Decent Bike?

terryhughes
terryhughes Posts: 62
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
Hello, I'm in to cycling in the last 6 months and it's going well clocking up over 1300 miles on my mountain bike. I want a road bike but not sure I like the ride so looking at hybrids. I really like the boardman team comps but the Pinarello Treviso has really caught my eye. Is this a decent bike? I have £1000 to spend on a bike after Christmas so starting my research now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Links?

Treviso is no longer on the Pinarello webbie so you may not get one in January!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sazzaa
    sazzaa Posts: 17
    Hello, I'm in to cycling in the last 6 months and it's going well clocking up over 1300 miles on my mountain bike. I want a road bike but not sure I like the ride so looking at hybrids. I really like the boardman team comps but the Pinarello Treviso has really caught my eye. Is this a decent bike? I have £1000 to spend on a bike after Christmas so starting my research now.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, want to get a cyclocross instead of commuting on a mtb and have about a grand to spend. Had my eye on a Boardman Team CX but when I went into my local Halfords there were none in stock, the website had none in a medium size and the guy didn't seem to have a clue when they'd be available, just that "the new range will be out soon". No date or anything. It's really put me off buying anything from those shower of mongs.
  • Hello, I'm in to cycling in the last 6 months and it's going well clocking up over 1300 miles on my mountain bike. I want a road bike but not sure I like the ride so looking at hybrids. I really like the boardman team comps but the Pinarello Treviso has really caught my eye. Is this a decent bike? I have £1000 to spend on a bike after Christmas so starting my research now.

What do you mean about you don't like the 'ride'? You mean the position; as road bikes can vary in that from very aggressive racing posture to what are often called Sportive bikes which are a bit more upright.

You have to ask yourself what sort of riding you are doing. If it's going to be all on road or even with a bit of light gravel paths etc. then you'll want a road bike. The only reason to go hybrid is if you're spending a lot of time on off road unsealed paths.
  • sazzaa wrote:
    It's really put me off buying anything from those shower of mongs.

Yep, I don't like the idea of buying from Halfords again, loads of problems with them. I take my bike to a local shop to get seen to now, not letting them any where near it.
  • as road bikes can vary in that from very aggressive racing posture to what are often called Sportive bikes which are a bit more upright.

It's going to be all road. Anything else I have my mountain bike. what sort of bike would be the sportive bike? I want to spend £1000 so was looking at the Boardman team carbon but I assume that's more a racing bike. I may be tied to halfords again with the scheme but hopefully not.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Check out planet x for a couple of really good spec'd bikes around 1,000

I'm planning on ordering a SL in a couple of weeks
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • It's going to be all road. Anything else I have my mountain bike. what sort of bike would be the sportive bike? I want to spend £1000 so was looking at the Boardman team carbon but I assume that's more a racing bike. I may be tied to halfords again with the scheme but hopefully not.

Examples would include the Scott CR1/Solace and Trek Domane.