Nandos

dmclite-3.0
dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
edited September 2013 in The bottom bracket
My wife, and 2 boys ended up getting lunch at Nandos at Bluewater last week (daughter was at friends house) as we were birthday shopping for daughters 10th birthday. Anyhoo, hadn't been Nando's before and friends had raved about it, so we went. What a dissapointment. Scrawny chicken, get your own knives, forks plates and drinks. have to go up and order yourself, all the waiters (yeh) do is tidy up. £40 odd quid for lunch, chicken tasted nice, but a KFC is better and is what it is, not glorified chicken and chips ala rustic Portugese manufactured restaraunt in a mall. I sort of get it but it was ultimately sort of nice but dissapointing. Not going back, although not as bad as Frankie and Bennys, what a pile of shoite that place is. 8)
I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...

Comments

• I think you get good and bad dependant upon where you go, I went to one in Kuala Lumpar and they do table service. It was a bit different but ok, only criticism would be they leave the skin on the chicken and the girl taking our order looked at me like I'd just p!$$ed on her xmas tree when I asked them to cook the chicken without the skin on.

Cambridge and Plymouth (next to cinema) are table service if that's any use. :D
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    IIt was a bit different but ok, only criticism would be they leave the skin on the chicken....

I bet you like your steaks well done! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I love Nando's but then I would because flavoured chicken with flavoured rice is my favourite meal :D

While I love the food I have to agree about the ordering process, it's quite a complex menu where you choose your main dish and then a combination of side dishes and add ons and each one you have to decide what strength of sauce. So having to go to the counter to order is a nightmare especially when you're ordering for others as well; end up having to write down the orders. Much easier if the they'd just come to the table to take your order like most other places!
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    Nan-DOs,for me is a NanDON'T

Dreadful place. Chav central. Sorry Nandos fans, not my cup of tea.
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • It would be nice if you had a pen and paper handy, or.............what about a order form like when you fill out the lottery ticket and the nice person at the till just puts it in the machine like the lottery ? I maght have to write to Nandos and tell them this idea, might get a free (but mediocre) dinner !
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • It would be nice if you had a pen and paper handy, or.............what about a order form like when you fill out the lottery ticket and the nice person at the till just puts it in the machine like the lottery ? I maght have to write to Nandos and tell them this idea, might get a free (but mediocre) dinner !

Or have someone come around with the form, ask you what you want and them fill it in, would save a lot of time ;)
  • Yeah....there is that, missed the original point of my moan there didn't I ? :|
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    Tried Nando's 4 or 5 times now and each time I'm convinced I must have been unlucky with my previous meal, as Nando's seems so popular. But no, always the same. If you don't enjoy scrawny chicken and cold chips (rice is for curry house/Chinese only) avoid Nando's. Expensive fast food.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn wrote:
    Tried Nando's 4 or 5 times now and each time I'm convinced I must have been unlucky with my previous meal, as Nando's seems so popular. But no, always the same. If you don't enjoy scrawny chicken and cold chips (rice is for curry house/Chinese only) avoid Nando's. Expensive fast food.

You have said whats in my heart. Bless you.
  • its cr*p. nasty place populated by chavs mostly. imagine the conditions the poor chickens must live in.

still as i think with a lot of chains that come to the uk, the uk version/franchise, is absolutely gash compared with those in the original country.

not that i eat mcdonalds over here, as it makes me feel sick if i do (rarely if theres no other option when p*ssed), but comparitvely go into a mcdonalds in the US (which i do for novelty once a trip), and it pees all over the uk version, both in choice and imo not makign u feel as sick. the same can be said for other uk versions of US chains.

im not sure why, but i dont thnik these places work when they have been 'uk'ified' be it the people serving in them (the british attitude to working in such a place, even though lots who do work in them arnt british) or what. i think the uk has a tendency to crappify stuff.
  • VmanF3
    its cr*p. nasty place populated by chavs mostly. imagine the conditions the poor chickens must live in.

still as i think with a lot of chains that come to the uk, the uk version/franchise, is absolutely gash compared with those in the original country.

not that i eat mcdonalds over here, as it makes me feel sick if i do (rarely if theres no other option when p*ssed), but comparitvely go into a mcdonalds in the US (which i do for novelty once a trip), and it pees all over the uk version, both in choice and imo not makign u feel as sick. the same can be said for other uk versions of US chains.

im not sure why, but i dont thnik these places work when they have been 'uk'ified' be it the people serving in them (the british attitude to working in such a place, even though lots who do work in them arnt british) or what. i think the uk has a tendency to crappify stuff.

What a load of tosh.

Can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. These chains are sh1te to start with, don't blame the UK. US imported 'fast food' is utter rubbish, always will be, no matter the country. Only reason they're so popular around the globe, is so that unadventurous Americans can still eat crap wherever they are.
  • DM222
    DM222 Posts: 90
    seanoconn wrote:
    Expensive fast food.

+1

It's not awful food but for the price you'd expect more or better!
  • seanoconn
    VmanF3 wrote:
    its cr*p. nasty place populated by chavs mostly. imagine the conditions the poor chickens must live in.

What a load of tosh.

Can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. These chains are sh1te to start with, don't blame the UK. US imported 'fast food' is utter rubbish, always will be, no matter the country. Only reason they're so popular around the globe, is so that unadventurous Americans can still eat crap wherever they are.

Utter tosh. American fast food, while still crap, is far superior to the UK versions. And the quality of of Anerican food in general is far far superior, because Anericans won't accept the crap we do.
  • VmanF3
    Bolloxs

Having eaten my way around the world, the US, apart from some exceptional places, is by far one of the worst places in the world for good food overall. It's just ok. If you like your food in a bun, on a stick or the size of a house, then I'll agree - GO USA.
  • he who grows tired of US food grows tired of food itself.
  • surely this is subjective ont he tyoe of food you like?

the anglosphere food is all semi similar, and of the anglosphere the US and canada are much superior than british or antipodean low/mid end food.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Sounds like you should be having words with the friends who were giving it raving reviews rather than Nandos. I mean, what did you expect from a 'High Street' chain in a big shopping centre? :roll:

Best to pack some sarnies for Bluewater, when I've been dragged around the place I've yet to find anything there that is not mediocre and/or overpriced.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sounds like you should be having words with the friends who were giving it raving reviews rather than Nandos. I mean, what did you expect from a 'High Street' chain in a big shopping centre? :roll:

Best to pack some sarnies for Bluewater, when I've been dragged around the place I've yet to find anything there that is not mediocre and/or overpriced.

I only wanted to experience it as friends love it, and i thought I'd give it a go. Now its done, not doing it again but you do have to give things a try, don't you ?
    As a rule, I don't usually eat at Bluewater, it is dull, you're right there.
  • in the spirit of this thread, i will sampling the uks take on taco bell, this week at some stage, as i will be venturing into delightful basildon, and have heard there is one there somewhere. i predict it will be nasty.
  • VmanF3
    in the spirit of this thread, i will sampling the uks take on taco bell, this week at some stage, as i will be venturing into delightful basildon, and have heard there is one there somewhere. i predict it will be nasty.

I can virtually guarantee it'll be crap, look where it originated. US Taco Hell is bloody awful.
  • seanoconn
    VmanF3 wrote:
    Bolloxs

Having eaten my way around the world, the US, apart from some exceptional places, is by far one of the worst places in the world for good food overall. It's just ok. If you like your food in a bun, on a stick or the size of a house, then I'll agree - GO USA.
    Double bolloxs with a cherry on top

The UK has some of the best restaurants in the world but the food in 'general' (quality, variety, value) is so much better in America. Have you tried their steak? Or any meat for that matter. Even the simple sandwich doesn't compare. Cafe/diners, fast food, delis, restaurants, everything up to fine dining is superior. Yanks know how to eat.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I used to work away from home a lot so frequented a number of restaurants. In Leeds I thought I'd try Nandos.

My first two visits were OK but after a third visit I decided "No more". Pile of cr4p.

Then my missus heard about them and insisted we try there. So we went - twice - and then she decided "No more". Pile of cr4p.

Mr Mantis - I cannot believe you are supporting the USA fast and cheap food market. My limited experience of the USA is that you have to spend decent money to get decent food otherwise it is cr4p (and far to generous a portion). You have to ask yourself how do they do such serving sizes for such little money. The start with cr4p ingredients, employ monkeys and serve bigger monkeys. IMHO of course.

We ate here once, never again:

http://www.shoneys.com/default.html

The last item at the end of their breakfast buffet was a bain marie with a pot of hot Maple Flavoured Syrup and hot Liquid Cheese. The fat yanks were pouring these all over their healthy servings of fried chicken, hash browns, fresh fruit, pancakes, crispy bacon (all on one plate).
  • seanoconn wrote:
    VmanF3 wrote:
    Bolloxs

The UK has some of the best restaurants in the world but the food in 'general' (quality, variety, value) is so much better in America. Have you tried their steak? Or any meat for that matter. Even the simple sandwich doesn't compare. Cafe/diners, fast food, delis, restaurants, everything up to fine dining is superior. Yanks know how to eat.

spot on.

theres a reason they so fat.
  • VmanF3
    seanoconn wrote:
    VmanF3 wrote:
    Bolloxs

No they don't, they know quantity and average quality. Look at the size and health of Americans, we're getting there due to the proliferation of sh1te American style imported rubbish. At least Nandos tried something new here, which seems to be very popular for some reason.
  • the playing mantis
    the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
    edited August 2013
    VmanF3 wrote:
    in the spirit of this thread, i will sampling the uks take on taco bell, this week at some stage, as i will be venturing into delightful basildon, and have heard there is one there somewhere. i predict it will be nasty.

I can virtually guarantee it'll be crap, look where it originated. US Taco Hell is bloody awful.

ive actually only had taco bell twice, in the mid 2000's in NY on a uni field trip. ive never had it on any subsequent visits to the states, but i have to say, i seem to remember it being ok, i suppose i was student at the time and the novelty of a tex mex fast food chain was not lost on me, so that probably influecned my view, but i still remember it being better than tex mex stuff from places in London, that i have now, such as Tortilla or Wahaca, both of which are considered semi high end of takeaway stuff (at least by the chattering boho classes of london)

im looking at the website now...i will report back if i survive, a, the food, b, basildon or c, getting banned for non existent reasons.
  • VmanF3 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    VmanF3 wrote:
    Bolloxs

No they don't, they know quantity and average quality. Look at the size and health of Americans, we're getting there due to the proliferation of sh1te American style imported rubbish. At least Nandos tried something new here, which seems to be very popular for some reason.

yeah health wise its shite, but im with sean here, comparably to stuff here, taste and quality of manufactur its streets ahead.
    you can get a decent cheap lunch from any deli or dodgy looking joint in the places ive been (but is uppose if you dont like that kind of food per se you wont tlike american food)
  • good replies on here and a wealth of opinions, but can we all agree frankie and bennys is awful ?
  • Navrig wrote:
    I used to work away from home a lot so frequented a number of restaurants. In Leeds I thought I'd try Nandos.

My first two visits were OK but after a third visit I decided "No more". Pile of cr4p.

Then my missus heard about them and insisted we try there. So we went - twice - and then she decided "No more". Pile of cr4p.

Mr Mantis - I cannot believe you are supporting the USA fast and cheap food market. My limited experience of the USA is that you have to spend decent money to get decent food otherwise it is cr4p (and far to generous a portion). You have to ask yourself how do they do such serving sizes for such little money. The start with cr4p ingredients, employ monkeys and serve bigger monkeys. IMHO of course.

We ate here once, never again:

http://www.shoneys.com/default.html

The last item at the end of their breakfast buffet was a bain marie with a pot of hot Maple Flavoured Syrup and hot Liquid Cheese. The fat yanks were pouring these all over their healthy servings of fried chicken, hash browns, fresh fruit, pancakes, crispy bacon (all on one plate).

its a question of what we consdier good. im not refering to how healthy it is, i couldnt care less about that as im not eating the stuff reguarlly. im talking taste wise. (also the provenance of stuff is a cocern but i think grocery shopping there is cheaper quite a bit so that may go someway to explaining the cheapness of the end product)

that last thing sounds immense! i would consider that good food as a holiday blowout.
  • VmanF3
    good replies on here and a wealth of opinions, but can we all agree frankie and bennys is awful ?

Without hesitation.
  • i havent actually ever been in one, but i imagine its the same microwave stuff you would get in any 'chain' restuarant that you find affliated to cheap hotels or on spare bits of land on out of town shopping estates