Do I need an XC bike? Or an XC/Trail bike... or even a Trail

Welsh_Wizard
Welsh_Wizard Posts: 84
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Really confused at the moment regarding what constitutes the right bike for my riding style?

I love riding up hill as much as down hill. When I go down i usually stick to the blue and red trails as black and pro lines just aren't my cup of tea.

I like hitting a jump now and then but prefer long, sweeping technical descents where you get speed and have to use your brain a bit more than just point and shoot.

With that in mind, am I looking for a trail bike, an XC bike or an XC/trail bike.. different companies use different phrases and its really confusing.

Some thing is drawing me inexplicably to the Whyte 2014 T-129 Works model. Haven't even seen one in the flesh but due to the T-129s high regard for the 2013 model, i'm thinking this is a good starter point, based on previous reviews...

Any further thoughts??

cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Either would do the job. Get some test rides.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    XC or trail would suite, inevitable there is some blurring of the lines between the two, pick the one that suites you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Generally speaking, the way i see it XC bikes have anywhere between 80-120mm Travel, and then Trail bikes are usually from 120-150mm, but obviously its different from brand to brand and others my have an alternate opinion.
    So if you are unsure of which one to go for maybe look at something around the 120mm mark as it borderlines the two? See if you can demo some bikes at local shops and get a feel for what you think is best.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you need a bike - the question is do you want hard tail or full sus. something with 100-120mm front (same at back if you want FS) is going to be more than enough. I used to ride red trails on a ridged orange C16R
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    My rockrider is a fairly old school xc full susser albeit with 120mm of travel. The steep angles are only really a problem for me on really steep stuff, buti still managed to ride all the descents on Kirroughtree black this morning, and I'm no great rider, I think you'd be fine with either. Look at bikes with a good reputation for pedalling and climbing, Giant Anthem springs to mind straight away from your op, maybe a Trek Fuel?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Giant anthem sounds like it might be a good fit, either the 26" or 29".

Budget?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    POAH wrote:
    you need a bike - the question is do you want hard tail or full sus. something with 100-120mm front (same at back if you want FS) is going to be more than enough. I used to ride red trails on a ridged orange C16R

This is the real choice and is down to personal preference. Try a few test rides to see which you prefer. On the trails you mention either is fine. My preference is hard tails but thats just me.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    POAH wrote:
    I used to ride red trails on a ridged orange C16R
    Is that for extra sensitivity?

Or did you mean Rigid (as the Bishop would say to the actress)?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cheers for the replies...

I have got a hardtail at the moment which i am really enjoying but after a few years of thrashing, its starting to wear a bit.. with the mods i would like to do, its just a lot easier to go and buy a new bike :lol: . I have no doubt you will appreciate my logic.

I like the 120mm bikes being roughly XC with the 120-150mm being Trail...anything above that I'm assuming would fall into 'AM' or the 'DH' category????

I like the Giants and i like the Treks but i seem to be more fussed on getting a bike that you don't see that much..a Whyte, a Cube, an Ibis etc etc. I went to the new Bike Park Wales the other day and it was absolutely loaded with Spesh, Trek, Giant and Orange 5's (as lovely as they are, don't get me wrong...)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cheers for the replies...

I have got a hardtail at the moment which i am really enjoying but after a few years of thrashing, its starting to wear a bit.. with the mods i would like to do, its just a lot easier to go and buy a new bike :lol: . I have no doubt you will appreciate my logic.

I like the 120mm bikes being roughly XC with the 120-150mm being Trail...anything above that I'm assuming would fall into 'AM' or the 'DH' category????

I like the Giants and i like the Treks but i seem to be more fussed on getting a bike that you don't see that much..a Whyte, a Cube, an Ibis etc etc. I went to the new Bike Park Wales the other day and it was absolutely loaded with Spesh, Trek, Giant and Orange 5's (as lovely as they are, don't get me wrong...)

cubes are hugely popular also btw ;) but great bikes.

the problem you'll have with 'minority' brands is that it's hard to try before you buy.

personally, knowing what riding there is in south wales i'd say go for a 140mm travel all round, do it all bike. I have a friend who went for a lapierre x-control (120mm) and has regretted not getting a zesty (140mm). but I suppose it depends on the type of riding you do. another friend has a trek ex8 (120mm) and loves it, but he goes really slow on the downs but flies on the ups
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    what Kev says, really.

I would go out of my mind on a 120mm bike here in Wales where a bigger slacker bike can be soooo much more fun on the downs.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    don't get lured into getting a bike with too much travel, I had a Trek ex8 with 120mm travel both ends and it was more than capable on the rough stuff up and down (and I don't hang about!). It's more about the rider than the bike
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • welshkev
    dusk wrote:
    don't get lured into getting a bike with too much travel, I had a Trek ex8 with 120mm travel both ends and it was more than capable on the rough stuff up and down (and I don't hang about!). It's more about the rider than the bike

yes and no, I've had a cove stiffee for just over a year and have just changed it for a santa cruz nomad. now I thought I was quick on the stiffee, but fark me i'm so much quicker on the nomad and the ride is a lot smoother too.
  • dusk
    I did eventually up my travel to 160mm but I also sold my dh bike at the same time, you see a lot more people with too much bike than not enough imo and their skills won't improve as much as they could because of it
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Thewaylander
    dusk wrote:
    I did eventually up my travel to 160mm but I also sold my dh bike at the same time, you see a lot more people with too much bike than not enough imo and their skills won't improve as much as they could because of it

This makes no sense at all you know... and if its trying to say what i think you are it's total pap.
  • dusk
    Enlighten me then
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Thewaylander
    too much bike than not enough?

It's been had out on this forum many times if you can be overbiked and the results were always the same.. no its a question of style of rider.

The mindless more than 120mm is too much drivel drives me nuts. I love the angles of my 160mm bike, way slack hanging in on steep stuff but pedals so well! i do many many miles on it in total comfort, excellent. I used to get off my 120mm bike and feel utterly battered and sore.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    too much bike than not enough?

It's been had out on this forum many times if you can be overbiked and the results were always the same.. no its a question of style of rider.

The mindless more than 120mm is too much drivel drives me nuts. I love the angles of my 160mm bike, way slack hanging in on steep stuff but pedals so well! i do many many miles on it in total comfort, excellent. I used to get off my 120mm bike and feel utterly battered and sore.

Agree with this, I'm happy as larry with 120mm but its not as slack as I'd like. I hardly ever bottom out and it pedals pretty well even with a crappy shock. If someone made a cheap 120mm FS with 67ish deg HA 74ish seat and a longer TT I'd snap one up. As it is, for those angles I'm looking at 150-170mm bikes
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • 140-160mm travel is perfect for the majority of the riding in South Wales.... assuming you're riding trail centres or the fun off piste stuff.

Just done a 14km loop on my Canyon (180mm), did some XC, some AM, and some downhill... love it!
  • Don't you find you lose power on a longer travel FS uphill? Isn't it too spongey?
  • Depends how efficient the suspension is and how powerful your legs are I guess... not really rhought about it.

The Canyon climbs fine (its about 38lb so is a bit of a bruiser), but I'm not bothered, just makes you fitter.
  • Id actually say that the Canyon climbs better than my old 150mm Meta 5 ever did!
  • welshkev
    Don't you find you lose power on a longer travel FS uphill? Isn't it too spongey?

on a 140mm travel bike the difference will be negligiable over a 120mm bike. i'm riding a 160mm travel bike that climbs great and that's me coming from a hardtail :D
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    welshkev wrote:
    Don't you find you lose power on a longer travel FS uphill? Isn't it too spongey?

on a 140mm travel bike the difference will be negligiable over a 120mm bike. i'm riding a 160mm travel bike that climbs great and that's me coming from a hardtail :D
    I think it'll depend on the bike as well, I noticed a significant difference between 140mm and 160mm - Zesty vs Spicy and now my Strive. The Zesty flew up hills comparatively. Overall I'd much prefer a "bigger" bike though for my riding style and locations although most of the time I'd probably be better off back on the Zesty.
  • welshkev
    Woody80 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

I think it'll depend on the bike as well, I noticed a significant difference between 140mm and 160mm - Zesty vs Spicy and now my Strive. The Zesty flew up hills comparatively. Overall I'd much prefer a "bigger" bike though for my riding style and locations although most of the time I'd probably be better off back on the Zesty.

yeah good point, I should have said I agreed with northern monkey's post before mine about what shock etc
  • Thewaylander
    Exactly the amount of travel only has so much impact to how the bike rides.

Angles, top tube lengths, shock settings for effiency all these have more of an overall impact to the ride of the bike, though weight is a factor(going up in travel does normally push up the weight but not so much these days).
  • Exactly the amount of travel only has so much impact to how the bike rides.

Angles, top tube lengths, shock settings for effiency all these have more of an overall impact to the ride of the bike, though weight is a factor(going up in travel does normally push up the weight but not so much these days).
    Indeed, I was going to say something similar but got lost in my own words lol!

You always need to compromise, you just have to decide where.
  • Just found this topic through the search facility as I'm dithering purchasing a full sus myself and have found I'm questioning how much travel do I need. Whilst I have been looking at 140mm travel bikes I can't help think that a 120mm 29er would be fine I mean isn't that what all the fuss has been about, being able to do more with less? There is a video on you tube of a rider on an 80mm 29 er following a rider on a full on dh bike down a trail. Or is it all down to its not what you ride but how you can ride it anyway and I'm trying to compensate for my skill level or lack there off?
    Do Tarmac loving riders have this many quandaries ????
  • Its more about geometry than suspension travel. Riding style and ability count for a lot as well. Get some demo rides and see what you like.
    Personally I really dislike the latest super slack and long travel trail bikes, I find a short travel xc bike more fun to ride.