Garmin edge 800 mount problems

ianspeare
ianspeare Posts: 110
edited August 2013 in Road general
I bought a Garmin 800 last week. Went for my first ride today and at one point, the unit fell out from the mount luckily it didn't get run over- I would have been gutted if it did! The o ring was still in place. When I got home, I turned the ring 180 degrees round, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

It seems like it needs a rubber washer or something to make it fit a bit better. The other I thought was putting a bit of blue tack or putty in the ring to make it a bit more secure. Anyone else have any experience of this?

Comments

• rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    buy yourself a Garmin Out Front Mount....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Out-fr ... 4851fd699c
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Post a picture of the mount
  • ianspeare
    Just on the stem at the mo
  • I presume you mean the garmin fell out of the mounting bracket, not that the bracket came off the stem? I use the standard garmin mounts and a k-edge and have never had this happen. On the standard mount you can feel the unit locate on the detents of the bracket as you centre it.
  • ianspeare
    I presume you mean the garmin fell out of the mounting bracket, not that the bracket came off the stem? I use the standard garmin mounts and a k-edge and have never had this happen. On the standard mount you can feel the unit locate on the detents of the bracket as you centre it.

Yes that's it. I think it got nudge out of the indents at some point and swivelled around as I leaned into the corner. I'll try the other ring that it came with
  • Are you using the rubber grommet which fits under the hard plastic mount? I thought this was just to provide some additional cushioning for the unit but may also apply addition pressure to the detents?
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    I have had various bikes fitted with the standard mount and have ridden cross country, fast downhill on less than perfect surfaces, along off road trails and have never had a problem.
    Maybe the rubber grommet does provide some additional pressure!.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    I've tested some of the 'outfront' mounts and the Barfly 2.0 is nice. Also not the most expensive one in the market, definitely worth a purchase.

Although I have the outfront on my road bike, I've still got the stock Garmin stem mount on my hybrid and even with my recent crash, the Garmin 800 still remained on the bike.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Does anyone have a way of mounting a Garmin onto a set of triathlon aerobars?

Do you have an out in front mount sticking out to one side of an aero bar? As the Garmin wont fit on my stem.

I have came up with a temporary solution... the bars have a bracket to hold a waterbottle between the aerobars very similar to this
    pd_a_hydration_aqualite-basebar-bracket.jpg

Profile%20Design%20Aerodrink%20Bracket.jpg

With the water bottle removed the Garmin Edge by shear coincidence sits nicely in the space of the mouting bracket, but the Garmin is held in place with blutac and a bit of sellotape. Not exactly secure and means I'm getting thirsty. Any advice?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    RaceWare Direct have TT specific mounts. I used them on my old Profile Design extensions and now on my Pro Missile ones.
    http://www.racewaredirect.co.uk/#/shop-main/4559567824/Garmin-Mounts
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg