BB30

sonofray
sonofray Posts: 4
edited August 2013 in Workshop
So, I have a creaking FSA BB30 on my Cannondale after 500ish dry miles. I know it is the BB after changing pedals, making sure the seat was ok, all crank bolts are torqued, all stem and handlebar bolts are torqued and made sure the BB shell underneath is not cracked.
I have stripped the crankset, cleaned the BB and re-greased it where needed and put it back together, torqued it, and stays good for or about 4 miles then starts creaking again.
It is worth taking to my LBS to have the bearings taken out and sorted or is it going to be worth getting a new set of BB for it such as a Chris King set or a SRAM set.
I am currently running an FSA Gossamer chainset. Maybe its worth getting an adapter to convert to a Shimano set up.
Any thoughts as it is driving me mad.

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Mine started creaking very loudly recently, I put a lot of grease on the spline ends, tightened it up good and now it's fine. You could also put grease on the inside diameter of the bearings.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,524
    it's possible that the creak is due to the bb shell bond with the frame failing, have a good look for any sign of a crack around the outside of the shellm, if it's that then warranty time

otherwise, it's a sign of poor tolerances, either in the bb shell or the bearings - clean the bearing seats and spindle, look for any areas showing signs of uneven wear, that may indicate where the problem is

greasing the shell before fitting the bearings may solve it, antiseize may also do it, otherwise many people use loctite 609 or 641
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks for the replys. If I was to clean the bearing seats does that mean remove the actual bearings etc. Is that a job for the lbs because of tools that are needed?
  • antfly
    Just generously grease the spindle at each end first, that should do it. No need to touch the bearings yet.
  • sungod
    removal tool (use with a drift and rubber mallet)...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... -prod36371

fitting tool (use with headset press or long bolt+nut+big washers)...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... -prod36370
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    welcome to the world of BB30 - it is a fact of BB30 life I'm afraid.

Get an adapter and fit a non-BB30 BB instead.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Think I will. Looking at 105 crankset and an adapter to convert.
  • antfly
    That's a whole load of new problems.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    "Life of BB30"...

I'll accept that then, I'm also having creak sounds, hasn't annoyed me enough to start looking beyond seat post/pedals yet but I'll take the guess that it's also the BB on my Cannondale.
  • antfly
    I have a Cannondale too, at risk of repeating myself the problem is usually solved by plenty of grease on the spindle splines and tightening it up good. Have a read of this.

http://volagi.com/blog/how-bb30-overhau ... eplacement
  • sungod
    smidsy wrote:
    welcome to the world of BB30 - it is a fact of BB30 life I'm afraid.

Get an adapter and fit a non-BB30 BB instead.

unsubstantiated nonsense yet again from a serial troller of b30 threads

mine doesn't creak, that proves you wrong, that's a fact, you're wrong, you post nonsense

i see plenty of other people riding bb30 bikes, they're not creaking, that's a fact

another fact is that there are far more posts about creaking issues with non-bb30 bikes, and another fact is that i've heard a few doing it

does that mean all non-bb30 bikes creak or have bb issues? of course not

unless you can prove your statement with credible evidence of bb30 population vs. bb30 units with an issue you are simply trolling and vindictively misleading people looking for a sensible resolution to their problem
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Using your logic I can prove it.

The OP's BB30 creaks FACT - so I am right.

My non BB30 does not creak FACT - so I am right.

Now go and bother someone who is actually wrong.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Every other day there seems to be a new post about these bb 30 bottom brackets creaking so lets face it Mr sungod, there must be a problem with them. I myself personally think they're a crap design, there's got to be a limit to the number of times you can knock the bearings out and then pressfit new ones in, what happens when the shell wears out?