new gear shifters

lutyens
lutyens Posts: 6
edited August 2013 in MTB general
The time has come to change the gear shifters on my old hard tails. They are 7 speed shifters and have served me very well for the past 20 odd years. However I need to change the chain and cassette and the shifters are beginning to fail too. On a quick inspection of the usual suppliers, they don't seem to make 7 speed shifters any longer and I suspect that if I do find them, they may not be made for much longer! So if i buy some new ones do I go for 9 or 10 speed shifters? I don't need 10 speed ones but they may 'last' longer!

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Unfortunately the swap from seven-speed to eight-, nine- or ten-speed is usually from a threaded on freewheel to a freehub, which means a new wheel as well, and possibly a new derailleur.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Plenty of seven speed shifters out there from SRAM and Shimano, look for Sram SX3 or shimano altus
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    depends if the rear wheel will take a 9 or 10 speed cassette as you might as well upgrade to more gears.

maybe time for a new bike ?
  • lutyens
    lutyens Posts: 6
    Thanks for the comments.
    I hadn't thought about the rear wheel. Good point! I will check and am happy to have a new wheel. I am sure Mr Rowland can do that for me. I suppose then it doesn't matter whether I go for 9 or 10 speed.

And I love the bikes. I like that they are still hard tail etc.

Thanks again.