Looking to buy a bike £400 - £900, which one?

AWMedia
AWMedia Posts: 7
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm keen to buy myself a new bike and start riding more leisurely.

I'm keen to do some charity bike rides and just see more of the country.

I guess I'd like to ride both on and off-road and I'd just like to have a bike which won't require too much maintenance and will last me at least 5 years.

My budget is around £400 - £900

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated, thank you.

Alex

P.S. Any other advice for what gear to get would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• croptonboy
    croptonboy Posts: 164
    Have you seen the sticky at the top of this forum?

The Rockrider 8.1 certainly fits the bill, is at the lower end of your budget and spec wise, will be comparable to bikes at the top end of your budget.

There's a current thread discussing them here:
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12938360

I went to have a look at one myself Sunday and was seriously tempted, and had I not just won a Cube Acid for a good price on eBay, would probably have bought one.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    That's a big price bracket, stretching from some decent stuff at the £400 end to some fairly well specced stuff at the £900 end. Everything will require maintenance though, no matter how much you spend. What sort of routes and terrain are you planning on riding?
  • AWMedia
    AWMedia Posts: 7
    I live near to Epping Forest so planning on going into there but also keen to do some road, cycle path charity routes, so I guess I'll need a crossbike? Is that what it's called?
  • Cross country mountain bike . Then get some road tyres for the charity rides .
  • croptonboy
    croptonboy Posts: 164
    Well, the review on here of the 8.1 states
    Old-school XC ride
    so sounds ideal, and you'd get plenty of change from your £900 for a fair selection of tyres :)