TRP HY/RD

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Finally arrived today

9606842651_296e6318d0_z_d.jpg

Very easy to fit and adjust. A slight issue with the Volagi is that, with an internal cable run at the front, an adjuster that works on the outer cable, isn't really going to work because the outer run is so very short and is therefore very stiff. That said, I didn't need to use it and, if push came to shove, I could fit an in-line adjuster in the first cable run.

They seemed to work fine. I've not done a bedding in run but even on first application they're as good as the rim brakes on my Foil. Will report back when I've actually done a ride on them.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Seriously considering these. After all they're only £30 more than the Spyres.

What did you have before?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • meanredspider
    BB7

In fact I've left the BB7 on the back whilst I suss out the HYRD. I have another option which is to go to Shimano Di2 hydraulics when they come out. If the HYRD works out, I probably won't bother with the full hydraulic.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Well, I've got the Shimano BR-R515 http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/shimano-disc-brake-recall-issued-38222/
    Quite happy with them. Might be popping into Evans tomorrow to see how the recall works.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Well, I've got the Shimano BR-R515 http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/shimano-disc-brake-recall-issued-38222/
    Quite happy with them. Might be popping into Evans tomorrow to see how the recall works.
    I like the diagram on that page that shows you where to find the brakes...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    TGOTB wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I like the diagram on that page that shows you where to find the brakes...

Me too,

Ordered a pair of BB7's.

515's are made of cheese
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • So how are you finding them?
    running bb7's at the mo, just want to make sure they're worth the money
    Where did you buy them?
    havent seen any uk sellers with them yet
  • meanredspider
    So how are you finding them?
    running bb7's at the mo, just want to make sure they're worth the money
    Where did you buy them?
    havent seen any uk sellers with them yet

I'm slightly ashamed to say I've not tested them properly yet. With the brand new Scott Foil sat next to the V in the garage and the weather being nice 'n' all....

I ordered them through my LBS. They're a right pain to get hold of right now. Anyhow, go here

http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... Disc/HY-RD

That's the UK distributor and there's a list of LBS's on there
  • Test rode the brakes properly today after bedding them in. Very pleased - downhill, I can stand the Volagi on its front wheel almost at will. Does rather make the rear brake redundant.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    A noticeable step up from the BB7s?
  • pdw wrote:
    A noticeable step up from the BB7s?

Definitely. I was a bit surprised by that. The main advantage I was hoping for was the elimination of adjustment - the additional power I wasn't expecting.
  • This means ill have to upgrade my 2013 Equilibrium to the 2014 Equilibrium Disc then!
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Damn. I was hoping I couldn't be tempted :D

Do they retract away from the disc enough that they don't rub at all?
  • Ha I'm sold then!
  • Ha I'm sold then!

Just need to find a UK stockist with the black versions then!
  • pdw wrote:
    Damn. I was hoping I couldn't be tempted :D

Do they retract away from the disc enough that they don't rub at all?

They seem to - it's incredibly windy up here today (Kessock Bridge closed to high-sided vehicles) so I'm not sure I'd hear very subtle rubbing.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I need to get the Comtat sold so that I can get a pair of these. I'm fed up with the BB7s, especially on the front.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I need to get the Comtat sold so that I can get a pair of these. I'm fed up with the BB7s, especially on the front.

That is surprising.

I Have justed fitted some bb7's to the focus and OMG, they are so good compared to shimano's offerings.

But anyhow - the focus is going and I may well get the Hy/rd on the new bike.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Don't get me wrong, the BB7's are great and make my more normal road brakes look pap, but its the noise that winds me up. The front brake is really "squeally", though it does go away after a while. Right up to when I wind the pads in a little, which seems to set it off again.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I'm happy with the BB7s I've got. Although I must confess I am considering these to spunk some of my Evans vouchers on. Then I could upgrade my son's frankenbike to BB7s from the V brakes. I should probably wait and see what else come up over the next few years.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Just fitted/tried the Spyres; they seem to be pretty good too. No independent pad adjustment that I could find, but with the double piston that's probably not necessary anyway. Still bedding in, but they're certainly no less powerful than BB7s.
    Pannier, 120rpm.