Advice on jacket that packs away small

BowtomePhil
BowtomePhil Posts: 198
edited September 2013 in Road general
Hi, I am after a decent, not greater than £100 jacket that packs away small and is waterproof and breathable.

I have been searching the web, but prefer advice from people who actually wear them.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    You'll find there is no definitive piece of advice on the "best" jacket. Nothing on the market will fully meet your requirements as even the most breathable membranes will cause you to sweat when cycling hard meaning you will get wet inside out.

To get the best advice you will need to think about your needs - windproof vs materproof vs weight vs packability vs cost vs type of cycling vs time of year it will be used and even then you will be conflicting suggestions.

Sometimes it is better to accept getting (very) wet but keeping warm in which case, perhaps, you don't need waterprrof but if this is for commuting then getting very wet may not be an option.....
  • ahhh, the Holy Grail..... ;-)

Unfortunately a sacrifice will probably be needed one way or another. Breathable but not totally waterproof. Breathable and waterproof but expensive. etc etc

I use a Castelli Sottile, which for the money isn't bad, but I still sweat in it.
    The Sportful Hot Pack 4 gets good reviews, so may be worth a try.
    However, the best jackets tend to be the Goretex type jackets, but they are another £50+
  • Castelli Leggero
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    PBK are doing some deals on the Sportful Hot Pack No-Rain jacket

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clot ... 45862.html

£66. I bought one and used it once so far, and din't get too hot on the commute home, which isn't bad considering it was > 20 degrees. And p*ssing it down.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aldi rainjacket. Less than £20. It sits in the backpocket for 90% of rides anyway.
  • Thanks all
  • d87francis
    d87francis Posts: 136
    I have a couple of Giordana ones now and would thoroughly recommend them. One they don't make any more but the other is a carbon something and is light, windproof, waterproof and reasonably breathable. They have also both been fantastic fits.
  • I think Rapha have their Rain Jacket in the sale again; £190 down to £110. Mine's been almost flawless - whenever I take it with me it almost never rains.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    My pearl izumi pro is pretty much unbeatable on being lightweight and packing away small - it rolls up to pretty much a fat cuban cigar size.

Its good enough to turn a reasonable shower and breathability is OK.. As a stick it in your bag / pocket / saddle pouch in the summer its great for the money - £45 on evans website
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Mine's been almost flawless - whenever I take it with me it almost never rains.
    :lol: very good point

I've tried a couple of pack away jackets (I ride in Northumberland/Tynedale and it showers quite a lot) and the best I've tried for at least having some breathability is the Montane Velo H20. I think it was about £40 at Evans.
  • foggybike
    foggybike Posts: 160
    Castelli Leggero

+1 for this:

http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/outdo ... acket.html

If you can find one.
  • VeloPeo
    VeloPeo Posts: 23
    The only thing I now use in bad weather is a short sleeve Castelli Gabba and the Nanoflex arm/leg/knee warmers where needed. Fabulous kit. I've found it good between -5 to 20C depending on the base layer you put under it. Did over 200 miles using it in shite weather on a 24hr ride Saturday into Sunday
  • Never really bothered with water proof .... you get wet anyway. What is important for me is windproof, the chill factor of the wind is a killer, but remove that and I dry myself out through hard work. So if it is a warm wet day a gillet, if not I have an old Endura top with wind proofing on the front of the arms and chest.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Rapha have an additional 10% off this week in the sale.
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    I have this. Longish and packs up nicely to fit in my back pockets. Material makes it very warm but does the job.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-squadr ... of-jacket/
  • I have the Sportful Hotpocket. Pretty reasonably priced and has done the job whenever it's been called into action, fits into a jersey pocket in its handy bag etc
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got a Gore Path jacket a couple of years ago when Wiggle were doing them for just over £70 in the sale. The Paclite material is 100% waterproof and pretty breathable. Bit of a challenge fitting it in a jersey pocket though.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    I have this one

http://shop.pactimo.co.uk/ultra-lite-cl ... iW4CMsaySM

Packs away nicely into a jersey pocket and really good when worn,
  • speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    Try ENDURA PAKAJAK - Around £40
  • I have the Altura pocket rocket, its small and stops the wind and the rain spot on, i would recommend
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    +1 for the Pocket Rocket...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...