Road, CX or Hybrid

terryhughes
terryhughes Posts: 62
edited December 2016 in Road general
I've done over 1000 miles on my MTB since Feb and the cycle to work scheme is back this feb so I want to get something more suited to the road.

I don't really like the idea of drop bars but I haven't ridden a bike that fits me to give them a fair chance. I like the sit up position and comfort of a MTB but really want something quicker I can get more miles out of. Can you give me your views on Cycle Cross and road bikes please? Would I get the same speed etc from a CX as I would with a road bike?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    If you don't like the idea of drop bars then forget CX and road bikes and go for a hybrid :) but to answer your question it depends on your choice of bike whether it be CX or road as to which would be fastest for you, generally road bikes are usually lighter than CX bikes so in essence faster. Remember though it's all about your fitness as to speeds etc, it's the legs and lungs that do the work.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I would go for the CX if you can get over your dislike of drops. You will get used to them and the position itself is far faster than being upright on a Hybrid.

A CX is 99.9% as fast as a road bike in my experience with decent tyres on.
  • Drop bars are far better than flat bars. It took me a while to get used to them but I wouldn't switch back. Flat bars look weird and wrong to me now.
  • Once you have got used to drop bars it is very likely that you will prefer them over straight bars. It's not just about being faster, the variety of positions they allow makes riding much less fatiguing on the arms and hands.

If you do go for drops make sure you relax your arms and ride with your elbows flexed. Nothing looks worse than riding drops with locked out elbows.
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    Didn't the Tricross Disc edition from Specialized have the secondary brake levers on the top of the bars, not sure how good they are.

Brings back memories of GT levers on my old Raleigh...

CX would be my choice, great every day bikes. Don't scream 'steal me' either as much as a fancy pants racer...
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    A hybrid tends to be a heavier compromise that isn't good on road or off. CX bike is the most practical (make sure you choose one with guard mounts if you want to use all year).
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Don't get a hybrid they are just the bike companies and bike shops way of maybe flogging another bike when a novice tries one and quite likes cycling. I think you are past that stage!
    A good lbs will let you try a bike for 10-15 mins round the block/local area, so you can get an idea of whether drops are for you. Evans let you return a new bike up to a month after purchase if you don't like it - check their ts and cs. There are other sites like this too.
    The beauty of drops is you can move around on the bike; I have both road and mtb and the benefits of being able to put your hands in about 6 different positions with drop bars can't be overstated.have to flog mny
    As to road vs cx. In my experience, I cycle with a group who all have road, cx and mtb; I just have road and mtb. When we go on specific cx routes, I use my mtb and have to thrash myself to keep up, especially after an hour or two. When we are all on road bikes, I don't have to try too hard, I am a lot fitter than them. There aren't that many routes where a cx is the best compromise, imho.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    hybrids are mostly the worse of all worlds. If you already have an MTB, the simple option is either try some slicks on it or perhaps even some narrow wheels and slicks or persist with the road bike.

It is weird switching to a race bike position to start, but something that takes no more than 3 or 4 rides to get used to. The advantage of a road bike for training and fitness, pace etc. is huge and not something that can be achieved on a compromise bike. With a road and MTB you really do have the right bike for the right job every time.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I'd never ridden a bike with drop bars until last year. I owned a hybrid 30 years ago, and I'd borrowed another one from a friend which got me back into cycling.

Then I tested a few road bikes, and rode my new one for a month or so - and then returned the borrowed hybrid.

I could barely ride it back, the riding position was so uncomfortable. I'd never go back to straight bars now.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Touring bikes are road bikes with an upright sit position and drop handlebars. You don't *have* to be in a low slung aero-tuck while on drops.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Trouble with hybrids is that it covers such a wide range. There are essentially 2 types:

1 A cheap, heavy mountain bike with poor front suspension, 29" wheels and slick (or semi slick) tyres
    2 A road bike with flat bars

There is a massive difference between the two. The criticism of hybrids is mainly levelled at the former, with little experience of the latter.

My Boardman Hybrid is most definately the latter - it is sooo much lighter and faster than my mountain bike and a more racy position. With bar ends, I have a multitude of hand positions - people always say that is one of the key advantages of drop bars, but I have that anyway. The only hand position I dont have is the much lower one that I wouldnt use anyway, and most road users use less than 10% of the time, riding on the hoods most of the time.

The thing I dont get is that with drop bars, the hand position for brake usage is optimised around the drops, which is where you spend least time. Most of the time you are on the hoods in a compromise position (albeit better levers do improve this). With my hybrid, the optimal hand position for the brakes is also the one I spend most time in.

I simply cannot understand the constant criticism of hybrids as the worst of both worlds, they are the best of both worlds to me. I just did an 106 mile ride on Sunday on mine and passed many a rider on drop bars and had no discomfort either during or after the ride other than a little stiffness in the knees on the following morning. Saw a fair few riders on road bikes (and non road bikes too) complaining of bad backs, aching arms etc.

I think what happens is that we all get defensive about the choices we have made and blinkered to other choices, plus there seems to be a snobbery and bias against hybrids which is unfounded and all I can think is that it is fed by peer pressure and following the crowd, absorbing the bias of others from threads like this one.

I would be quite keen to try a drop bar bike again, and have considered the Boardman CX bikes, but always come back to thinking 'why fix something that isnt broken?' I am happy with my hybrid and other than reading threads like this that make me wonder, have no compunction to change. In fact I am more likely to buy another Boardman Hybrid before they change the model to ensure that even if mine breaks or gets stolen etc, I will still be able to ride what I have now - thats how much I love it...
  • apreading wrote:
    The thing I dont get is that with drop bars, the hand position for brake usage is optimised around the drops, which is where you spend least time. Most of the time you are on the hoods in a compromise position (albeit better levers do improve this). With my hybrid, the optimal hand position for the brakes is also the one I spend most time in.

It's not about where you spend most time. It's because when you are descending you want to be in the drops, and descending is when you need your brakes.

In any case, as you rightly point out, you don't really have a hybrid, you have a flat bar road bike, which is different.
  • cougie
    If you need to be doing a lot of braking or the surface is rough - then you'd be on the drops anyway.

If you are just rolling along - then you can brake almost as well from the hoods.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,583
    But in the real world riding through town etc., you're often riding on the hoods when some numpty walks off the kerb in front of you and you need to be able to stop fast. I find the lack of braking power available on the hoods (especially in the wet) to be my main complaint about the road bike.

I bought a road bike in April - I got a good deal second hand but if I'd been buying new I think I'd have gone for a CX bike with discs and then stuck slick tyres on it.
    For commuting (and probably all riding), the additional weight is not going to make a significant difference over a road bike but the comfort of bigger tyres and the consistent braking of the discs would be a big benefit to me.

Having ridden mountain bikes for 17 years I thought the drop bars would be an issue and considered getting some of those top bar brake levers (like mountain bike levers) - as it turns out I pretty much never ride on the flat central bit of bars and got used to riding the hoods & drops very quickly.
  • cougie
    If you're in a situation like that - then maybe you should be on the drops ?
    Road bikes are designed for fast rides and long distances. Commuting through busy towns might not be their best environment.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,583
    Riding the drops in town reduces your view ahead quite a bit though, I ride in the drops a fair bit in town but there are times when I want to be a bit more upright.

I think you're making the same point as I am - disc equiped CX bikes are better for town commuting.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    cougie wrote:
    Road bikes are designed for fast rides and long distances. Commuting through busy towns might not be their best environment.

So shouldnt the first response to the OP be to ask what he wants to use the bike for, as if he wants to commute or ride in traffic or towns all the advice here is incorrect?
  • I have a road bike because I do the vast majority of my riding on country roads, which is ideal.

If I was commuting from the suburbs to the city centre in heavy traffic with lots of junctions then I'd probably be wanting a flat bar bike of some description.
  • cougie
    apreading wrote:
    cougie wrote:

So shouldnt the first response to the OP be to ask what he wants to use the bike for, as if he wants to commute or ride in traffic or towns all the advice here is incorrect?

Good point - I've assumed as this is in Road General - its for a general road bike. If it was in Commuting I'm sure he'd have got different answers. OP - what kind of riding are you doing ?
  • apreading's description of hybrid's is quite fair and you may get a more favourable opinion on the commuting forum than you would on the road general forum.

There are many types of road bikes too e.g. racing, credit card touring, world touring, CX, audax, sportive, etc. but everyone thinks if a bike has drops it must be a racer.

The op didn't even ask a question about hybrid's but lots of people need to argue against them, as I said it is the forum.

Flat barred road bikes (aka hybrid's) can be very useful if you would like to have a rack and full mudguards along with a heads up riding position for in traffic. Or if you own a road bike they appear to be an invention of the devil sent to taunt us as we ride our "real" bikes. :)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    apreading's description of hybrid's is quite fair and you may get a more favourable opinion on the commuting forum than you would on the road general forum.

There are many types of road bikes too e.g. racing, credit card touring, world touring, CX, audax, sportive, etc. but everyone thinks if a bike has drops it must be a racer.

The op didn't even ask a question about hybrid's but lots of people need to argue against them, as I said it is the forum.

Flat barred road bikes (aka hybrid's) can be very useful if you would like to have a rack and full mudguards along with a heads up riding position for in traffic. Or if you own a road bike they appear to be an invention of the devil sent to taunt us as we ride our "real" bikes. :)

But he did say he was not sure about drop bars so a hybrid would suit. IMO hybrid bikes are fine and I do not consider them inferior in any way. Horses for courses etc :)
  • A quality hybrid like Boardman Hybrid team won't break the bank and is seriously fast straight off the shelf.

Add some bar ends, and you get the low riding position for speed, and a lot of leverage for up hill, and good control off road with the straight bar brake and gear lever position.
    Stick on some quality cyclocross tyres like Conti cyclocross speed and you have a very fast bike for road and light off road, all for under £700.00.

Don't worry about very expensive light weight bikes, the Boardman Team weighs 10.5 kg. Thats light enough for most riding at speed.
    Loose 3 kg around the tummy like i have in the last 3 weeks, and thats the same as riding a 7kg bike :wink:

More important are lighter tyres. 500gms per tyre of spinning mass is going to effect efficiency way more than 2kg on the frame. Quality light tyres for price/performance boost is a great option.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Not an easy one to answer if your considering various types of bikes. The OP is considering a new bike for road use. I'd say then get a road bike. I have 3 bikes they span from low to mid range models. MTB a roadbike and a flat bar hybrid. The hybrid which is a lower price range actually comes I to its own as by far the most versatile of the 3 bikes. I solely use the MTB and road bikes for their intended purposes. The hybrid is a commuter, tourer, hidious/wet weather training bike, shopper errand bike and ride with family bike etc. I have even done a novice cat CX race on it. Hybrids are great all rounders but for the road get a road bike. If you opt for the CX you may end up thinking how much faster you may have been on a road bike?
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cougie wrote:
    I would go for the CX if you can get over your dislike of drops. You will get used to them and the position itself is far faster than being upright on a Hybrid.

A CX is 99.9% as fast as a road bike in my experience with decent tyres on.

What poor advice that is!

The OP has not said one thing that indicates a CX bike would be of any use, and 99.9% as fast is a complete joke as you are just generalising on bike types and not even talking about two specific bikes.

If there is no difference between a bad CX and a good road bike then lord help us!
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    My best mate and I are both long time MTBers with interest in getting fitter and seeing more places by bike, for enduro rides. As much as we love MTB riding a bike with Maxxis Minions on the road hoping for a dirt trail is as much an exercise in bicycle torture as riding a folding bike unless you really need to get on a train. He's into the idea of bigger faster wheels with higher pressure tires, but can't get over his irrational fear of drop bars.

Man the f**k up. Learn to ride road clip-less and drop bars. If you can hit drops, jumps and berms in dirt them you certainly have the ability to lean how to use a different bar shape.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've done over 1000 miles on my MTB since Feb and the cycle to work scheme is back this feb so I want to get something more suited to the road.

I don't really like the idea of drop bars but I haven't ridden a bike that fits me to give them a fair chance. I like the sit up position and comfort of a MTB but really want something quicker I can get more miles out of. Can you give me your views on Cycle Cross and road bikes please? Would I get the same speed etc from a CX as I would with a road bike?

You might want to expand a little on your cycle to work + other rides. Is it all road, shared paths, trails, etc.

This sprang to mind but depends on the answer to the above.
    https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/bikes/son ... 1-flat-bar

I'd personally like a Cotic Roadrat for pushing along the commute + taking on some light trails.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I think the OP may have already made his decision on this one seeing as this thread is from over 3 years ago.