Garmin Edge 810: Are the free maps as good as paid for ones?

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 737
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I want to buy a garmin edge 810 for the mapping features as much as for heart rate, cadence, etc. For trail riding is there any point in buying the paid for maps? Are the free ones (open street map for example) just as good? If I should buy a map which one do you recommend?
Cheers,
Dub

p.s. I will ask this same thing in the roadie forum as i figure the answer may be different for road maps vs trail maps - but do feel free to comment on both in here
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• croptonboy
    croptonboy Posts: 164
    I use these maps and just download various routes:
    http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

Used them for walking/hiking and have now started using them for MTBing, although the screen on my Dakota isn't the greatest when out on the bike
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I have an Edge 800 which I bought for navigation above the other functions and I chose the bundle with the UK Ordnance Survey maps because I was already very familiar with them. I haven't regretted the extra expense, although buying in a bundle is a fair bit cheaper than adding them later.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The TalkyToaster, OS style maps are BETTER - and BY A LONG WAY. Havent used my Ordnance Survey maps since I discovered them. Much more detail and work better both on and off road. I still like having the proper Ordnance Survey maps on the card as a backup and in case a rural trail wasnt marked but have yet to find the need...

The only thing the garmin (road) maps do better (apparently - havent tried it) is full postcode navigation, but when I am out on the bike it is always on a pre-planned route if I need navigation. I have never been out and suddenly decided to go to a postcode without looking on a map. Do it all the time in the car but bike rides are better planned and not usually about getting to a location I dont know or have checked out before.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito