt avalanche 3.0 from the shed and sent it off to be serviced and fettled after it's long neglected storage.

Knowing nothing about bikes, I have read around a bit (I didn't even know the names of parts) and decided that owing to my overweight status, my thinking is the Bottom Bracket, Crank and Pedals may prove to be the weak links over time.

What I have discovered is that the bb is a cartridge type (of what variant i am unsure), but apparently the park tools bbt-22 tool will fit it.

The Crank from what I can gather is a suntour xcc-100.

I am looking for something just a bit more robust, well, a lot more robust, metal crank arms? and pedals would inspire more confidence than the nylon jobs my bike currently sport.

I could ask the shop for options and opinions, and infact, probably will, but it never hurts to do your own research and see what options and prices are out there.

I think it might be a long shot with being such an old and cheap model, but someone may know something in relation to the above.

Anyway, TIA.

Daz

Comments

• stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Is this your bike?
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... h3mzmxwbIU

If you are just getting into biking and after something to keep fit, then I would not shell out on a new bottom bracket and crankset, your existing ones have no wear so should last you well and will be fine for now. If or when they wear replace them then.

The pedals are a different matter, well worth upgrading. Something like superstar (£40ish) or similar thin but wide platform pedals should work well, unless you want to try SPD's, in which case shimano pedals can be had for around £25-30. Cheap nylon pedals such as the stock ones you have can be useless (in my opinion), well worth changing, you will notice a big difference. Cheaper alternatives to the above can be found as well.

Good luck with the weight loss :D
  • Hi Mate,

Yes, that's the fella, really appreciate your time and advice. I just went to pick my bike up and had a quick ride, the first one in 8-ish years... I say quick, but was a full workout for me lol and wow, my bum knows about it too.

Anyway, the bike shop actually suggested the same thing, re keep the crank and bb and if anything get new pedals, but essentially said, have at it and do your worst, which was quite refreshing to hear from a retail outlet.

I think I will search out some pedals though, for those moments when i sort of stand up on the pedals I don't have the confidence I should have so something metal and more solid would definitely be worthwhile.

P.S. just as an aside, i was 37 stone, i am 28 now, so the bike is going to be punished pretty hard lmao I suppose I will get the pedals and see how I get on, can always get something nicer/better when I get down into the realms of normal human weight :oops: :|

p.p.s. if spd's are clip on type pedals (all new to me) where you literally clip your feet in, then no, I am way too clumsy to be permanently attached to the bike when the inevitable fall happens lol, well, at least for the time being.. if they are not, well I will google them anyway, I am interested in your first recommendation.

Again, many thanks for your help mate, it is appreciated. :wink: