Weekend in Scotland

Simbo_RFC
Simbo_RFC Posts: 20
edited September 2013 in Holidays
Hi, I've recently taken up mountain biking and I'm looking to go away for a wee weekend break, looking for some decent cross country tracks within an easy cycle of a campsite. Would like to be near a town/city couple of miles at most if that's possible, for some entertainment/ eating.
Have been thinking about fort William or glentress.

Any suggestions for me??.

Comments

• OTimms
    OTimms Posts: 14
    Simbo, we did Glentress last year for a couple of days.

You can hire a camping pod on site if you really wanted, not sure about using your own tent.

It's just outside Peebles (I think) so easy to get back into town on bike, although it's not exactly a destination for nightlife.
    The benefit of staying out that side of town is that you can carry on to Innerliethen about 2-3 miles further out. We preferred their XC trail to a majority of the Glentress riding.
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    There are the pods at Glentress, camping in Peebles, tons of B&B's, hotels about a mile and a half down the road.

If you want to see the sort of quality of the trails at Glentress, I've filmed and GPS'd them all, and they are here: http://www.trail-dog.co.uk/?page_id=44

Innerleithen xc is also on there, and is about 30min down the road by bike. They've just finished the path between Glentress and Innerleithen, so access is a lot easier and safer than riding down the main road.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    Try Aviemore/Rothiemurchus,loads of routes to do if you get a map from Bothy bikes like i did while up there last month,and Laggan is only a 40 min drive away,which is worth a visit in car

I did Burma Road/Laggan/Old logging road and a bit of Speyside way while up there,in total about 50 mile which took me about 9 hours including stopping for pics,which you will do a lot :D ,im looking at going back next year as there are a few more rides i want to do.