rockshox sid 120 rlt service.

coulddobetter
coulddobetter Posts: 812
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Simple question . The forks are functioning well but wondering about doing a lower leg service ( have all the info I need from sram site plus the tools ) . How often would you suggest doing this and would it be better to to do a full strip and seal change using the tf tuned diy kit .

Obviously if I followed the sram service schedule I would be doing them once a week :o

Comments

• hi
    I do my sids once a year full stripdown and change oil and all seals, just change dust seals in between this service :D
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Cheers for that .think I can afford to wait a bit then .
  • hi
    I do my sids once a year full stripdown and change oil and all seals, just change dust seals in between this service :D

is it really necessary? i've got some 2013 SID 120 RCT3's and dont fancy serving them myself.....

Dan
  • Dan .
    Sending them away will cost a significant sum . The lower leg service is really straightforward. I cleaned and lubed mine and couldn't believe the amount of crud on the wiper foam rings . A few mls of suspension fluid and a clean and they are a lot smmoother . Sram website has full instructions in pdf and video . You only need a couple of allen keys a soft hammer a 10ml socket and a drop of suspension fluid .

Worth noting that suspension oil is damned expensive at bike shops I picked up some up at a motorcycle dealer £ 3.90 for 500 ml .
  • Dan .
    Sending them away will cost a significant sum . The lower leg service is really straightforward. I cleaned and lubed mine and couldn't believe the amount of crud on the wiper foam rings . A few mls of suspension fluid and a clean and they are a lot smmoother . Sram website has full instructions in pdf and video . You only need a couple of allen keys a soft hammer a 10ml socket and a drop of suspension fluid .

Worth noting that suspension oil is damned expensive at bike shops I picked up some up at a motorcycle dealer £ 3.90 for 500 ml .

Hi,

I've had the lower legs off a few pairs of coil forks with no problem but was a bit more dubious with the SID's because of any subsequent pressure leaks?

I was most concerned about servicing the damper myself and the kind of interval before I'd have to look at getting it done.

Dan
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you have serviced a coil fork then doing an air fork isnt much more difficult you just need to be extra careful when refitting the lowers to make sure you dont damage any of the seals.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap