Rear rack storage/carrying capacity for shopping

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

not sure where to put this really, as it's not a commuting question really, but I know you lot are very knowledgable!

I am awaiting delivery of the Kona Minute as referenced in the bargains thread:
2012-kona-minute.jpeg

Myself and my gf have a big Volvo which is converted to LPG, so it's fine on long runs, but what I want to do is to use this bike (We should both be able to ride it) to ferry the new littleun around, and also go to the market, get the weekly shopping in etc etc.

It comes with large panniers, and of course we will need to fit a rear cycle seat in the not too distant future, but I am interested in fitting some kind of rear box onto the rest of the rack, or deck as they like to call it.

I have one of these for my commuter bike:
m-wave-amsterdam-box-cargo-boxtopcase-black_8266_150.jpg
which is excellent, but not very large, and would not be big enough for what I am after.

In my mind I have something along the lines of a large plastic crate that I can bolt to the rear of the rack, and then probably use some bungee cords to hold a lid on to it, or it might come with a clip on lid, perhaps one of those big plastic storage boxes you get up at the retail park pound shop type places, and then mount it width ways potentially, on the rear of the rack behind the child seat, I could use some wood inside the box, and either bolt directly to the wooden rack, or just put another piece of wood underneath the rack and bolt between the two.

These are the kind of things I am thinking of:
J02240%20Grey%20Lid.jpg
J00680%20Blue.jpg
0225613_l.jpg

Has anyone done similar to this and possibly have recommendations for mounting systems, and or boxes to use for the carrying of shopping etc etc?

I don't need anything too flash, and it doesn't need to be majorly watertight I guess I can easily drill holes in the bottom for drainage, but I think a lid would be handy - one of the ones where the lid is permanent, and just opens either way looks useful, as I would only need a small bungee cord to hold that on whilst riding.
No need for security when parked up, as I would just leave it empty, and people are welcome to open it up to have a look, as long as it is fairly well bolted on, I can't imagine anyone would overly be bothered to try and nick it - I expect they will be after the bike more than a box :?

Many thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Sounds like a lot of weight to be loading the back wheel with! Not thought about sticking some panniers on the front too, to try and even out the load a bit?
    The idea sounds great and i'm sure it would work, though it would be very hard work pedaling a weeks worth of shopping home as well as a child i can imagine. There aren't any sizeable hills to contend with i am assuming? :lol:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • daniel_b
    Hadn't considered the amount of weight I must be honest, although I thought as it was classed as a Cargo/Utility bike it would be designed with that in mind, ie lugging lost of weight on the back, hence the reason for the long load bay?

There are potentially hills (Depending on where we choose to shop) for one of the supermarkets, but they would be downhill on the way home, so the right way I guess!

Had not considered front panniers - not a bad call actually, as if I can get some to fit, I have 4 Ortlieb panniers (Back roller classics) sat around kicking their heels.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I can't see how you'd get a box of those sizes behind a child seat. The weight of the box is going to be behind the backaxle as well, which isn't going to be good for stability.

Most rack/child seat arrangements claim to be good up to 22 kgs, I assume the bike can take it. A typical five year old will weigh 20 kgs.

You may need to consider a luggage trailer eg http://www.burley.com/home/bur/page_454 ... tmsup.html

You also need to be confident the bike will take all the weight. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, and you've already considered the issues.
  • daniel_b
    mrfpb wrote:
    I can't see how you'd get a box of those sizes behind a child seat. The weight of the box is going to be behind the backaxle as well, which isn't going to be good for stability.

Most rack/child seat arrangements claim to be good up to 22 kgs, I assume the bike can take it. A typical five year old will weigh 20 kgs.

You may need to consider a luggage trailer eg http://www.burley.com/home/bur/page_454 ... tmsup.html

You also need to be confident the bike will take all the weight. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, and you've already considered the issues.

Agreed that the boxes I have pictured would be too large - once I have a seat fitted I can suss out how much space is available.
    All I can see with regards to the bike is that it has a "300lb carrying capacity" not sure how that equates for the rear rack.
    I'm fairly sure the biek can take it - the size of the tubing for the rear rack is 20mm, so it's way beyond what you would find on a normal rack, and of course it is a structual part of the bike as opposed to a bolt on rack, which I am guessing (Yes I have no proof) will give it a lot more strength.

The top box idea is more than likely to be for the more bulky items, such as toilet rolls, which would be fairly light, but enormous.
    Supermarket places, Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Aldi and Lidl are all within about 1.5 miles away, but clearly too far to walk with a weeks worth of shopping, and going on a bike is so much more fun as well - especially with a nipper in tow.
    Tesco is more like 3 miles away, and up the big hill on the way there, but this bike has LOW gearing.

Another option will be to carry out the shop with this bike, and another of our bikes with the Ortlieb panniers on, that could well be an option, and the back box idea may be completely surplus to requirements.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I regularly carry oversized loads on my rear rack. Lightweight loads such as bulk toilet paper don't need any extra support. Lash them down with some chord. I prefer non-elastic 4-5mm , ie thicker than parachord. Elastic shockchord will allow the load to sway.
    Heavier large loads such as cement and plaster need some stabilisation which I provide by fixing a short 40cm plank of plywood across the rear rack. Since this is a temp attachment I just use a few twists of wire through some holes drilled in the plank.

Folding boxes are good if you want to carry the box permanently but use occasionally. You can buy them but they are not very good. A few bits of corrugated plastic (For sale signs) and some zipties should do the job.
    On my flatbed trailer I use a glass recyling green bin.
  • Those crates are not what you'd call a thing of beauty, and I suspect a loaded crate would not enhance the handling even on a cargo bike.

If it was me I'd consider:

- panniers (front & rear)
    - trailer
    - having my shopping delivered
    - using the Volvo for the 'big shop'
    - a disguise

before fitting such a crate.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    A trailers a good idea.

Mind you, having said that, I went on a touring holiday to Scotland earlier this year and bumped into a couple of blokes who were doing likewise, but who'd been on the road for several weeks and planned several more. Apart from all of the usual bike loading solutions (racks, panniers, tent/sleeping bags wrapped in bin liners and strapped to the top etc) they each had a plastic crate strapped to the front of their bikes with old inner tubes and filled with things like bottles/tins etc. It wasn't elegant, but it did the job. You might want to try popping over to the 'Road/Tour' thread and posting a similar question there - some of those guys really know how to load up a bike.
  • daniel_b
    The thing that puts me off the trailer, aside from the cost, is the additional length (On an already long bike) - and parking the lot at a shop, and keeping it all at home.

Having said that I have no idea how easy they are to clip on or off the bike, so if it is super easy then maybe it is a viable alternative.

I'm really not bothered at all about the looks, lets be honest it's not a 'pretty' looking bike, and it's there to fulfill a role as a load lugger, so that's neither here nor there with me personally, plus if it does look utilitarian, and more ugly, then hopefully it will not look as attractive to thieving scumbags.

I'll have to see what I can get in the panniers first of all, it may be that I can get what is needed in them, and there is no need for an extra box, but I am fairly sure the time will happen when it would be useful, and I don't really want to go the rucksack route.

I also appreciate that it would be easy enough to lash something to the top - but my thinking is that a box of some sort will give me more flexibility, and lets be honest, when it's empty, it's not exactly going to add much weight, OR be a drag factor if I'm on the bike as is a childs seat.

Thanks for the tip, I will whack a post on tuther forum :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    One thing. If you go down the DIY route and get a storage box to convert, they don't always take kindly to being drilled and tend to split.
    What about a trip to a motorcycle shop (One that sells a lot of mopeds) and see if they have any small "Top Boxes", they usually come with an assortment of fittings.
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    Graham. wrote:
    One thing. If you go down the DIY route and get a storage box to convert, they don't always take kindly to being drilled and tend to split.

Depends what it's made of, but yeah this is a definite problem.

If it's cloudy transparent, then it's most likely PE5 which I know can be drilled quite easily, as can the plastic used in garden chairs and wheelie bins, but most others are damn near impossible to distinguish and could just shatter.

You could always use heat to literally melt the holes you require by getting a metal object really hot (150c+) and pushing holes into the box, I did this with soldering iron once (which I don't recommend trying :p ), a mask would be a very good idea though, as the fumes are toxic and cause irritation to breathing.

Also if you fit a box, you'll need partitions to stop stuff rolling about and trying to tip the bike, imagine riding along, turning a corner and suddenly finding the bike increases in weight as the cargo slides to the inside.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Dan,
    Before you acquire all the modifying kit, have you had shipping confirmation from CRC on your MinUte? I've read on another forum that at least one was cancelled by the supplier.
    On the basis that it's on its way - UteMod.
  • daniel_b
    DrLex wrote:
    Dan,
    Before you acquire all the modifying kit, have you had shipping confirmation from CRC on your MinUte? I've read on another forum that at least one was cancelled by the supplier.
    On the basis that it's on its way - UteMod.

Hi Dr Lex,

I have not no, but I did e-mail them yesterday, and had a reply today, which said the bikes had to be inspected before despatch, and if I e-mailed tomorrow they should have some news for me, I certainly hope it is good news - it's still showing as 5+ in stock on the site......

Thanks for that link!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Have you considered whether any of your local supermarkets do Home Delivery? This might be a better option for larger amounts of shopping.

Putting a huge plastic box on top of your bike's rear rack will raise the centre of gravity considerably which when the box is full with heavy stuff will make your bike very difficult to control and potentially dangerous. You are better off using your existing set of Ortlieb panniers.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.