Reverb Dropper Post for Giant Trance X4 2012

worb68
worb68 Posts: 75
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone tell me what size reverb I need for my trance as there seem to be a few on length and frame size? Also where is the best place to get one of these?

Thanks.

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    merlin is good if they have them in, I believe the seatpost diameter is 30.9 not sure on length though.
  • worb68
    worb68 Posts: 75
    Thanks, might have to confirm with giant possibly. Also the button is it best on top or below on handlebars. Heard some people complain not fully working when underneath but not sure.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    30.9mm
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You need 30.9mm. Check the length though, the Trance has a bent seat tube so there is a limit to how much seat tube you can get in the frame.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Probably worth removing your current seat post and measuring it to give you a decent idea of length.
  • Hi I have the same bike and am also looking to buy a reverb.
    Would be interested to know how you got on. What did you opt for eventually size wise.
    The insertion capability of the frame seems limited. I calculate there is only 230mm of insertion length for a seat post. As the smallest reverb is 355mm this means that the lowest possible height of the seat, measuring from the saddle rail to the base of the reverb collar is 125mm or approx 4.7 inches, which seems quite high to me. I would like to be able to drop the saddle to the top of the collar but don't think it's possible on the trance. I would appreciate your help on this if possible.

:)
  • I have a medium 2011 Trance X3 (same frame as yours I believe) and fitted a Reverb, 30.9, 125mm drop, 380mm length.
    The original giant connect seatpost was 350mm so there should be no issues. I sit quite high and it is nowhere near the minimum insertion mark.
    Hope this helps.
  • simonkelly wrote:
    Hi I have the same bike and am also looking to buy a reverb.
    Would be interested to know how you got on. What did you opt for eventually size wise.
    The insertion capability of the frame seems limited. I calculate there is only 230mm of insertion length for a seat post. As the smallest reverb is 355mm this means that the lowest possible height of the seat, measuring from the saddle rail to the base of the reverb collar is 125mm or approx 4.7 inches, which seems quite high to me. I would like to be able to drop the saddle to the top of the collar but don't think it's possible on the trance. I would appreciate your help on this if possible.

:)

The 355mm Reverb only has a 100mm drop, the smallest with a 125mm drop is 380mm but by your sums even this one will have no probs in the Trance frame. Don't forget the Reverb collar is over 30mm too!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thanks for the responses guys. Appreciate it.
    Ready to take the plunge to buy online but just wanna make sure I am getting my numbers right first.
    Given that the seat post tube can accomodate a max of 230mm of seat post do you think I am correct in saying that the lowest height I can achieve measuring from the saddle rail to the top of the seat tube (bottom of collar) is 125mm (4.8" or 355mm minus the 230mm recessed) and that with the 380mm version I would be left 25mm higher (380-230=150) at my lowest setting?
    I have tested my saddle height at the above mentioned minimum and also at 100mm higher which would be the toggle setting for me and I am happy with both.
    Also, am I correct in thinking that the collar will not affect me because this minium height is still, at 4.8", 1.8" above the 3" collar length due to the limited seat tube depth.

Now I hope everyone isn't too confused! ;-) :lol:

Thanks again!
  • 25mm higher at your highest setting. With the 380mm/125mm you could still slam the the seat post all the way to the collar.

I think you're a bit confused. The stated length (of a reverb) is the length when fully extended (like any seatpost)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • exactly, you need a post length that, when fully extended, will be long enough to have AT LEAST the minimum insertion into the frame + be long enough for your highest riding height. From that point you just get to drop it 125mm (or 100mm). The lowest height will be 125mm lower than your standard riding height. That's it.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Bear in mind that the length you need is not only determined by the frame, but the length of YOUR LEGS too, so is personal to YOU. Nobody else can tell you what length you need.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Cool, going to go for the 380-125 drop.
    Thanks all for your help!
  • The size was perfect. 380 - 125. The trance seat post tube could accomodate all of the length of the seatpostl. I actually ended up bringing it out an inch or so. Installing it was a cinch. I didn't even need to use the bleeding kit it came with. The cable length was perfect. I went for a left sided one and mounted the remote button upside down on the right. Got a great deal of €219 here:

http://www.probikeshop.com/rockshox-rev ... 85509.html

Even cheaper price available of €179 if you dont get the bleeding kit.
    That's an amazing price, pretty much half of the price in my LBS.

Now to take it to the trails!! :-)