Rear shock advice

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just purchased a Specialized FSR XC on here.

The standard shock size is 190x50mm, what are my options bearing in mind i'm building on a budget?

I would love to go with a fox shock & i don't want to buy cheap buy twice (which could happen if i went with something like an epicon or raidon judging by the reviews).

I have been offered a 200x50mm Fox shock at a great price but i have reservations due to the additional 10mm on the eye to eye length, am i right in being concerned?

Thanks

Dean

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    It will alter the geometry and might change the way the bike feels. That might be a good or a bad thing.

I'm running a Fox 190 x 50 on my Trance X instead of 184x44 simply because I couldn't find a second hand 184mm shock to replace the Giant one. It works but it's not perfect.

Is there something wrong with the shock that's on the bike now?
  • cubedean
    I have purchased the frame without the shock as the shock was too expensive. Lets just say i've been offered a Float R 200x50mm for half the price of a 190x50mm.

Would 10mm make that much of a difference with the stroke length remaining the same?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Bike discount have some cheap rear shocks at the moment.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you think about it, the 50mm shock travel is giving you 120mm suspension travel, so almost 2.5 times. Magnify the 10mm by the suspension and that's 24mm.
    I think.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cubedean
    True I didn't think of it like that. I can also get the correct size fusion x 02 rl shock new for the same price as the incorrectly sized fox.

Which would you go for?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The right size one, obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    the only thing i would advise at this stage is that a Fox R will not give you the support you need in terms of a pedal platform. When i first bought the frame it had a crappy X Fusion shock on it, so i bought a Fox R cheap. Trouble is that the R has no compression damping, and regardless of what Specialized claim, the FSR platform does suffer quite badly from pedal bob

(the frame he has purchased is mine BTW)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    200x50 won't fit

what is your budget?
    cubedean wrote:
    I have just purchased a Specialized FSR XC on here.

The standard shock size is 190x50mm, what are my options bearing in mind i'm building on a budget?

I would love to go with a fox shock & i don't want to buy cheap buy twice (which could happen if i went with something like an epicon or raidon judging by the reviews).

I have been offered a 200x50mm Fox shock at a great price but i have reservations due to the additional 10mm on the eye to eye length, am i right in being concerned?

Thanks

Dean