Toe clips for urban commuting - good or bad?

sandhun
sandhun Posts: 24
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
Hi folks, I recently switched from a Hybrid to a Road bike for my urban commute.

However, I'm not sure whether or not to get rid of the toe clips? I cycle in some bulky Shimano shoes which I paid a lot of money for - they were ideal for the Hybrid but I'm wondering if they might be the wrong choice for a road bike with toe clips.

I'm getting used to the toe clips (they do feel comfortable) but it can be a hassle getting into them at times - particularly since my journey can be stop / start.

What would you experienced commuters do in this instance?

A) Soldier on
B) Replace the shoes (currently the least favourable option)
C) Remove the toe clips

Thanks

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    The right answer is whatever you feel most comfortable with and only you can tell. Not a particularly helpful answer but probably correct.

If you want to know what most people who commute on a road bike do I would suggest that they use some form of clipless pedal (i.e. you clip in and out a bit like a ski binding). I hope I am not teaching you to suck eggs here!

If you buy these though you will need new pedals and new shoes, not to mention a short period of getting used to them . I will bet that if you persevere with your commute you will end up down this route in 6-9 months. In the meantime, do what is most comfortable.
  • What suits you best. A lot of people like toe-clips and get on with them just fine and like being able to use normal shoes.

Other than that, the only things I'd say are:

- As above, if you go the clipless route you'll need to also buy shoes, so this cost needs to be taken into account

- Of the various types of clipless, spds are probably the best for commuting in that you can use MTB shoes you can actually walk in. Road shoes are all but useless beyond a few paces - you'll probably fall over and, if not, will damage the cleats. Good for racing, not good for the real world

Personally, I use spds on all my bikes.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Given the above choices I would just keep the toe clips, Anything that allows you to pull up as well as push down will make you faster and your ride easier.

However going forwards I would echo the above and go for some clip in pedals. I use Shimano SPD as they offer clip in on both sides of the pedal making them ideal for commuting, plus they are fit and forget so no ongoing care required.

If your current shoes do not have the 2 hole slots for SPD cleats then you can get a decent pair of shoes for about £40.

They will transform your ride, I used toe clips for years but after 1 ride of SPD's I would never go back.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Personally I wouldn't touch toeclips ever again, especially not in an urban/commute environment. Clipless are far better and easier to get in and out of. Flipping up a clipped pedal and then fastening the strap every time you move away from lights would be too much hassle, sticking your foot onto an SPD and clipping in takes a matter of moments. Also I read somewhere that in the even of an accident, clipless are safer because your foot simply comes unclipped in an impact whereas if your foot is tightened into a toeclip, it won't come out and your foot and ankle will be twisted about with the bike as you go down...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Im my toeclips, whenever i have taken a slide, on or off road, my feet can be off the pedals and hit the ground before any other part of me, usually preventing a total slide. Ive never had a "toeclip moment" similar to a 'clipless moment"
    Dont cinch the strap tight.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I ride in very stop start london. I wouldn't use toe clips. If you aren't stopping too much soldier on. If you are then make a change!

You have some shimano shoes - do they have the fitting in the sole to take SPD cleats? If so just buy some SPD pedals.

Otherwise look into the SPD shoes from Lidl. A tenner and actually pretty good (I use them)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    MichaelW wrote:
    Im my toeclips, whenever i have taken a slide, on or off road, my feet can be off the pedals and hit the ground before any other part of me, usually preventing a total slide. Ive never had a "toeclip moment" similar to a 'clipless moment"
    Dont cinch the strap tight.
    But if you don't tighten the strap there doesn't seem much point in having them at all!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bucklb
    bucklb Posts: 296
    Toe clips do make sure your foot stays in the right position on the pedal (and won't slip off when it gets wet).

You do do get some added advantage on the upstroke as long as they're not totally loose too
  • I ran toe clips for about two months and then went to SPDs after that. My main issue with toe clips was I had to occasionally look down at the pedal to put my foot in and that can be dangerous if you are negotiating a busy junction. You don't have to really look with SPDs, you just slot your foot onto the pedal.

I never really found them that comfortable either.

I would never ride my bike with out my SDP/SLs now.
    2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX